srt4 vs wrx - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on srt4 vs wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yuu mentioned that it was too bad that he doesn't live on a road course, and I was just mentioning ...

Yuu mentioned that it was too bad that he doesn't live on a road course, and I was just mentioning that grip is something that's needed on a road course as well. Common knowledge that WWD doesn't exatcly hook the best on the low end.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Nice. There's this thing called Context. Then there's taking things Out Of Context.

BTW, where did I mention traction, AWD or low end grunt?

I made two statements. And one bad joke.

One, that these cars can be made to be competitive with each other at a drag strip OR a road course, since people were resorting to "0-60 you lose" types of statements.

Two, that street and drag racing, while fun, isn't challenging or particularly interesting (to me). That's basically point and shoot.

Incidentally, back to point 1, you and I both know that, just because one car is faster 0-60 doesn't necessarily means it wins in the quarter, etc.

I'm not some fanboy waving a flag for my car here. I don't street or drag race and I don't own either car.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that, like it or not, the SRT4 and the WRX play, competitively, in the same space. Each has it's own advantage(s).

I made no comments about the physics of either car, so please don't put words in my mouth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What are we talking about again?
    2004 Wrb Sti- Mildly modded!........pause......pause....."NOT!"

Quote Originally Posted by V8killer2pt5
    What are we talking about again?
    SRT4 vs WRX - because the search function can't find the other 3000 topics that have been created like this over the past three years.

I was having so much fun e-thugging it

Think we can get a round three going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Yuu mentioned that it was too bad that he doesn't live on a road course, and I was just mentioning that grip is something that's needed on a road course as well. Common knowledge that WWD doesn't exatcly hook the best on the low end.
    I can testify to that! That's why I'm keeping my power down to about 200hp crank.

i'll say this much:

i've never driven or raced an SRT-4, and know full well i would lose to one, even with Stage 2.

knowing that, i would still die if i had to trade in my car for one. the WRX has impressed me so much, all year round, that i don't really care if the SRT is faster. it would be hard to convince me it's the better car.

plus, stop talking about race teams. we drive our cars to the supermarket half the time.

SRT has the chassis rigidity of a noodle, and is FWD. stop talking about how SRT can handle just as well. physics > skidpad numbers.

being FWD also hampers it from putting down power more effectively as you modify it. SRT owners keep bragging about dyno numbers, but can they put down 300whp going 90mph around a corner? again, the more power you make, the more the WRX is at an advantage. 250awhp > 300fwhp around a corner.

it rains a lot on the east coast. it snows a lot on the east coast. there's no way i'm trading my car in for a faster SRT, because i live in the real world, not on a track.

and the WRX isn't heavy. AWD adds 150lbs. if Subaru made the WRX FWD, and didn't reinforce the chassis, it would weigh close to an SRT. i'll take that extra weight any day.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    i'll say this much:

i've never driven or raced an SRT-4, and know full well i would lose to one, even with Stage 2.

knowing that, i would still die if i had to trade in my car for one. the WRX has impressed me so much, all year round, that i don't really care if the SRT is faster. it would be hard to convince me it's the better car.

plus, stop talking about race teams. we drive our cars to the supermarket half the time.

SRT has the chassis rigidity of a noodle, and is FWD. stop talking about how SRT can handle just as well. physics > skidpad numbers.

being FWD also hampers it from putting down power more effectively as you modify it. SRT owners keep bragging about dyno numbers, but can they put down 300whp going 90mph around a corner? again, the more power you make, the more the WRX is at an advantage. 250awhp > 300fwhp around a corner.

it rains a lot on the east coast. it snows a lot on the east coast. there's no way i'm trading my car in for a faster SRT, because i live in the real world, not on a track.

and the WRX isn't heavy. AWD adds 150lbs. if Subaru made the WRX FWD, and didn't reinforce the chassis, it would weigh close to an SRT. i'll take that extra weight any day.
    Is this directed at me? Who's talking about race teams? I mentioned the track because it seems silly that everyone has these 300hp modded cars to go fast in straight lines from stoplights.

Hmm. I must be getting old.

Anyways, I'm talking about club racing, not pro teams. I don't know about you, but I autocross / track my daily driver. Lots of people do it.

Nobody is arguing that ultimately FWD<AWD, although a number of FWD cars handle better than STOCK WRX's. The Stock WRX suspension was waaaay to soft.

Otherwise, the rest of your post makes valid points but doesn't tell anyone anything we don't already know.

Bear in mind, I'm not a hater. I was so close to buying a WRX. I only went with my car because I thought it was the best daily drivable, autocross car that I could find set up that way from the factory....without $2k to $3k in mods.

SRT-4 don't do anything else other than use there BOV

sigh this will never end. i still will never understand where people got the idea the car can't handle because its not awd makes lots of tq. it will stock for stock out turn and run a wrx in everything but a race to the 60ft mark. its one its class in scca rally and modified is seen in many cases out running sti's, evo's elise's, vetts and so on during many sanction race events. one lap america, scc mag and so on. even if every one of those cars they've raced were bad drivers the srt's chassis is so bad and traction to it shouldn't even keep up right? just because it's a neon doesn't mean it can't go around a turn, neons have bin runing and doing well in scca stock classes for almost 10yrs along with the celica and type r integra's, long before anyone cared about how fast a sport compact could go around a turn.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

this is crazy. all i can say, i love my rex. i would take an srt 4 any day. and by "take" i dont mean beat in a race, i mean i want one. both awesome cars. also dont mean i would take it over my wagon. bottom line, who cares. lets all boast about somebody else's car. its more fun than putting them down. i drove up by this srt4 on the highway and we took turns pushing various gears and had a grand ole time. his friend in the passenger kept staring longingly at my wagon and my friend in my passenger kept drooling over the neon. its really much more fun that way.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

srt4 have underrated dyno numbers there have been stock srt4 that dyno anywhere from 210 to 225. The wrx looses a lot of power due to awd. In a quarter mile they are abuot even because of awd. I have seen a stock srt4 race a sti with cobb stage 2 ap and invidia turboback from a 30mph roll. I was amazed the srt4 kept up with him. The sti had about two cars on him. Your gonna be like the sti would have killed it from a dig and thats true but it was just a stock srt4.

we need to end this thread, for 1 simple fact almost everyone that owns a WRX could have gotten an SRT-4 we all know which one is more expiensive and what everyone chose, people have different values and opinions and needs (ex AWD). Besides lets compare apples to apples instead of oranges. There is no replacement for displacement a 2.4 with FI should beat a 2.0 FI with the same mods straight line, the neon should be compared to something near its liter range, perhaps a 2.5????

end of rant.....
    www.kiowapilots.com

Quote Originally Posted by SRT THIS
    You guys act like your "Impreza's" are gorgeous looking, mean handling machines which they are not! A Stock WRX vs a Stock SRT-4 have just about the same handling, look at the slalom speeds, etc.

The WRX is Heavy and has a way soft suspension that causes alot of understeer! Just like you can add suspension parts, so can the SRT, giving the edge to the AWD. The SRT-4 won't be far behind though, this car HANDLES very well for FWD with a good suspension setup like the one I have

Straight line performance, bye bye WRX

So much hate on my Neon
    the only reason the wrx and srt4 will have the same salom speeds is cuz the nasty all season tires on the stock wrx. put some good tires on both and its no comparision.

egad the dreadful re92's.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    the only reason the wrx and srt4 will have the same salom speeds is cuz the nasty all season tires on the stock wrx. put some good tires on both and its no comparision.

bu the only reason the srt doesn't totally leave the wrx in the corners to start with is it's lack of chamber put adjsutable coilovers on. which is roughly the cost of good tires and were right back where we started. see we could do this all day long.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast