03 WRX vs. Nissan SpecV
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 WRX vs. Nissan SpecV within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My buddy wants to race me in his Nissan Spec V. First off I have a catback exhaust, K&N drop ...

03 WRX vs. Nissan SpecV

My buddy wants to race me in his Nissan Spec V. First off I have a catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter and Cobb AP stg. 1. He will have headers, racing pulley, balance shaft removal kit, nology hot wires and some iridiums. He also has some internal work done but not exactley sure what (I don't think anything serious). He is a manual and I am auto so I am just curious how I stand up to him and if I do finish off my exhaust and run stg. 2 how I will stand up to him. Just curious, thanks for your input
    03 WRX MBP
    DB 18g | Megan DP | Gutted UP | Borla CB | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Big MAF | Walbro FP | Denso Iridiums | Torque Converter | ValveBody | APS TMIC | 680cc FI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you should have no problem w/ him at either stage in a straight line...they do handle well in the twisties
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I used to own an 02 Specv and I'm 100% sure you will be able to take him with no problems. The Specv has alot of low end Torque so it can take off fairly quickly, but still no match for AWD. Even with all his mods, he probably putting about 175HP max to the wheels and that's being generous. They do handle very well for a FWD car like WRXcelration said.

I'm sure my SpecV buddies would kill me if they saw me writting this
    Last edited by MandoWRX; 07-27-2005 at 06:28 PM.

stage1 auto wrx vs bolt on SpecV.......... In the 1/4mile you should get him, by probably not by too much so do not become over confident. From a roll, it will be really close, and you should not be shocked if you get beat.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Your auto won't do you much good off the line. He'll prolly take you til you til you boost takes over. It'll be tough to reel him in off the line but I think you can as they don't have that great of a top end either.

From a roll you shoudl be good as long as you're not in the wrong powerband. Your stg 2 should trap high 90's and a Spec will not come near that unless he is spraying or has a FI kit. The ones with a FI kit will give even a stg 2 STi a run for their money

P.S. Get a uppipe and downpipe for your car. I didn't realize you have only a catback. He'll def take you off the line if you don't open her up
    Last edited by AsianWRX; 07-28-2005 at 08:02 AM.
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Quote Originally Posted by AsianWRX

From a roll you shoudl be good as long as you're not in the wrong powerband. Your stg 2 should trap high 90's and a Spec will not come near that unless he is spraying or has a FI kit. The ones with a FI kit will give even a stg 2 STi a run for their money
    1) He is not stage2, he is stage1

2) Automatic stage1 wrx's do not trap high 90's. More like mid 90's tops.

3) SpecV properly driven will hit 92mph traps. Header and exhaust specV should be doing right around 94mph or so which is exactly where his stage1 auto probably is. Not to mention that if they go from a roll, the wrx will lose steam before the sentra does. It will be close, but I would not be the least bit suprised if the sentra puts some distance on him up top.
    Just call me Clark Kent

By the time we hit the track I will be at stage 2 (uppipe/downpipe). I am still enjoying my stage 1 reflash but am starting to get used to it and can honestly say I am itching to go stage 2. From what I can tell from stage 1 there is definatley an improvement in power hitting at least 14.7 psi when I need to so I cant wait to really see what she can do when I lose the cats. I have watched him drive it before and it does seem to jump off the line quick (given he gets a good launch) but seems to really top out quick kinda like my girlfriends Scion TC.
    03 WRX MBP
    DB 18g | Megan DP | Gutted UP | Borla CB | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Big MAF | Walbro FP | Denso Iridiums | Torque Converter | ValveBody | APS TMIC | 680cc FI

I did find out he also has Cams, dont know what this does for him but thought I would add that also.
    03 WRX MBP

Quote Originally Posted by fino22
    By the time we hit the track I will be at stage 2 (uppipe/downpipe). I am still enjoying my stage 1 reflash but am starting to get used to it and can honestly say I am itching to go stage 2. From what I can tell from stage 1 there is definatley an improvement in power hitting at least 14.7 psi when I need to so I cant wait to really see what she can do when I lose the cats. I have watched him drive it before and it does seem to jump off the line quick (given he gets a good launch) but seems to really top out quick kinda like my girlfriends Scion TC.
    you will take him if you are stage 2. make sure you flash the map a week or 2 in advance before the race.

Actually, it sounds like an interesting match. I used to have a Spec V, so I am well aware of how well bolt ons work. Since he removed his balance shafts and has a LW pulley, his engine is free to rev. He also has a close ratio 6 speed which is probably better for acceleration than your auto.

I'm gonna say the Spec V will come out on top, but since it is so close, I think you guys will need to do a "best out of 5" or something of the sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by fino22
    I did find out he also has Cams, dont know what this does for him but thought I would add that also.
    hmmmmmmmm.........

So he has basically exhaust bolt on's + removed balance shafts + light weight pullies + cams.

I dont know man. In the 1/4 you stand a good chance of beating him still, my money would go on the specV from a roll. The wrx automatic is not really known for great downshifts when racing at high speeds, and considering the specV will be reving like hell with his balance shafts out and cams, not to mention the trans and "olsaltybastard" said... I think from a roll you will get walked if you go higher speeds like 50-110 or 60-110, etc...
    Just call me Clark Kent

I actually have a copy of Sport Compact Car, its the june 03 issue, where they get 35whp from "intake, header, ehxaust, camshafts and removed balance shafts", and that list is right off the dyno chart. They got 176whp and 172lb-ft. I would think that would be good for something like mid-high 14's and mid 90mph traps, probably a tiny little bit faster than a stock 05 RSX-S if he can launch well. As a Cobb Stage 1 I would say its in the bag if you were manual, but I'm not familiar with the auto at all (i've never personally met anyone that had one), but I could imagine that might make it very close. If your stage 2 when you run I would think even if the auto held you back some you would quickly pass him from a stop or a roll. With a 50whp advantage once your turbo spools you should be able to reel him in, A STG 2 + upipe can trap close to 100mph, I would guess the auto shouldnt take more than a few mph off this, correct me if I'm wrong. BTW Does the auto WRX break boost well? I know I've had friends with auto(I think they only made auto didnt they?) Grand-Nationals that would break boost at the line and get boost off the launch.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

A fully bolted Spec with cams/pully/bsr will walk a Cobb stage 1 WRX Auto if the driver has any skill whatsoever. Hell it would give a stage 1 manual a damn good run.

<--- Former Spec V owner

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    I actually have a copy of Sport Compact Car, its the june 03 issue, where they get 35whp from "intake, header, ehxaust, camshafts and removed balance shafts", and that list is right off the dyno chart. They got 176whp and 172lb-ft. I would think that would be good for something like mid-high 14's and mid 90mph traps, probably a tiny little bit faster than a stock 05 RSX-S if he can launch well. As a Cobb Stage 1 I would say its in the bag if you were manual, but I'm not familiar with the auto at all (i've never personally met anyone that had one), but I could imagine that might make it very close. If your stage 2 when you run I would think even if the auto held you back some you would quickly pass him from a stop or a roll. With a 50whp advantage once your turbo spools you should be able to reel him in, A STG 2 + upipe can trap close to 100mph, I would guess the auto shouldnt take more than a few mph off this, correct me if I'm wrong. BTW Does the auto WRX break boost well? I know I've had friends with auto(I think they only made auto didnt they?) Grand-Nationals that would break boost at the line and get boost off the launch.
    well thats the thing. The auto wrx does not trap very well. He would be lucky to hit a mid 90's trap even as stageII. A specV with those mods will easily run mid 14's with a good driver and a stageII auto should be running very low 14's. So again, from a dig, I think as stageII you will win, stageI you will lose. From a roll though I think you will lose even as stageII. Granted, trap speeds are a good indication of topend power, BUT with an auto its a little different. Auto's start is first gear when they clear that trapspeed, and the wrx automatic is not exactly "advanced". So being a 4AT I think that he might have a little trouble with the auto downshifting really well... Not to mention that the SpecV will be reving high and has a much better gear box and due to being a close ratio 6speed manual can pick his gear and rpm really well before they run from a roll.
    The wrx is making more power and the specV weighs about 350lbs less, but power to weight ratio the wrx is still on top. I think the specV's gearing and ability to chose its rpm is what is going to win it the race from a roll.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Well deffinatly post the results once you race him, it should be interesting. I would think that a Stage 2 WRX auto would still be able to at least pull 13's, even if High 13's in the mid-upper 90's, but being a 4speed I guess it could just suck. Either way, win or lose let us know, I'm very curious to see what the actual outcome is.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.