mazdaspeed protege? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on mazdaspeed protege? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night I got to briefly drive a MSP that a friend of mine recently got. It's a nice car. ...

Last night I got to briefly drive a MSP that a friend of mine recently got. It's a nice car.

Positives:
    Kick A$$ stereo!
    I like the orange. It's unique.
    Handling felt very good although I didn't push it.
    Brakes felt very nice.
    Smooth gear shifts.
    For a sedan, the rear seats fold down.

Negatives:
    The gear shift is WAY too low. I think the knob was almost below my thigh.
    Lack of power.
    FWD Torque steer.

Comparison to my '03 Stock Wagon:
    Stereo - MSP all the way although I am very happy with my stero setup. One thing I didn't like about the MSP stereo is that there are too many lights and it looks very busy.

Brakes - MSP. They had a nicer feel although I wasn't doing any performance driving.

M/T - This is a toss-up. I think the MSP shifts felt smoother with no nochiness but the shift knob was wayyyyy too low. I have the Factory SSK and will add the Kartboy bushings and I'm pretty happy with it but it is a bit notchy at times.

Handling - MSP. My friend described it as a FWD miata, which is a pretty good compliment. Obviously, the WRX has a looser suspension for multiple terrains. Also, I haven't swapped out my rear sway yet. Still, the Racing Beat suspension setup has a very nice feel to it. The AWD of the WRX does help and I think it can be made to handle as well as the MSP.

Interior Comfort - WRX (to me). I think the seats in my WRX have a much nicer feel and better support. The stereo on the MSP is a little complicated compared to my easy to use 6 disk changer but you've got to love the MP3 playback ability. My WRX has a boost gauge while the MSP doesn't. Not a big deal stock but I like to see what's going on.

Power - WRX. The small boost numbers on the MSP do not, in any way, compare to the push of the WRX under full boost.

Functionality - I have a wagon, Need I say anymore?

Modability - I think the WRX wins hands down, as it has been around a little bit and is a favorite among the SCC tuner group.

Overall, if power wasn't a driving goal and I had to choose between a MSP and a WRX Sedan, I might save a few thousand and get the MSP. Especially if I didn't plan to make any modifications. Personally, I love the AWD of the Subaru and the wagon functionality is a must.
    2003 WRX WR Blue Wagon
    1999 Red Miata DRGN RDR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Billio -- that's a great, comprehensive report. Thanks for sharing it with us
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Originally posted by Billio
    Last night I got to briefly drive a MSP that a friend of mine recently got. It's a nice car.

Positives:
    Kick A$$ stereo!
    I like the orange. It's unique.
    Handling felt very good although I didn't push it.
    Brakes felt very nice.
    Smooth gear shifts.
    For a sedan, the rear seats fold down.

Negatives:
    The gear shift is WAY too low. I think the knob was almost below my thigh.
    Lack of power.
    FWD Torque steer.

Comparison to my '03 Stock Wagon:
    Stereo - MSP all the way although I am very happy with my stero setup. One thing I didn't like about the MSP stereo is that there are too many lights and it looks very busy.

Brakes - MSP. They had a nicer feel although I wasn't doing any performance driving.

M/T - This is a toss-up. I think the MSP shifts felt smoother with no nochiness but the shift knob was wayyyyy too low. I have the Factory SSK and will add the Kartboy bushings and I'm pretty happy with it but it is a bit notchy at times.

Handling - MSP. My friend described it as a FWD miata, which is a pretty good compliment. Obviously, the WRX has a looser suspension for multiple terrains. Also, I haven't swapped out my rear sway yet. Still, the Racing Beat suspension setup has a very nice feel to it. The AWD of the WRX does help and I think it can be made to handle as well as the MSP.

Interior Comfort - WRX (to me). I think the seats in my WRX have a much nicer feel and better support. The stereo on the MSP is a little complicated compared to my easy to use 6 disk changer but you've got to love the MP3 playback ability. My WRX has a boost gauge while the MSP doesn't. Not a big deal stock but I like to see what's going on.

Power - WRX. The small boost numbers on the MSP do not, in any way, compare to the push of the WRX under full boost.

Functionality - I have a wagon, Need I say anymore?

Modability - I think the WRX wins hands down, as it has been around a little bit and is a favorite among the SCC tuner group.

Overall, if power wasn't a driving goal and I had to choose between a MSP and a WRX Sedan, I might save a few thousand and get the MSP. Especially if I didn't plan to make any modifications. Personally, I love the AWD of the Subaru and the wagon functionality is a must.

Nice report. However, having a Miata (I think it's the same motor besides compression ratio) you should know the modability should be decent. I've got two friends with Miata turbos and they both haul ass.

Both Miatas sport T28's w/IC's. One has a 6 spd and the other a 5spd. Both are on stock bottom-ends. Both Miatas run 13 flat and aren't even setup for drag racing (they are Auto-xer's). If they set the camber up on the rear wheels I'm sure they'd run a couple of tenths quicker.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Question

What turbo kits are they running? I've been contemplating a project miata. I was thinking about doing up a 1999 LS with a turbo kit, brakes & suspension.

Garett T25 Ball Bearing Turbocharger
    -Stephanie-

Actually, I wasn't aware that the MSP had the same engine. If so, the possibilities greatly increase.

As for my miata, it is what I put my money in. I plan to go with either a Flying Miata cold side SC, BRP coldside SC or turbo. I know I can get it into the 13s without too much work and it should be pretty nice at the track.

About the only performance mods I plan to do to my Wagon are MBC (Already have a JoeP but not installed), gutted uppipe, new catback and sedan rear sway. Overall, not too much money.

As for the MSP, it's a nice car. If you want a nice, all around sporty daily driver, I think it's a great option. I would complain about the FWD on the track but the Acura ITRs do pretty well in the SCCA Touring Car championship. The MSP is a factory car with all the bases covered. Great suspension, very good brakes, smooth shifter, glitter appeal inside and out, awesome stereo and nice base power.

For me to keep up with one at the track, I will certainly need a new rear sway and new rubber. Now, my underpowered miata? That might be a different story . Of course, I am still more comfortable in my miata at speed compared to the WRX.

As for fast miatas out there? I know of quite a few NICE turbo setups. A couple are easily into the low 13s, possible 12s. Jen in Louisville has her monster almost into the 10s.
    2003 WRX WR Blue Wagon
    1999 Red Miata DRGN RDR

Garett T25 Ball Bearing Turbocharger

I've done an aftermarket turbo-kit on a car & the turbo is just one part of the kit. Things to look for:

Engine management
    Fuel upgrades
    kit construction, fit & finish

Depending on the kit, it can be a nightmare, but folks (Flyin' Miata) have been making kits for the Miata for a while, so other people have been the R&D guinea pigs.

Cool mazdaspeed protege

just saw the first one here in town last week.. couple nice looking girls in it.. a little to young, i am afraid the wife would not understand lol.. they look nice and i hope some show up for next months scca or porsche club races..

The Miatas use the BP series motors while the Proteges use the FS series for thier 2 liter. They are similar though.
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3-Laser Mica Blue
    Engine Mods:
    B.E.G.I. Turbo System !!
    [ACT Z66 -HDSS Clutch Kit] [Fidanza Flywheel] [Sparkco Ignition Wires] [FM Sequential BOV] [JIC-Magic 505 Sus Exhaust System] [B.E.G.I. Off-Road Downpipe] [J&S 2-channel Ultra Safeguard] [Pauter Forged Rods] [JE Forged Pistons] [Pierburg In-line Fuel Pump] [AWR Motor Mounts]
    Aesthetic Mods: [Street Glow Blue Neons - Gold Series] [APC Carbon Fiber Tail Lamps] [Mazdaspeed Shoulder Pads] [Shadow Tech Tint- Dark] [Passport 8500 (For the Lawz)] [Dual Gauge Pod (Tripple soon!)] [2 TFT Headrest TV's/ 1 TFT Visor Screen] [Blaupunkt DVD system]

-----------------------------------
    LinuxRacr@attbi.com
    -----------------------------------

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456