1.8t vs. wrx -cheater- - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 1.8t vs. wrx -cheater- within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT I was talking about a stock Jetta 1.8T, he never said he had mods. He came ...

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    I was talking about a stock Jetta 1.8T, he never said he had mods. He came here talking about how he wanted to race some kid, and how no one wants to race from a roll.

I was talking about stock the whole time. I wouldnt want to waste gas on a stock Jetta which you just said does a 1/4 in the 15's.

I wasnt putting down Jetta's. I used to want a Jetta Wolfsburg (150hp model), and one of my best friends has a flashed 2004 Jetta GLI 6spd.

I also said that real racing is from a stop. Which is sorta true. not many races start from a roll besides like Nascar, maybe some IRL/Cart? I'll race from a roll for the fun of it. Im not one to not take a race. As long as its safe even if they could obviously kill me.

Maybe the kid was letting off, since it was 120mph? My old RSX could go 132mph, but that doesnt mean i could hunt down a WRX.

I really didnt mean to start an argument.
    3 in a row...I win....

He was still on it...We both hit out brakes at about the same time, looked like a cop sitting on the road a ways up. But don't worry, this was on a 4 lane (2 on one side, 2 on the other) highway with no one in sight....I'm not much for running in town light to light, because all the cops sit there. That's why it's so hard to run from a stop anyways....And I will run from a stop, but like I said, if a person driving and AWD car can launch, then the outcome is most like inevitable, unless I have enough hp/tq and a good enough launch of my own (which I don't, only had the car for 6 months and I'm still having trouble finding the seet spot on a small motor with a turbo) that I can squeak by with a win. Even with that, none of them want to race from a roll. I mean, given a straight stretch of road, I'll win unless they're too heavily modded. The chip eliminates the govenor and friends of mine have had their vw's up to about 150 (indicated). So unless the wrx doesn't have a govenor or a person chips it/flashes the ecu/whatever to get rid of it...I'll probably pull ahead...

Well if I were to actually go upwards of 150mph in a car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this is good ****.

I've never understood why people that that AWD car owners who don't want to race from a roll are *****'s, but FWD car owners that don't want to race from a dig are ok. FWD owners know that AWD is superior so they want to race from a roll to take away that advantage.

Not putting anyone down, just my opinion having owned RWD,FWD and AWD.. racing from a roll is lame no matter what kind of car you drive, it takes most of the skill out of the equation seeing as the launch is the hardest part of a drag race.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH

this is good ****.
    i feel like ive lost knowledge reading this and being a former VW and Subaru owner
    1994 Talon TSi - SMIC, 16G and Bolt Ons - Awaiting More Fuel and Tune
    2000 B5 GLS 1.8T Every Bolt On + Tuned GT28RS - R.I.P

I Support ClubWRX
    Screw racing from a dig. Screw racing from a roll. Racing in reverse is where it's at!

I had a race like that with a pontiac GTP. I kept trying to get alongside him and he kept speeding up so i finally just stepped on it and blew past him with his 3 car lead. I know he hit at least 120. I slowed back down to the speedlimit right away (65mph) and he wouldnt come up alongside me again. This was on an interstate in the middle of nowhere with us being the only two cars on our side at 1am for those that like to flame. I generally let people get alongside me and wait for them to rev or step on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amplified2000
    I've never understood why people that that AWD car owners who don't want to race from a roll are *****'s, but FWD car owners that don't want to race from a dig are ok. FWD owners know that AWD is superior so they want to race from a roll to take away that advantage.

Not putting anyone down, just my opinion having owned RWD,FWD and AWD.. racing from a roll is lame no matter what kind of car you drive, it takes most of the skill out of the equation seeing as the launch is the hardest part of a drag race.
    I'll race from a stop.

but if you want to get technical about it, racing in a straight line isn't really a
    "race". Throw in some curves and then see who runs off the road.

But racing from a roll will kind of show one thing. Which car is putting down the most power at the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    I'll race from a stop.

but if you want to get technical about it, racing in a straight line isn't really a
    "race". Throw in some curves and then see who runs off the road.

But racing from a roll will kind of show one thing. Which car is putting down the most power at the wheels.

How is racing from a stop not really a race?

Racing from a dig will show which car can better put the power to the pavement.

I Support ClubWRX

Little do they know, the NHRA has been doing it wrong all these years

I hear they are making a new class for VW's. You drive past the tree at 20mph, and honk as you hit the throttle

racing from a stop will show who can launch better...

So once the wrx launches and then doesn't go spectaculary fast because of AWD loss, and gets beat because the fwd car with the same about of crank hp finally catches traction and passes it, shows that the wrx can put power down to the pavement better?

I thought it just showed that AWD cars could launch better than fwd and some rwd (depending on setup/driver).

but then again there are people in fwd cars getting some pretty low 60' times...

and in my post I said racing in a straight line isn't really a "race", not racing from a stop isn't really a race...."Anyone can go fast in a straight line"...that's the motto of pretty much every good sport bike rider anyways....

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Little do they know, the NHRA has been doing it wrong all these years

I hear they are making a new class for VW's. You drive past the tree at 20mph, and honk as you hit the throttle

actually they should extend the track to a mile and see how long it takes for the AWD cars to make it to the end

but there's all kinds of ways to fix traction if you really want to get into it.

There was a magazine article that have a civic hatch with a wheelie bar on it. A wheelie bar on a civic? Well it needed it so it could keep traction and hit 8's (I think....8's or 9's...but I'm sure it was 8's). Looked funny, a fwd car with a wheelie bar...but it was fast...
    Last edited by YZFWV; 07-28-2005 at 01:54 PM.

No, racing from a stop will better show the abilities of the car to put the power to the pavement in a manner which it can be used. IE grip and go not sit and spin. Who cares if someone with the same crank horsepower is going to catch up a 1600 feet down the road or keep up with me on the highway, I sure don't.

AWD has more drivetrain loss, there's no surprise there. I'll gladly trade that small loss over and over again for grip. Putting your power to the pavement in a useable manner > sitting and spinning.

as for "anyone can go in a straight line"

Newsflash, millions of people turn their car on a daily basis, so I think it's pretty safe to say that anyone can turn as well. Including my grandmother. .

racing from a stop will show who can launch better...

So once the wrx launches and then doesn't go spectaculary fast because of AWD loss, and gets beat because the fwd car with the same about of crank hp finally catches traction and passes it, shows that the wrx can put power down to the pavement better?

I thought it just showed that AWD cars could launch better than fwd and some rwd (depending on setup/driver).

but then again there are people in fwd cars getting some pretty low 60' times...

and in my post I said racing in a straight line isn't really a "race", not racing from a stop isn't really a race...."Anyone can go fast in a straight line"...that's the motto of pretty much every good sport bike rider anyways....

No, racing from a stop will better show the abilities of the car to put the power to the pavement in a manner which it can be used. IE grip and go not sit and spin. Who cares if someone with the same crank horsepower is going to catch up a 1600 feet down the road or keep up with me on the highway, I sure don't.

AWD has more drivetrain loss, there's no surprise there. I'll gladly trade that small loss over and over again for grip. Putting your power to the pavement in a useable manner > sitting and spinning.

as for "anyone can go in a straight line"

Newsflash, millions of people turn their car on a daily basis, so I think it's pretty safe to say that anyone can turn as well. Including my grandmother. .
    damn...stop misquoting me. "Anyone can go FAST(operative word here) in a straight line" I'm sure your grand mother can hit up a road course and pull some record breaking times cause she knows how to fly through the corners? If so let me know, we might have a news worthy story on out hands.

I'm sure WRX drivers out there can pull a 1.6 second 60' and do a quarter at 14.1 stock. But I'm sure that there are people in miatas out there that can outdrive a wrx owner on the track even though they have no power and can't do a 1/4 mile in 14.1 seconds.

Millions of people do turn on a daily bases. How many of those millions know how to choose a proper line and hold it at the highest speed possible while being smooth and not upsetting the overall balance of the vehicle?

when I think of real racing, I think of something like AMA bike races or the JGTC or cup races...something where you atleast turn, and not in one big circle like nascar...and what ever idiot can up with the slogan "rubbing is racing" should be shot...

So, if you want to keep misquoting me, go on ahead....

I Support ClubWRX
    damn...stop misquoting me. "Anyone can go FAST(operative word here) in a straight line" I'm sure your grand mother can hit up a road course and pull some record breaking times cause she knows how to fly through the corners? If so let me know, we might have a news worthy story on out hands.

I'm sure WRX drivers out there can pull a 1.6 second 60' and do a quarter at 14.1 stock. But I'm sure that there are people in miatas out there that can outdrive a wrx owner on the track even though they have no power and can't do a 1/4 mile in 14.1 seconds.

Millions of people do turn on a daily bases. How many of those millions know how to choose a proper line and hold it at the highest speed possible while being smooth and not upsetting the overall balance of the vehicle?

when I think of real racing, I think of something like AMA bike races or the JGTC or cup races...something where you atleast turn, and not in one big circle like nascar...and what ever idiot can up with the slogan "rubbing is racing" should be shot...

So, if you want to keep misquoting me, go on ahead....
    Didn't you start this thread bragging about racing from a roll?

I started it saying I "ran" a wrx from a roll and none of the wrx guys I know ever want to go from a roll.

I'll race them from a stop. I really don't care if I win or lose. I raced an srt-4 from 45mph and he smoked me once I shifted out of second. I'll race a wrx from a dead stop and it'll probably win if it's got some mods and the driver knows how to launch, but none of them want to race from a roll because they're afraid of the disadvantage. I'm just talking about the hand full of wrx owners I know, not ever wrx owner in the world.

But some one started getting into the topic of "I don't consider racing from a roll, real racing". Well if you want to get technical about it....I think about real racing as something that takes all of the cars and drivers skill and ability into account...ie: road racing.

Sure, going from a roll, stop, drag racing, whatever, it fun and shows off a certain aspect of an automobile, the only real factor is power, and the ability to launch and control the car in a straight line, where is roadracing takes that into account along with suspension setup, a persons ability to control the car overall (smoothness and technique) along with a person's nerve. Sure, it's easy to do 120mph, but truthfully, how many people would get edgy riding in a car with it going into a turn about about 80-90 mph, let alone have to skill to control the car?
    Last edited by YZFWV; 07-28-2005 at 03:46 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast