05 STI Vs 05 M3 ( 6Spd ) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 STI Vs 05 M3 ( 6Spd ) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; These cars can not be compared.....in my opinion. My brother has an 05SMG which is way better than the 6spd, ...

These cars can not be compared.....in my opinion.

My brother has an 05SMG which is way better than the 6spd, but thats another story. And the car is just ****, luxury and power in one. There are little things I could go on forever over that make the extra money worth while, but alot of the fools on here probably dont appreciate those things........... you wont appreciate an M3 completely until you experience it, it wouldnt even be a question for me.......

Not sure where the STi is superior.....

Status....M3
    Luxury...M3
    Chick magnet...M3
    build quality....M3

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you could afford it i would get the M3...the only thing that i see the sti better at is wet weather driving due to the AWD....the M3 has no weight in the rear and it is easy to have step out on you in the wet if you drive a little to agressively...my g/f has an M3 and her brother had and STI before his range rover...if i had the $ i would get the M3
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

thanks guys! you guys have been alot of help, very helpfull, and not like other forums that favor their car, you guys are not bias, tahts kool thanks again. I will keep you guys posted on what my decision comes out too. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by converted
    These cars can not be compared.....in my opinion.

My brother has an 05SMG which is way better than the 6spd, but thats another story. And the car is just ****, luxury and power in one. There are little things I could go on forever over that make the extra money worth while, but alot of the fools on here probably dont appreciate those things........... you wont appreciate an M3 completely until you experience it, it wouldnt even be a question for me.......

Not sure where the STi is superior.....

Status....M3
    Luxury...M3
    Chick magnet...M3
    build quality....M3
    performance sti ( if you wanna mod, if your thinking about a sti your gonna mod it, i hope)
    quality?? i wouldnt be too sure since bmw doesnt do to well when it comes to reliability, e46 m3's love to blow engines also. They are just really 2 totally different cars, if you can afford the 60k and your not planning on modding much than get a m3 be happy. Its an awesome car and its just more professional overall. I just wanted to point out that sti is superior in some ways, but those ways might not matter to you, it really depends on what you want.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    performance sti ( if you wanna mod, if your thinking about a sti your gonna mod it, i hope)
    quality?? i wouldnt be too sure since bmw doesnt do to well when it comes to reliability, e46 m3's love to blow engines also. They are just really 2 totally different cars, if you can afford the 60k and your not planning on modding much than get a m3 be happy. Its an awesome car and its just more professional overall. I just wanted to point out that sti is superior in some ways, but those ways might not matter to you, it really depends on what you want.
    It also depends on your definition of performance.

The STi is has more aggressive and raw performance, where as the M3 is a complete drivers car. It will accelerate MUCH better and the overall handling feel is superior. He said he does not plan to mod the STi because of the warranty... so purchasing an STi and not modding it is a bit of a waste IMO.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Since when did the e46 have a problem with the engine............

um, dont know where your getting your info, they had a recall for the rod problem in 02-04's, but the 05 is fine, and even then it was completely taken care of via the dealer.

so, that is a false statement. You may have heard one blow up, but you dont know what the real story was behind it.

if your not modding the STi to somewhat of an extreme, (TBE, coilovers, etc) you are crazy to pass ont he M3!
    05 SMG M3
    04' WRX
    01' M5
    soontobetwinturboE92

Or an 06 350z track with 300 crank, 18's brembos, and sport suspension...only 32K

blowing engine...

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    provide some more information on this....i am curious.....
    C
    05 SMG M3
    04' WRX
    01' M5
    soontobetwinturboE92

Quote Originally Posted by WRX=Imprezzed
    Since when did the e46 have a problem with the engine............

um, dont know where your getting your info, they had a recall for the rod problem in 02-04's, but the 05 is fine, and even then it was completely taken care of via the dealer.

so, that is a false statement. You may have heard one blow up, but you dont know what the real story was behind it.

if your not modding the STi to somewhat of an extreme, (TBE, coilovers, etc) you are crazy to pass ont he M3!
    they had problems, they have had recalls. Friends 04 m3 had a recall and went in for service. According to him it had something to do with an engine. I dont care if the dealer covers it or not, problems are still problem covered by warranty or not. I know another guy who's m3 is now at bmw dealer for ac problems, its an 05. Its the second trip its had to dealership since purchase. Yes he gets a rental and they cover it but he still doesnt have his car, i wouldnt exactly call m3's reliable.

edit: i just talked to my friend, he says 2001 have record of blowing motors. Rest have had recalls up till 2004, we'll wait to see what happens with 05. After a car has been out for years, those problems of course get solved so later year e46 will have less problems than older ones.
    Last edited by AwdTurboWrx; 08-01-2005 at 08:53 PM.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    Or an 06 350z track with 300 crank, 18's brembos, and sport suspension...only 32K
    Problem with the Z is the lack of rear seats.

Honestly, if you dont want to $60k on an M3, but want something more daily driver friendly than an STi and a bit more luxurious... Just get a G35c and supercharge it.
    G35c has good performance, good refinement, luxury, etc.. and with a supercharger (which are pretty reliable) and a set of coilovers you could be set for about $45k. This way you have speed, luxury, etc... all in one. But you mentioned you were not crazy about modding because of warranty issues, so I dont know if this idea will appeal to you. If anything get a G35c and throw a couple of bolt on's in it (exhaust, plenum, intake). That would be the next step down from an M3 and still run mid 13's and have nice interior and great exterior looks.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Thanks DTR Rex i have considerd the G35 coupe and it is still a very good canidate for me, i just had to limit my options and the g35 was the last of the bunch to get cut, so im stuck with the STI and M3. Lets clear some things up, i am willing to do stuff to the next car i purchase, i will have to its just not possible to not upgrade my car. Im talking about bigger turbo's, Swapping intercoolers, that sorta stuff that will void warranty pretty easily, while very appealing to me, just makes me want to wait till my warranty is done with, so i can mod awway, but Turbo back exhaust, coil overs, intake, BOV that sorta stuff will be done, if i get the m3, intake, exahaust coil overs are a must! Im looking for a daily driver, that i can romp on when romping is needed, a car that can be nice and comfortable when needed, and have superior speed and handling when messed with. So thats why im stuck with the STI and M3, the STi can whip around corners like there is no tommorow, the M3 can also but not on the same scale as the STi, im not sure how much of a diffrence there is in handling. 1/4 is a drivers race from what i hear, freeway race gose to the M3, but how about a STi with Intake, Full exhaust, coil overs, little bolt ons. Would it be able to hang with or beat a stock or lightly modded m3? on the freeway i mean. Thanks for you'r guy's help, you guys have been more then helpfull and resourcefull, keep up the good work!

I Support ClubWRX
    It it is any help to you at all, a driving instructor and I swapped cars at Summit for a few hot laps. Both of us were able to achieve a 1.0-1.5 second advantage in the STi against his E46 (04). The top end on the E46 is very nice when compared to a stock STi. A mere stage 2 on the STi will make even that edge dissapear. However, no amount of money will make a fat-butted, snub nosed, NHRA hood scooped, F1-Winged STi into a beauty like the M3. And yes....I love the STi's looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

M3 anyday since i loved bimmers since i was 16 and i had a 328 for 5 years before i bought my wrx....
    I would also consider a G35c --- great middle ground.....

Drive both and youll see....M3 will make you and the ladies cream...lol
    2003 ASPEN WHITE WRX
    ------------------------
    Stage 2 !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_montana87
    Thanks DTR Rex i have considerd the G35 coupe and it is still a very good canidate for me, i just had to limit my options and the g35 was the last of the bunch to get cut, so im stuck with the STI and M3. Lets clear some things up, i am willing to do stuff to the next car i purchase, i will have to its just not possible to not upgrade my car. Im talking about bigger turbo's, Swapping intercoolers, that sorta stuff that will void warranty pretty easily, while very appealing to me, just makes me want to wait till my warranty is done with, so i can mod awway, but Turbo back exhaust, coil overs, intake, BOV that sorta stuff will be done, if i get the m3, intake, exahaust coil overs are a must! Im looking for a daily driver, that i can romp on when romping is needed, a car that can be nice and comfortable when needed, and have superior speed and handling when messed with. So thats why im stuck with the STI and M3, the STi can whip around corners like there is no tommorow, the M3 can also but not on the same scale as the STi, im not sure how much of a diffrence there is in handling. 1/4 is a drivers race from what i hear, freeway race gose to the M3, but how about a STi with Intake, Full exhaust, coil overs, little bolt ons. Would it be able to hang with or beat a stock or lightly modded m3? on the freeway i mean. Thanks for you'r guy's help, you guys have been more then helpfull and resourcefull, keep up the good work!

You make and STi just as fast as an M3 on the highway with a TBE (turbo back exhaust) and some engine management like Utec.
    Have you test driven either of these cars? That should be one of the first things you do when making this decision because often, that can make the decision for you right there. Like I said, if I had the money, M3 ALL THE WAY, just because its such a drivers car and responds to your every beck and all. Not to mention it has basically set the bench mark for a performance coupe as far as handling and acceleration go.
    The STi is a great and unbelievable car for the money... but.... The M3 just has so much more to offer if not just looking for a fast "boy racer" car to mod the hell out of.
    Just call me Clark Kent

thanks for yoru post, i have actually driving a 04 Convertable M3, stick, it was one hell of a drive and i loved every secound of it. I have not yet gotten a chance to drive a STI. The dealer said only the purchaser of the car can drive the STI because it is just a special edition car that is not mass produced, witch makes sense, they dont want to put miles on a car like that. But illl be heading back to the dealer to get the credit report done, and mabye they will let me take it for a spin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.