1.8t vs. wrx -cheater- - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 83

This is a discussion on 1.8t vs. wrx -cheater- within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by YZFWV I went to try and run a wrx a couple of times the other night and ...

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    I went to try and run a wrx a couple of times the other night and he would always puch it right before I could get along side of him. The final time we hit a U turn that when from one lane into 2 and I was behind him. I go to pull up next to him thinking that he wanted to play, so why not run side by side. By the time I was about a car length behind him, he slams on the gas and I follow.

    I managed to pull up to the rear of his drivers side door by the time I hit 120. We slowed down then because lights on the side of the road, which turned out to be a pickup. He was modified with atleast some parts of an exhaust and a BOV and I have 2 friends in the car.

    not bad for him having a whole car length head start.

    The wrx guys I know all suck...they won't ever run from a roll or anything like that. Of course they're going to jump on me from a stop if they know how to launch, and they might even pull ahead depending on what mods they have....but NONE of them ever want to go from a roll...
    I'd gladly run you from a roll and I don't even have that many mods. Don't you think you'd be better off looking for sympathy on a non-wrx forum???

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    Registered User Quack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    1,578
    what's up with VW owners? a friend of a friend wanted to run my wagon against his '03 jetta 1.8t this past tuesday for $500. i forget what his mods are, but my friends '98 2.5RS (w/ WRX turbo) barely loses to the VW, but my friends WRX (same guy has the '98 RS and an '04 WRX w/vf34) just kills them. i would've ran him, even without a good tune yet, but then he backed down and said he'd run after he got some more mods on. i guess he was thinking "it's a wagon, it's gotta be slow", that was until i popped the hood

    btw, i used to have a '95 Jetta GLX and it was a quick bugger for the time period ('95-'96). almost boosted it, but got engaged.
    Last edited by Quack; 07-31-2005 at 08:57 AM.

  4. #48
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Summary:
    I wanted to race.
    WRX wouldnt' let me.
    Thus...all owners of that car are loosers.

    What....why is everyone in a WRX forum that I posted this lame post hatin' on me now???

    Get a clue.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  5. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Screw racing from a dig. Screw racing from a roll. Racing in reverse is where it's at!
    i get pissed when all these BS talkers won't even race me in reverse. it's like, you have two choices against me:

    1) either race me in gear whine glory, or

    2) stfu
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

  6. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Summary:
    I wanted to race.
    WRX wouldnt' let me.
    Thus...all owners of that car are loosers.

    What....why is everyone in a WRX forum that I posted this lame post hatin' on me now???

    Get a clue.

    more like:

    I wanted to race
    Wrx owner wouldn't let me get side by side and proceeded to take off anyways.
    I pulled from one car length behind to the middle of his car and had to stop at that point
    Pulled that much even with 2 other people in the car.

    Why are all the wrx owners hatin' on me for "pulling" on a wrx.

    if he didn't want to race, he would have been better of going the speed limit then accelerating to 120+

  7. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    more like:

    I wanted to race
    Wrx owner wouldn't let me get side by side and proceeded to take off anyways.
    I pulled from one car length behind to the middle of his car and had to stop at that point
    Pulled that much even with 2 other people in the car.

    Why are all the wrx owners hatin' on me for "pulling" on a wrx.

    if he didn't want to race, he would have been better of going the speed limit then accelerating to 120+
    most of the people on this forum are pretty nice, i think you just got started on the wrong foot: you called him a cheater in your thread title, then kinda turned the wick up a little bit when we got off topic with dig vs. roll.

    plus, you have to realize that a lot of 1.8T owners bash the WRX *a lot*. i mean they really rip it apart verbally. and we're a little sensitive about our cars
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

  8. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    most of the people on this forum are pretty nice, i think you just got started on the wrong foot: you called him a cheater in your thread title, then kinda turned the wick up a little bit when we got off topic with dig vs. roll.

    plus, you have to realize that a lot of 1.8T owners bash the WRX *a lot*. i mean they really rip it apart verbally. and we're a little sensitive about our cars
    Was just joking on the "WRX vs rx-8 cheater" thread where the wrx guy wanted to run the rx-8 but the rx-8 kept punching it before the wrx guy could line up with him....or something like that.

    And I was just stating a fact that all of the wrx guys I met, (up until yesterday) which is only about 3-4 people, will not race from a roll no matter what. I'll race them from a stop. I really don't care. They'll probably jump ahead of me if they know how to launch their cars. And unless they have some mods, I'll probably pull on them up until the point where either I some how got lucky and launch good enough to pull infront of them at a higher speed, or we both have to slow down because we're going so fast.

    I mean, personally if I owned a wrx, I wouldn't want to launch from a dead stop every time some one wanted to race because I'd probably be buying a new clutch every 20k miles or a new transmission on that one time I accidentally screwed up and shattered the tranny....

    but that's just me.

  9. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    37
    I had a 2001 1.8T Audi Quattro with 170 at the crank, and there is no comparison. The Audi had a beautiful interior, launched well, and was a great car. However, 170 hp vs. 227 hp is a noticeable difference with the butt dyno. I think '01 was the weird year where the Jettas and Passats had the 1.8t with 180hp, while the Audi only had 170. Either way, 10 hp wouldn't have made up the difference I'm feeling in my Stage 1 WRX (or when it was completely stock). I'll run this guy anytime.

  10. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    37

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    Was just joking on the "WRX vs rx-8 cheater" thread where the wrx guy wanted to run the rx-8 but the rx-8 kept punching it before the wrx guy could line up with him....or something like that.

