1.8t vs. wrx -cheater- - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 1.8t vs. wrx -cheater- within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I ran a 1.8t with a 5sp (my buddies) for amny miles, and I could blow past him without downshifting ...

I ran a 1.8t with a 5sp (my buddies) for amny miles, and I could blow past him without downshifting and such, it's just no comparison. I have a few basic bolt-ons but no real power mods, jsut bells n whistles. But still, no challenge whatsoever. I ran him from many stops and many rolls form 20 mph on to 50 mph and everytime i would put about 4 car lengths between us in a matter of seconds. Get a bigger turbo and some other goodies and that car can be fast, but it's not a performance vehicle. Isn't the turbo way small on those? wrx's run a td04 right, and I think thats a pretty normal upgrade for a 1.8t.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Isn't it kind of ironic that this guy mentions that the few WRX owners that he knows are ****s (or maybe not ****s, but not open and fair people), and now all the WRX owners on here are being ****s? Way to prove the stereotype wrong guys.

And yeah, whoopdeedoo, AWD guys don't want to run from a roll, FWD guys don't want to run from a dig. Either way takes away the others advantage, blah blah blah. Just go to the track with the mods you have and the traction you can get (slicks, drag radials, wheelie bars) and do what you can. It's about enjoying your car guys, not trash talking, from either side of the fence.

And on a side note, if anyone here has ever been "embarrassed" by being beaten while any kind of racing, get a life. Your car is not you, it's just money. Should the dude that drives a POS '87 Citation be embarressed that he's spent his money on traveling over the world, or on gear to climb mountains and base jump off of them? Experiences that will be with him forever, but he'll get smoked by a Jetta or WRX...or Kia, for that matter?
    -ORW

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I'll get under there this weekend and see if I can loosen things up and maybe shoot some lube juice up in there.

Oh sht, please don't sig that.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex
    I ran a 1.8t with a 5sp (my buddies) for amny miles, and I could blow past him without downshifting and such, it's just no comparison. I have a few basic bolt-ons but no real power mods, jsut bells n whistles. But still, no challenge whatsoever. I ran him from many stops and many rolls form 20 mph on to 50 mph and everytime i would put about 4 car lengths between us in a matter of seconds. Get a bigger turbo and some other goodies and that car can be fast, but it's not a performance vehicle. Isn't the turbo way small on those? wrx's run a td04 right, and I think thats a pretty normal upgrade for a 1.8t.
    chips are the biggest small mods for our cars. If he didn't have one, it explains why. An unchipped 1.8t runs about 12psi I think and puts out about 160fwhp/160 ft/lbs tq. A 1.8t with a chip and basic blot ons can put out 200fwhp and 250ft/lbs tq at 21 psi

Torque means a lot. but a lot of people over look that and see 200fwhp and think "wow, that's still not that much". It's not, but having 250 ft/lbs is starting to get up there...

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Speak of the devil. Was behind a 1.8T yesterday who wouldn't get over for me to pass. Just hogged the left land and slooooowly when by traffic on the right, with plenty of room between cars to get over. I waited it out like a good boy, and right at the end of the line of cars this nimrod puts it to the floor. I just calmly applied power and stayed right with his rear. Another set of about 3 cars came up on the right and of course he slows down again so I can't even think about going around. Having had enough of this, after we went by the last car, and sure enough he puts the hammer down again, I downshifted to 4th, put it to the floor, and basically left him standing still. Instant 5 or 6 cars and he obviously gave up at that point. I thought they were faster than than that.

Took the next exit for gas, and he pulls up and turns out he was a nice enough guy...other than squatting in the left lane (which I didn't point out). He had headers, and a TBE with a loud big exhaust, and a Chip (I think APR). Couldn't believe a family sedan blew his doors off. I didn't inform him I was stage 2.
    er...headers? Sure it was a 1.8t? That or the vw owners was confused as to what he did to his own car...

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadWagon
    Isn't it kind of ironic that this guy mentions that the few WRX owners that he knows are ****s (or maybe not ****s, but not open and fair people), and now all the WRX owners on here are being ****s? Way to prove the stereotype wrong guys.

