Wagon smacks down a 350Z.

This is a discussion on Wagon smacks down a 350Z. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was out tonight wasting gas as usual and I see a familiar Red 350Z getting on it some. Had ...

Wagon smacks down a 350Z.

I was out tonight wasting gas as usual and I see a familiar Red 350Z getting on it some. Had a nismo exhaust on it (at least the muffler said that on it) and as far as I know that's it. It was an auto, but I'll admit it sounded very very nice. I pull out in front of him, let him catch up to me and rev the ole wagon up a little to show I'm interested. He follows me out and we don't really have much room but he punches it and pulls out to pass me. He gets a little run on me, I go into 2nd at about 40mph, and he pulls about 1 car or so on me and then stops pulling when I start getting into the boost. We let off around 60 and I think I was just starting to catch up to him. We mess around like that off and on a few times and finally turn around and head back.

Empty road ahead, I pull out beside him with both of us going about 15mph and give it a little gas, as does he. I punch it, then hold it at about 1/2 throttle to make sure he's going to go and once he does I floor it again from about 20mph or so. I don't know if I jumped ahead because of traction problem for him or if he wasn't in 1st gear or what but I got about 2 car lenghts by the end of 1st gear. I wind out 2nd, 3rd, and take 4th up to about 100 at which point he's maybe 8 car lenghts back. I take it up to 115 and he fades back even more, not sure if he had gotten off the gas or what.

The WRX has a borla header, sti up-pipe and a stromung 3" turbo back exhaust with 2 high flow cats in it. I also have a cobb tuning accessport and a K&N filter. We both had the passenger mod as well.

Jason
    1998 Turbo Neon..My own Stage 42
    2004 WRX Wagon....getting rid of it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Realisticly, I seriously doubt he was racing you. Or, his car just plain old sucks. I know a healthy 350Z would have kept up with you, if not beaten you. There is no way you would put 8 cars on a 350Z to 100 from a roll. You can't even put 8 cars on an RSX Type S from a roll, and those are way slower than a 350Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D
    Realisticly, I seriously doubt he was racing you. Or, his car just plain old sucks. I know a healthy 350Z would have kept up with you, if not beaten you. There is no way you would put 8 cars on a 350Z to 100 from a roll. You can't even put 8 cars on an RSX Type S from a roll, and those are way slower than a 350Z.

He is cobb stage II with some extras against an auto 350Z from a 15mph roll he shouldn't have the least bit of trouble beating him, now 8 cars sounds off, but if the 350Z would have pulled on him i would have been shocked from that slow of a roll. Take it up to 80mph and go from there and its a different story.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    He is cobb stage II with some extras against an auto 350Z from a 15mph roll he shouldn't have the least bit of trouble beating him, now 8 cars sounds off, but if the 350Z would have pulled on him i would have been shocked from that slow of a roll. Take it up to 80mph and go from there and its a different story.
    The WRX is strong in 2nd and 3rd after that

nice runs

I'm gonna share a thought... Sometimes it just seems to me when I read these "I just beat this car, and it was cool" threads, everyone always replies with, "There is no way that you could beat an '87 Tercel from a roll, on the highway with a tailwind, and a half empty tank of gas, with just a TBE, VF-34 and a custom tune! You would need like, an STI block with custom ported heads, three deadbolt 18g turbos, race gas, and a little asian kid hanging onto your big a$$ STI wing rocking back and forth to get the extra speed. YOU MUST BE LYING... or the other guy can't drive."

I just think it's funny...

P.S. You probably beat the other guy because you have a wagon.

Wagons =

I know he was racing, and like I mentioned it was an auto and most likely only had the muffler as the only modification. Also it's hard to judge how many cars you're ahead by looking in the rearview, but he was a good ways back there, over 5 without any doubt what-so-ever (quick glance looked like it was more than 5 and less than 10, best I can do). And I also don't know at what point he let off, but at no point at any mph was he catching me.

Jason
    1998 Turbo Neon..My own Stage 42
    2004 WRX Wagon....getting rid of it

stage 2 > auto Z
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

lol I guess i missed the part about the 350 being auto . Did you edit your post?!
    Haha...jk. Nice run.

Nice! You probably were beating him by a few cars and then maybe he let off. Anyways, I love seeing a 350Z get smacked down, especially by a wagon.
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    I'm gonna share a thought... Sometimes it just seems to me when I read these "I just beat this car, and it was cool" threads, everyone always replies with, "There is no way that you could beat an '87 Tercel from a roll, on the highway with a tailwind, and a half empty tank of gas, with just a TBE, VF-34 and a custom tune! You would need like, an STI block with custom ported heads, three deadbolt 18g turbos, race gas, and a little asian kid hanging onto your big a$$ STI wing rocking back and forth to get the extra speed. YOU MUST BE LYING... or the other guy can't drive."

I just think it's funny...

I agree completely. In this case, the WRX shouldn't have any problems. Even if it weren't auto, a stage II wagon should be able to take a 350Z with an exhaust by a half-second or so in the quarter. They run like 14.3-14.6 stock, I believe, and maybe a 14.1-14.2 with an exhaust, so if it was an auto add about another .2 or .3. A stage II WRX should run mid- to high 13s.

Nice run!
    WRX 2004 Cobb Stage II (91) w/Helix DP ... 13.8@96.

I need an uppipe and an exhaust!

stage 2 rex beating a 350z off a roll or a highway roll is very believable (i've done it myself). I think you probably started pulling on him and he gave up so thats why he was so far behind. If he was auto you definitely had an advantage. I remember my brother raced a convertible 350z auto (remember convertible) and he had like 1/2 car on him until they hit 4th and z started creeping up, but we werent on freeway so we slowed down.(brother was stock at the time)
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    stage 2 > auto Z
    yup.

An auto 350Z is not match for a stageII + uppipe WRX. Even from a roll, the only way the Z would have a chance is if they started above 80mph or something. At 15mph the wrx gets to utilize its 2nd and 3rd gear well, which are its strong gears. As for beating it by 8 cars: I doubt it. Probably what happened was that you got a jump ahead by a couple cars and tried keeping up for a little bit but just gave up and you put a lot of distance on him.
    I have walked a couple auto Z's at stageII myself.. nice runs
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.