06 Z06 - More STI Competition - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 Z06 - More STI Competition within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by soon2BWRXd Uhhh....thats my point, there is an UNLIMITED supply of Z06s, since it is not a limited ...

Quote Originally Posted by soon2BWRXd
    Uhhh....thats my point, there is an UNLIMITED supply of Z06s, since it is not a limited production car, GM WILL build as many cars as people order, and then they will build extras.

Don't forget the EVO was limited, because Mitsu announced how many they were going to import, therefor giving stealerships the right to mark up prices. Hell even the GTO had crazy markups because GM set a # on how many they would import----except it backfired on the dealers because they jacked the price so high that average people wouldn't consider paying over 40K for a GTO.
    GM said the initial estimate on the 2006 Z06 production run was 5000 but they aren't limiting production to that. If you wanted to order one you could and wait for it but if you wanted one right off the lot its a free for all and since every dealer isn't going to have Z06's on the lot the ones that do can markup and screw over the few that feel they need their Z06 right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    Yes, to both claims, but I was asking whether the STi could win past the 1/4 or from a roll (with the STi's turbo spooled up) with 500 AWHP.
    Well most likely the STi will lose passed the 1/4 mile but not because of power, because of the damn speed limiter and short gear ratios. If it had some longer ratio's and no speed limiter im pretty sure it would have a pretty high top speed. I dunno about from a roll though. I would take the STi's side but only because of the turbo being spooled up and pullin to redline extremely fast vs a ginormous 7.0l NA v8. thats just what i think about the roll.
    Last edited by Okonkowo; 11-26-2005 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Okonkowo
    Well most likely the STi will lose passed the 1/4 mile but not because of power, because of the damn speed limiter and short gear ratios. If it had some longer ratio's and no speed limiter im pretty sure it would have a pretty high top speed. I dunno about from a roll though. I would take the STi's side but only because of the turbo being spooled up and pullin to redline extremely fast vs a ginormous 7.0l NA v8. thats just what i think about the roll.
    A 500 WHP STi has a w/p ratio that is barely better than a stock Z06. The areos of the Z06 would also come into play past the 1/4 since both of the cars would be traveling over 130 at that point.

Size of an has engine has almost nothing to how quick it revs. Power and the drivetrain do. Have you ever seen how fast a stock Z06 revs?
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    A 500 WHP STi has a w/p ratio that is barely better than a stock Z06. The areos of the Z06 would also come into play past the 1/4 since both of the cars would be traveling over 130 at that point.

Size of an has engine has almost nothing to how quick it revs. Power and the drivetrain do. Have you ever seen how fast a stock Z06 revs?
    Negative, thats why i dont know much bout the vette's. I'm not sayin that the size of the motor has anything to do with how fast it revs but the rev characteristics of a NA v8 would be different from a 2.5L turbo flat four. Lemme take a stab at the rev characterstics of a zo6 even though ive never seen one in action, I would guess it has a constant, rapid, hard pull all the way to redline as opposed to the STi which has turbo lag for the first 3-4k rpms then hauls to redline.

yea just forget bout that longer gear ratio thing, I was thinkin about those in terms of top speed cuz the longer you go the higher the top speed but the sacrificed acceleration. SO basically what good is the longer ratio if it can't accelerate to that top speed quick enough. Maybe a bumped up rev limit would do much better. I saw a vid on nasioc of some guy in his jdm STi pullin all the way to 8200 rpms and hittin 65 in 2nd.

As for aero's hands down the vette got the upper hand on that one.
    Last edited by Okonkowo; 11-26-2005 at 11:57 AM.

Negative, thats why i dont know much bout the vette's. I'm not sayin that the size of the motor has anything to do with how fast it revs but the rev characteristics of a NA v8 would be different from a 2.5L turbo flat four. Lemme take a stab at the rev characterstics of a zo6 even though ive never seen one in action, I would guess it has a constant, rapid, hard pull all the way to redline as opposed to the STi which has turbo lag for the first 3-4k rpms then hauls to redline.

yea just forget bout that longer gear ratio thing, I was thinkin about those in terms of top speed cuz the longer you go the higher the top speed but the sacrificed acceleration. SO basically what good is the longer ratio if it can't accelerate to that top speed quick enough. Maybe a bumped up rev limit would do much better. I saw a vid on nasioc of some guy in his jdm STi pullin all the way to 8200 rpms and hittin 65 in 2nd.
    Pretty true, but as the revs clime, it pulls harder since it is making more power up top then at 2500 RPM. Same goes for the STi, since it making so much more power at 4 than at 2500, it revs a lot of faster.
    04 Silver STi M6

Yea my uncles business partner is the vice president at broadcom and he has this one Lambo murcielago and Jag xj220, and after being in a NA v12 vs a Twin Turbo v6, uhm well you get the picture the mrucielago kinda didn't stand a chance the jag hit 80 in 1st. but the murci did have this hard constant quick pull to redline as i would imagein the zo6 too

manual gearbox WRX's (STi included) don't have speed limiters. The top speed is limited by wind resistance and gearing and thats it. Auto guy are the only one who have to worry about that and that is easily bypassed.

My RS kinda took a dump at 135mph it hit the 5600rpms and bounced down to 5400rpms.

If there isn't a speed limiter on an STi or WRX there still is the rev limiter so once you hit redline in 6th ur not goin any faster than that.

My RS kinda took a dump at 135mph it hit the 5600rpms and bounced down to 5400rpms.

If there isn't a speed limiter on an STi or WRX there still is the rev limiter so once you hit redline in 6th ur not goin any faster than that.

Do you have an auto or manual in the RS.

Quote Originally Posted by HoSlappa
    Do you have an auto or manual in the RS.
    haha honestly do you hafta ask? I am stricly and beligerently against automatics.

I Support ClubWRX
    manual gearbox WRX's (STi included) don't have speed limiters. The top speed is limited by wind resistance and gearing and thats it. Auto guy are the only one who have to worry about that and that is easily bypassed.

Yes, they do. The ECU limits top end to 146 MPH. Speedo's are often off on our cars at these speeds, so some folks have seen 155 or so with the stock ECU. Now, go with an EMS and you get rid of that pesky speed limiter.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure the fastest official time for high end speed of a US Impreza is set at the texas mile event (www.texasmile.com). If I remember correctly, it's around 150 MPH...but that is from a standing start to 1 mile end.

The only other top speed record that I am aware of for Subaru is for the Justy in it's class at Boneville Salt flats...at 117 MPH.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

That's new to me. I know of the auto speed limiter but I've been told by ECUtek tuners that the only thing limiting the manuals was drag. Add more power and you get more speed all the way to redline. I could be wrong but for now 140mph is more than enough speed for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was 1 MPH off on the limit setting. Here is a direct quote from Cobb's map notes for the 04 STi AP:

1.02 - Revised wastegate duty cycle maps to accomidate for an obvious tolerance range for the factory VF39 turbochargers. Not all STI producing consistent boost levels, even in testing unmapped, unmodified cars. Developed a wider variety mapping with different wastegate duty cycle mapping to accommodate for this tolerance.
    Fixed error with speed limiter. Moved from 147 mph to 310 mph.

And just for another example for a 2005 WRX:

1.20 - Speed Limiter completely removed, all transmission types.
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 11-27-2005 at 10:02 AM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

^^^^^^^^^

If you would have tried to by an EVO or WRX when they first came out you'd know exactly what he was talking about. It's called dealer markup and its perfectly legal. Its all about supply and demand.

KG
    My brother got his 2002 wrx in november of 2001 for invoice.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

That's new to me. I know of the auto speed limiter but I've been told by ECUtek tuners that the only thing limiting the manuals was drag. Add more power and you get more speed all the way to redline. I could be wrong but for now 140mph is more than enough speed for me.

maybe there was changes with 04/05 but i buried my speedometer with my 03 and i didnt have a reflash i just had a mbc cb/up/dp so it didnt exist with the manuals in 02/03 atleast.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.