    And I was just stating a fact that all of the wrx guys I met, (up until yesterday) which is only about 3-4 people, will not race from a roll no matter what. I'll race them from a stop. I really don't care. They'll probably jump ahead of me if they know how to launch their cars. And unless they have some mods, I'll probably pull on them up until the point where either I some how got lucky and launch good enough to pull infront of them at a higher speed, or we both have to slow down because we're going so fast.

    I mean, personally if I owned a wrx, I wouldn't want to launch from a dead stop every time some one wanted to race because I'd probably be buying a new clutch every 20k miles or a new transmission on that one time I accidentally screwed up and shattered the tranny....

    but that's just me.

    Don't go hating on the RX8 (thread hijack!). That's what I traded for my '04 WRX. They are great cars to rev, like an s2k. But from a dig, you have to do a 7K clutch bomb and then you get such tremendous wheel spin they seem to never hook up. I loved the looks of the car and the performance was good also (not far off a stock rex), but I think my car outhandles the 8 and outruns it.

    A lot of folks say "why did you trade in the 8 on that rex...the 8 was beautiful". My answer: the 8 is like a beautiful girl ...the rex is like a fat girl at last call...both will do the same thing, but you'll look better and brag more about one than the other. My $.02.

  11. #55
    Registered User Quack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    1,578
    hahahah
    [hate on RX8]
    i was on the hwy and saw this Evo hauling up from behind, then i see an RX8. i took off after the Evo. i then saw that it was a MR. traffic clears and the Evo takes off, i take off and the RX8 keeps getting smaller in my mirrors. we catch traffic (in the left lane), the RX8 is about to do a fly-by on the right. traffic moves to the center lane and the Evo and i deny the fly-by :lol: when the Evo finally gets off at his exit, i get a big thumbs up. the RX8 is hauling up from behind and i lose him again. [/hate on RX8]

  12. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Beauty
    I had a 2001 1.8T Audi Quattro with 170 at the crank, and there is no comparison. The Audi had a beautiful interior, launched well, and was a great car. However, 170 hp vs. 227 hp is a noticeable difference with the butt dyno. I think '01 was the weird year where the Jettas and Passats had the 1.8t with 180hp, while the Audi only had 170. Either way, 10 hp wouldn't have made up the difference I'm feeling in my Stage 1 WRX (or when it was completely stock). I'll run this guy anytime.
    170 crank hp audi quattro = awd power loss
    180 crank hp jetta = fwd power loss

    I have the 180 crank hp jetta with a chip/CAI/exhaust/and short throw shifter (that adds nothing power wise)

    I'm putting down about 190-200whp and 240-250ft/lbs tq. That's a lot more than the 160 or so fwhp stock...

    A stock wrx puts down about 175?(I'm guessing here) one with a full exhaust (up pipe/down pipe, TB) and a bov is putting down about 200awhp? and what about tq? About 200ft/lbs tq I'm assuming since the hp/tq numbers are about the same stock.

    What do you guys dyno at with a full exhaust and all the cats gone?

  13. #57
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,793
    230-240whp about the same torque with downpipe/uppipe/catback and reflash/tune. Trust me. I've raced lots of vw's however the hell they wanted with my 03 rex with catback mbc uppipe/downpipe. I've raced a 1.8t gli with downpipe exhaust fmic revo reflash intake and he didnt hang. I actually embarassed him really really bad when he had intake and just reflash. My brother with a 05 wrx with just a downpipe+ custom piping to stock catback raced friends 1.8t gli with downpipe exhaust intake reflash diverter valve and he would beat him in higher rolls and cathc up eventually on lower rolls or at worst he'd lose by a 1/2 car to 1 car only when they did retarded rolls like 2nd gear 30mph. (which for wrx lag is horrible without it being catless). My wrx pulled much harder than my brothers wrx. I've also raced a gti with downpipe intake diverter valve and reflash(i forgot which type but it wasnt revo) and i beat him pretty bad with just mbc and downpipe (03 wrx ..boosint about 16 psi). The wrx u raced had catback at most and nothing else, maybe intake or a ricer bov but those just hurt the rex.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

  14. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    68
    With just a catless UP and a mbc I was able to beat a 1.8t jetta easily from a second gear roll. They're sorta neat cars I guess, but not anything compared to even a stock wrx.

  15. #59
    Registered User skyjock41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    PCAN FL
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    Damn, I pulled on a wrx, that had atleast an exhaust and a BOV
    With the BOV you were up against a Monster.

    HKS BOV adds 40 to the wheel.

  16. #60
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Speak of the devil. Was behind a 1.8T yesterday who wouldn't get over for me to pass. Just hogged the left land and slooooowly when by traffic on the right, with plenty of room between cars to get over. I waited it out like a good boy, and right at the end of the line of cars this nimrod puts it to the floor. I just calmly applied power and stayed right with his rear. Another set of about 3 cars came up on the right and of course he slows down again so I can't even think about going around. Having had enough of this, after we went by the last car, and sure enough he puts the hammer down again, I downshifted to 4th, put it to the floor, and basically left him standing still. Instant 5 or 6 cars and he obviously gave up at that point. I thought they were faster than than that.

    Took the next exit for gas, and he pulls up and turns out he was a nice enough guy...other than squatting in the left lane (which I didn't point out). He had headers, and a TBE with a loud big exhaust, and a Chip (I think APR). Couldn't believe a family sedan blew his doors off. I didn't inform him I was stage 2.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •