350z compared to the WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 350z compared to the WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Since I dont own an Impreza WRX yet, I cant say. How does a Cobb Stage 2 compare to a ...

350z compared to the WRX

Since I dont own an Impreza WRX yet, I cant say. How does a Cobb Stage 2 compare to a 350z anywhere under 110 mph? From a roll, im not worried about the start . And how about a VF-34 running on Cobbs Accessport map, how would that compare to a Z?
    I love both cars, and Im trying to gauge where I want to start modding. So any critizism on this will help.
    -Patrick
    when the turbo spins the bull**** ends

My mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's a post in here about me racing an automatic 350z which you can read if you want. Seems like most Cobb Stage 2 cars trap around 100mph which is the same as a stock manual transmission 350z. Going by the trap speed I'd say the two would be very close up to 110mph.

Jason
    1998 Turbo Neon..My own Stage 42
    2004 WRX Wagon....getting rid of it

If you don't nee 4 doors and 4 seats get the 350Z. I almost got one instead of the WRX, and I'd trade mine for a 350 any day if I didn't need a 4 door. I think you could definitely mod a 350z to be faster than a WRX
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

^^ Yea, but someone had told me that exhaust, headers, and intakes dont do much to those cars. And the cheapest FI kit costs over 4 grand . Thats why I was wondering how the VF-34 compared against a stock or slightly modded Z?

My mods

why not go for an STI if you have enough dough for the 350Z?
    Quote Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey
    I have a tauren shaman level 52 on the Tichondrious server.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotguntc88
    Try going without underwear (old hippie day thing that I never got over)

Pee dribbles on your jeans when you park it back in.

I dont have the dough, im getting it used, and Im 90% sure im getting the Rex. But back to the topic....

My mods

Are you guys serious? A stage II WRX would wax a stock or lightly modded 350Z. Why does everybody think these cars are so fast? Yeah they look really cool but come on they're mid-14 second cars stock and high 13s to low 14s with some basic bolt-ons. Now don't get me wrong. If I had the choice and didn't have to worry about snow or four doors or any of that I'd get the 350Z because they are very nice cars, but they also cost an extra $3,000-$4,000 over a WRX. Stage II WRXs (with reflash up and turboback) usually run between 13.4-13.8 and you're still not spending the money you would on a 350z. But they ARE sweet cars.
    WRX 2004 Cobb Stage II (91) w/Helix DP ... 13.8@96.

I need an uppipe and an exhaust!

Do you need 4 doors?

The Z is fairly quick, classy, and comfortable. Since you won't see much snow in Houston, it's a very good option. But if you're looking for something to modify with superior bang-for-the-buck potential, IMO, EVO > STi > 350Z.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

A 350z is way faster stock, but for 1500 bucks you can mod a WRX like crazy, and it will beat a 350z. 1500 bucks spent on a Z does not get you much at all. To really move the power on a Z you better be ready to get into turbos, superchargers or NOS.

My 350z was gorgeous, it was fast and stuck on the (dry) road way better than a WRX. But the 350z was not built well enough to cost as much as it did. I am happier in my WRX, and someday, it will be just as fast.

Do a search on 350zs and Saab 9-2x to read the saga of deciding to unload the Z, get jerked by the Saab dealer, and end up buying a brand new WRX from a skateboarding STI owner.

Those opinions answer my questions. See if I had some mula, and wasnt in college id definitly take the Z and slap a turbo kit on it. But since I want something turbo and something cheap to build fast, a WRX would be a wise choice. And since yall say a Stage 2 could beat a Z fairly easily, thats great...because I can do that in no time. Im hoping the VF-34 will Easily beat a slightly modded Z. Will this happen biotches?!
    Last edited by WrxRick; 08-02-2005 at 08:06 PM.

My mods

from a stop - the stage 2 WRX will walk the 350Z.
    from a roll - it will be pretty even.

^^ and with a VF-34???

My mods

Cobb stage2 wrx vs 2005 (298hp) 350Z 6MT = wrx winning from a dig with a good driver and wrx losing from a roll. The old 350Z's were trapping 100/101mph and the new ones are going for 102mph and some cases even 103mph. This is out of the range of a stage2 wrx. Granted, the 350Z does not respond that well to mods, but with basic stuff like plenum, intake, exhaust they can run as good as mid 13's with a few freaks in the low 13's and be trapping 104mph or so. So no, they are not slow in the least bit. A cobb stage2.5 (VF34) would take one from both a dig and a roll.
    So basically assuming both are manual and both have good drivers:

stage2 vs stock 350Z = wrx from a dig, 350Z from a roll.

stage2 vs bolt on 350Z = close race from a dig and 350Z taking the rolling the race.

stage2.5 vs stock or bolt on 350Z = wrx winning in both catagories, but from a roll it would be REALLY close with a bolt on Z.

A lot of people hate on the 350Z because they expect it to be an 11sec car or something It was designed to be a decently powerful, good handling, and good breaking car that looks really good while doing all that. And it does all that just fine IMO. Granted, it could be a bit faster, but high 13's is not bad at all.

O yeah, if you are trying to decide which to buy.... If you do not have a family or usually drive friends around and do not deal with snow get the 350Z hands down. If you have a winter beater to use then still get the Z.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    If you do not have a family or usually drive friends around and do not deal with snow get the 350Z hands down. If you have a winter beater to use then still get the Z.
    +1
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I ran a friend's 350Z, he's probably got almost 300HP at the crank. I've got complete exhaust setup and an XEDE for engine management. He pulled past me after 100MPH. There's a video somewhere here. My launch was junk but I still managed to pull him a bit before he got me.

I don't think a Z would stand a chance against a WRX with a turbo upgrade but I can't say for sure. We'll eventually find out because I'm gonna make him run me after I get my VF22 all setup.

If you're looking for speed you'll get more bang for your buck if you go with the WRX. Upgrading turbo motors is easy. The Z is an old person mid-life crisis car for the guy that doesn't wanna have too much fun because he risks a heart attack. I KID!
    2003 WRX 5MT sedan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast