05 wrx or an 05 srt-4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 wrx or an 05 srt-4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey whats up guys, i live in the OC and im 17 right now but im looking for a new ...

05 wrx or an 05 srt-4

hey whats up guys, i live in the OC and im 17 right now but im looking for a new car around 20-23k but im not exactly sure what is better buy. Ive been going to Irvine subaru a lot just looking around but what would u guys recomend as in speed, Handling, daily driver, reliability, and bang for the buck. Ive been reading around these forums a lot lately and ive learned so much about wrxs and my friend has a 04 wrb which i would love to have. But yea i should be buying one of those next week...well my parents are gona help me with the down payment and il be paying taxes and license etc.. and il be paying the monthly. Thanks a lot guyz just let me know any sugestions would help a lot.
    Thanks
    -joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would test drive both and see what you like. Reliability, safety, and longevity the Subaru wins hands down. Handling, the SRT4 wins except in inclement conditions. Also, the dodge engine is pretty reliable *if you get a good one*. With Dodge, there's a lot of hit and miss build quality.

Both are moddable. The SRT4 is cheaper to mod for gains, but both have great potential. If you can't afford to lose your warranty, I would go with Dodge.

They're different cars. Drive both.

I am not bias in the least bit and are often criticized here for recommending other cars over the wrx, but in this situation, get the wrx. Most everything you named that is important to you can be found in the wrx and not really found in the SRT-4.
    Speed: The SRT4 is actually the faster car, stock and mod for mod. Though, the wrx is not that far behind.
    Handling: Wrx is far superior in this catagory.
    reliability: Again, the wrx is far superior. Although the SRT4 does pretty well with its drivetrain holding good amounts of power, the overall car is not that reliable and since you are young and looking for a daily driver the wrx is the undoubtable reliability winner.
    daily driver: SRT4 sucks to sit in for more than 30minutes. The dash is extrememly filled with ultra cheap plastics, the "viper" seats are terribly uncomfortable, and the ride is not the greatest.

If you were looking for a huge amount of horsepower and just a balls to the wall fast car I would say go for the SRT4 and mod it, but since you are also concerned with reliability, practicality, handling, and it being a daily driver... Hands down the wrx is the superior automobile here.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

^^^^Good answers.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    another vote for the WRX...for what you are looking for, it's the better buy
    2003 SRT-4

Seats

I don't understand why the "Non" SRT owners always say the SRT seats suck and are uncomfortable? I'm 6'4, 210lbs and I drive 120 miles everyday, I have an 03 SRT with over 78K and my seats feel awesome. Holds you in tight and comfy and everyone who sits in my car can't beleive they come stock!

The SRT reliability is 2 thumbs up IMO. 78K modded, and still on stock clutch/ tranny/ motormounts, with countless drag/track days. Only problem I've had, was a broken axle at the track, replaced under warranty with mods, and a Bad Radio The handling on the SRT is awesome aswell for FWD!

Speed, well we already now that one
    Stg. 0
    -380hp & 437lbs-
    No NOS

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilgrey
    I would test drive both and see what you like. Reliability, safety, and longevity the Subaru wins hands down. Handling, the SRT4 wins except in inclement conditions. Also, the dodge engine is pretty reliable *if you get a good one*. With Dodge, there's a lot of hit and miss build quality.

Both are moddable. The SRT4 is cheaper to mod for gains, but both have great potential. If you can't afford to lose your warranty, I would go with Dodge.

They're different cars. Drive both.
    he lives in southern california, inclement conditions are none existent.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I am not bias in the least bit and are often criticized here for recommending other cars over the wrx, but in this situation, get the wrx. Most everything you named that is important to you can be found in the wrx and not really found in the SRT-4.
    Speed: The SRT4 is actually the faster car, stock and mod for mod. Though, the wrx is not that far behind. TRUE
    Handling: Wrx is far superior in this catagory. NOT TRUE are almost equals and the acr is faster in the turns be a large margin, say 2seconds in a 40sec course.reliability: Again, the wrx is far superior. Although the SRT4 does pretty well with its drivetrain holding good amounts of power, the overall car is not that reliable and since you are young and looking for a daily driver the wrx is the undoubtable reliability winner.
    ALSO NOT TRUE, subaru impreza claimed the number one spot as the most lemoned lawed car in 04 with like 27000 as where the neon as a whole was 5k.daily driver: SRT4 sucks to sit in for more than 30minutes. The dash is extrememly filled with ultra cheap plastics, the "viper" seats are terribly uncomfortable, and the ride is not the greatest. thats bias on how you like your interiors but i do aggree but like my car enough not to care.
    If you were looking for a huge amount of horsepower and just a balls to the wall fast car I would say go for the SRT4 and mod it, but since you are also concerned with reliability, practicality, handling, and it being a daily driver... Hands down the wrx is the superior automobile here.
    also no doubt the wrx does everything well not just a few things like the srt4, you won't see it speeding the rain for snow or holding its value either.
    latest car and driver comparo
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164551
    2004 lemon law list
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...=impreza+lemon
    Last edited by 2004NeonSRT4; 08-05-2005 at 03:00 PM.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

thats not a regular srt4, thats the acr version. Also at the end of the comparison, rsx type s fisnihed 1st overall, wrx was 2nd and srt4 was 3rd. I have the magazine.

And your ''lemon law'' list is bs cause BBB is bullsh!t. Just a bunch of rich prick lawyers who will make articles to make money. People reported tranny problems to them from 02/03 wrx's and they added every single one and made a list. They also tried to sue subaru of course it didnt work cause 90 percent of the so called victims had been drag racing/auto xing/road racing/street racing etc etc

EDIT: bbb made that lemon list, if you complain about a cupholder they count you as a statistic. When your trying to sue somebody, you make articles like that.
    Last edited by AwdTurboWrx; 08-05-2005 at 03:08 PM.

anyway, if you want all speed get a srt4, if you want more better all around car get a wrx. You live in southern california so i dont think weather should matter. Subaru was #1 in reliability in the last consumer reports test. No way in hell i would call the srt4 unreliable. It can handle a lot more power than a wrx can without breaking. Only problem is fwd so at the end your spinning. Either car is a good choice, if you do decide on the srt4 get the acr version with the upgraded suspension. They actually tested that around a track with a m3 and it was a close matchup. Good luck with your decision, either one is a good one.

and to defend my subaru people here, 300awhp> 300fwhp

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    and to defend my subaru people here, 300awhp> 300fwhp

501rwhp > 300awhp > 300fwhp

2003 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by StoplightWarrior
    501rwhp > 300awhp > 300fwhp

very true

but 501awhp> 501 rwhp just ask the cobra guys who raced the ams evo

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    very true

but 501awhp> 501 rwhp just ask the cobra guys who raced the ams evo
    Yea, a friend of mine has a 505rwhp cobra (basically same mods as I have) and ran a 475whp evo and lost.
    2003 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by SRT THIS
    I don't understand why the "Non" SRT owners always say the SRT seats suck and are uncomfortable? I'm 6'4, 210lbs and I drive 120 miles everyday, I have an 03 SRT with over 78K and my seats feel awesome. Holds you in tight and comfy and everyone who sits in my car can't beleive they come stock!

The SRT reliability is 2 thumbs up IMO. 78K modded, and still on stock clutch/ tranny/ motormounts, with countless drag/track days. Only problem I've had, was a broken axle at the track, replaced under warranty with mods, and a Bad Radio The handling on the SRT is awesome aswell for FWD!

Speed, well we already now that one
    but hands down. WRX seat are the most comfortable I've ever sat in on this side of a lazy boy. I'm almost tempted to try and fit a set in the jetta

i liked the 02/03 seats better than 04/05 seats. Or is it only 05 that seats are different?? i forgot. I like my sti seats better. BUT his right, srt4 seats are actually comfortable, nothing else in the car is but who cares. Your paying for performance, not comfort.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.