And yeah, whoopdeedoo, AWD guys don't want to run from a roll, FWD guys don't want to run from a dig. Either way takes away the others advantage, blah blah blah. Just go to the track with the mods you have and the traction you can get (slicks, drag radials, wheelie bars) and do what you can. It's about enjoying your car guys, not trash talking, from either side of the fence.

And on a side note, if anyone here has ever been "embarrassed" by being beaten while any kind of racing, get a life. Your car is not you, it's just money. Should the dude that drives a POS '87 Citation be embarressed that he's spent his money on traveling over the world, or on gear to climb mountains and base jump off of them? Experiences that will be with him forever, but he'll get smoked by a Jetta or WRX...or Kia, for that matter?
    The one guy I know is an, I'll race you tomorrow guy. He now has a full exhaust, FMIC, engine management piggy back and a few other things and he keeps saying "wait until I get this done and then I'll run you". He could probably pull pretty good on me from a roll and if he knows how to launch, he would probably smoke me.

The other guy told me he was putting down 290awhp with a full exhaust and some other bolt-ons, even after I dusted him on the highway.

One of the guys with an sti blew me off because I own a stock looking jetta I guess. I was just trying to talk to him about his car. But I own a bike, I've had it at track days. He owns an sti his mommy and daddy probably bought for him and races it on the street and it will never see a track. Don't judge people...

And then I know two others. One's a family guy and owns an 04 auto wrx. He's cool. I know another STI owner threw a mutual friend and he's friendly enough.

But that's why I said, most the wrx owners I know are ****s. I wasn't talking about you guys

I don't like to go around hating people unless I have a reason to

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    chips are the biggest small mods for our cars. If he didn't have one, it explains why. An unchipped 1.8t runs about 12psi I think and puts out about 160fwhp/160 ft/lbs tq. A 1.8t with a chip and basic blot ons can put out 200fwhp and 250ft/lbs tq at 21 psi

Torque means a lot. but a lot of people over look that and see 200fwhp and think "wow, that's still not that much". It's not, but having 250 ft/lbs is starting to get up there...

Oh, I know, i almost got a vr6 because I love me some torque, then i drove a wrx , I havent driven a 1.8t but have ridden in a couple, and i'm not impressed. I'm not saying they are bad cars, but if you want it to be fast it'll cost some money. Even the vr6 was unimpressive after driving the wrx, and those things are torque powerhouses.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex
    Oh, I know, i almost got a vr6 because I love me some torque, then i drove a wrx , I havent driven a 1.8t but have ridden in a couple, and i'm not impressed. I'm not saying they are bad cars, but if you want it to be fast it'll cost some money. Even the vr6 was unimpressive after driving the wrx, and those things are torque powerhouses.
    srock #'s vr6 crank 200/200
    It's actually putting down about the same if not maybe a little more than the wrx stock.

To get 190fwhp/250 ft/lbs tq out of a 1.8t only cost $350.

To get 300-350fwhp/275-350ft/lbs of tq in a 1.8t cost about $3,500

It's actually cheap. I'm not sure how much money you have to put into a wrx to get 350awhp but It's probably about the same.

vw's a cheap cars to modify and have a great quality (when you don't get one that's falling apart. Basically one of the good ones).

I Support ClubWRX

To get 190fwhp/250 ft/lbs tq out of a 1.8t only cost $350.

To get 300-350fwhp/275-350ft/lbs of tq in a 1.8t cost about $3,500
    What products are available to achieve those numbers for those prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    What products are available to achieve those numbers for those prices?
    $350-$750 chip will turn up the boost and adjust the a/f, timing, etc, to net anywhere from 180-200whp and up to 250 ft/lbs of tq. The more expensive not always being the best. I psid $350 for mine and should be putting down about 190-200 and 240-250 tq. We'll see on saturday.

For $3500 you can get eip to install basically:

3" tb exhaust
    CAI
    FMIC
    t3 s60 or t3/t04 hybrid
    turbo mani
    n75j wastegate controller
    and a few other essentials.

that would net you about 300-350 depending on several other options you would choose to go with or not and that's with the t3/t04. The super 60 is suppose to be more efficient but not net as high a horsepower gain.

basically it's a normal big turbo setup. There's other companies out there that can give you similar numbers for a close price. And if you went completely custom and did all the work yourself, you could get more power for the same amount of money.

I Support ClubWRX
    $350-$750 chip will turn up the boost and adjust the a/f, timing, etc, to net anywhere from 180-200whp and up to 250 ft/lbs of tq. The more expensive not always being the best. I psid $350 for mine and should be putting down about 190-200 and 240-250 tq. We'll see on saturday.

For $3500 you can get eip to install basically:

3" tb exhaust
    CAI
    FMIC
    t3 s60 or t3/t04 hybrid
    turbo mani
    n75j wastegate controller
    and a few other essentials.

that would net you about 300-350 depending on several other options you would choose to go with or not and that's with the t3/t04. The super 60 is suppose to be more efficient but not net as high a horsepower gain.

basically it's a normal big turbo setup. There's other companies out there that can give you similar numbers for a close price. And if you went completely custom and did all the work yourself, you could get more power for the same amount of money.
    Do you have any links to anyone pushing 350whp with those mods? How is the reliability after that?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Do you have any links to anyone pushing 350whp with those mods? How is the reliability after that?
    gt28rs the apr stage 3+ turbo http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2105291 - 300whp

t3/t4e http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1401697 350+whp

t3 super 60 eip stage 3 http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/18t20vturbosystem.html

There's some people pushing 500+crank. The reliability isn't too bad until you start doing major modding and trying to push some insane boost with those turbos. Once you go past 350whp without chaning a few of the weak internals, they start to go. 2 of the main things that need to be swapped out are the wrist pins and the rods. But mostly the 300-350whp (which most people aim for since it's easily attainable) is about as far as they go, since going too much further starts costing a lot more.

And we don't have awd drive train loss, but then again we also don't have traction until we get going and we don't have as many blown transmissions.

his right, when they talk about vw unreliability its usually the tranny and electronoics itself. Its not the engine, not the 1.8t engine atleast. Recently a guy dynoed at 500 something whp with a 1.8t with stock engine. Of ourse the exhaust was coming out of the hood, it was pretty cool.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    his right, when they talk about vw unreliability its usually the tranny and electronoics itself. Its not the engine, not the 1.8t engine atleast. Recently a guy dynoed at 500 something whp with a 1.8t with stock engine. Of ourse the exhaust was coming out of the hood, it was pretty cool.
    And it seems like it's Monday morning, Wednesday afternoon, and Friday evening cars that seem to get the bad work done to them as opposed to the Friday evening cars of some maunfactures. My Jetta's ran fine and had no problems as of yet where as I've heard of other MKIV's with problems and one that even had the auto dimming rearview mirror explode and destroy his interior. I guess it's just hit or miss with these....I'm hoping the mkV's will be better. The new mkV 2.0t is getting 250whp with just a chip and exhaust, now if the quality is as good as the tunability....

I Support ClubWRX
    gt28rs the apr stage 3+ turbo http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2105291 - 300whp

t3/t4e http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1401697 350+whp

t3 super 60 eip stage 3 http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/18t20vturbosystem.html

There's some people pushing 500+crank. The reliability isn't too bad until you start doing major modding and trying to push some insane boost with those turbos. Once you go past 350whp without chaning a few of the weak internals, they start to go. 2 of the main things that need to be swapped out are the wrist pins and the rods. But mostly the 300-350whp (which most people aim for since it's easily attainable) is about as far as they go, since going too much further starts costing a lot more.

And we don't have awd drive train loss, but then again we also don't have traction until we get going and we don't have as many blown transmissions.
    Cool Thanks for taking the time to gather that info

Well here's my run with my friends 1.8T golf. My mods are cobbstage stage 1 93 oct. ecu reflash and lightened crank pulley with three quarters of a tank of gas in the car. His mods are, x-plus chip(I here it's the most aggressive chip) diverter valve, spare tire removed, his gas light came on while we were racing, half & half blend of 110\94 octane.

From mid second gear to the end of third I would pull about two cars on him constantly, did it three times. Next he switched over to the race gas map and we went for another three rolls. I would still take him but his nose was at my rear bumper. And now a little run from idle, oh yes the five mile an hour to the end of third gear. I lost, my nose was at his front wheel with me coming up to take him down. But, we agreed to stop at the end of third and thats where it ended.

2000 rs with 2002 rex swap 6, 1.8T, 1 No runs from a dig!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast