mazdaspeed protege? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on mazdaspeed protege? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i like the rims personally (RH) but mazda ...... i'm not really sure about its reliability issue but this is ...

i like the rims personally (RH)
    but mazda ...... i'm not really sure about its reliability issue
    but this is a nice car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by chobits
    but this is a nice car
    The reliability is up there with the highes! At least for the stuff that is made in Japan (Like the MSP and the MP3).
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3-Laser Mica Blue
    Engine Mods:
    B.E.G.I. Turbo System !!
    [ACT Z66 -HDSS Clutch Kit] [Fidanza Flywheel] [Sparkco Ignition Wires] [FM Sequential BOV] [JIC-Magic 505 Sus Exhaust System] [B.E.G.I. Off-Road Downpipe] [J&S 2-channel Ultra Safeguard] [Pauter Forged Rods] [JE Forged Pistons] [Pierburg In-line Fuel Pump] [AWR Motor Mounts]
    Aesthetic Mods: [Street Glow Blue Neons - Gold Series] [APC Carbon Fiber Tail Lamps] [Mazdaspeed Shoulder Pads] [Shadow Tech Tint- Dark] [Passport 8500 (For the Lawz)] [Dual Gauge Pod (Tripple soon!)] [2 TFT Headrest TV's/ 1 TFT Visor Screen] [Blaupunkt DVD system]

-----------------------------------
    LinuxRacr@attbi.com
    -----------------------------------

i had a deposit on a msp for about 3 months, then they never came in so i got a wrx, which im much happier with. The mazdaspeed is bad ass though i sat in one at a dealership just doesnt have the performance but it looks awesome

Preformance in terms of what?
    -Stephanie-

Well, I won't put words in his mouth, but I assume he means engine performance. Then again, the WRX has a lot more tuning potential than a front-driver, which ultimately gets capped by torque steer.

But - congrats on your new ride, MSP. If I was looking for a performance car for around $20k, the MazdaSpeed Protege would be my choice as well. SVT Focus would be in the ballpark with it, but I'd take the Mazda.
    Old, but not slow.

Let me throw in my two cents.

I got to test drive one of the first three Mazdaspeeds to hit California's shores, and I was pretty impressed by it. Despite only having 170hp/160lb.-ft, the turbo has minimal lag (I didn't notice any significant lag) since the turbo is small and only running between 7 and 9 psi at most. (Plus the intercooler is the size of your average box of macaroni.) But damn, Mazda and Callaway did an awesome job at making the engine have a great usable powerband with a lot of low-end torque. The 14.9-second quarter-mile time is totally believable with the right driver (who may even do better). The only problem? The missing explosion of power once the turbo is at full boost (i.e. double-digit psi) that we have grown accustomed to in the WRX.

Aside from the motor and such, it's a decent-looking car. It's not too flashy, yet it's gonna stick out of your typical crowd of cars. Plus the steering wheel, seats, pedals, and short shifter feel really good. And that 450-watt Kenwood eXcelon makes it even better.

This is without a doubt a great car that is well worth the $20k, plus it will school most of its competition (Acura RSX Type-S, Honda Civic Si, Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, etc.) except for the WRX and Neon SRT-4.

Originally posted by DeeezNuuuts83
    Let me throw in my two cents.

I got to test drive one of the first three Mazdaspeeds to hit California's shores, and I was pretty impressed by it. Despite only having 170hp/160lb.-ft, the turbo has minimal lag (I didn't notice any significant lag) since the turbo is small and only running between 7 and 9 psi at most. (Plus the intercooler is the size of your average box of macaroni.) But damn, Mazda and Callaway did an awesome job at making the engine have a great usable powerband with a lot of low-end torque. The 14.9-second quarter-mile time is totally believable with the right driver (who may even do better). The only problem? The missing explosion of power once the turbo is at full boost (i.e. double-digit psi) that we have grown accustomed to in the WRX.

Aside from the motor and such, it's a decent-looking car. It's not too flashy, yet it's gonna stick out of your typical crowd of cars. Plus the steering wheel, seats, pedals, and short shifter feel really good. And that 450-watt Kenwood eXcelon makes it even better.

This is without a doubt a great car that is well worth the $20k, plus it will school most of its competition (Acura RSX Type-S, Honda Civic Si, Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, etc.) except for the WRX and Neon SRT-4.

where did you te5t drive it?

Originally posted by chobits
    but this is a nice car
    reliability = not a problem
    OEM parts = fortune
    high part prices = higher insurance, bad if you keep the car past the warranty

Originally posted by turbolsd
    where did you te5t drive it?
    I live in Irvine, CA, and I test drove it at Tustin Acura, which is a neighboring city. I used to sell cell phones right across the street from all the dealerships, so my lunchbreaks typically consisted of test driving new cars. And as I side note, I think I test drove the car way back in late November/early December, so it was a while back. I was surprised they would let me, considering it was one of three in California (and the only one the dealership had) at the time, I was only 19 at the time, I made it clear I wouldn't buy it, and they even had to move four cars to get it out (since it was in the very center of the showroom). And I didn't even have to ask, they just offered the opportunity to me.

Thank5 for the re5pon5e. Before the protege, I tet5t drove the acura r5x-5, the civic 5i, prelude 5h, and celica gt-5. The r5x-5 wa5 very refined compared to the integra but it did not handle a5 well a5 the type R. It wa5 quick and had nice driver po5ition but lacked the 5port5 car like handling characteri5tic5. The civic 5i lacked hp but the 5teering feel wa5 nice. The driver po5ition wa5 not good. The prelude 5h wa5 a 5uperb car in my opinion becau5e it had the 5peed, handling and a 5port5 car feel. The celica gt-5 handled well and good performance. I wa5 con5idering the wrx but I am leaning toward5 the 2004 5ytle but I needed a car now and for the price, the protege wa5 the be5t choice. The handling i5 in ca5e5 better than the itr but not a5 fa5t. It wa5 3k cheaper than the competition therefore, it wa5 a very good choice on the pocket. I'm not the modding type nor the 5peeding type and the protege i5 ju5t the be5t choice a5 i5 for the price.

One my of letter5 are not working.

Originally posted by turbolsd
    One my of letter5 are not working.
    Really? Which one? Haha. Thanks for clearing that up, I was about to clown you for all those 5's that you used. I'm glad that you like the Mazdaspeed Protege, it's a great car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by cyrilgrey
    reliability = not a problem
    I'm not sure where you got this from, but I sold my MP3 for 2 reasons...
    1) Everything was breaking, squeaking, rattling... You go on an MP3/MSP board like this one and you see people complain about everything in the cars... maybe the MSP is better... As I said earlier, I broke my tranny after ~15,000 miles, and I never ripped into it...

2) Customer Service... I went to 9 dealers in NJ before I found one that I wanted to deal with... Reps who lie like there is no tomorrow, bad mechanics... This was the topper for me... driving 100+ miles for service was just too much for me (especially when there is a dealer 1 mile from my house that SUCKS

My 2 cents..
    -MK
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

in my MSP ive never had any noise problems, yes on the mazda forums, there are quite a few threads posted about, "clunking" , but I have been fortunate.
    As far as service goes, the dealership that I have been dealing with thus far has been excelent. No complains here
    -Stephanie-

Everybody will have different experiences with different dealers. I'm sure there are Subaru dealers out there who are just as bad and have soured the taste of future Subaru owners. It's luck of the draw.
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

yes thats for sure.
    The dealership I go to is Mazda/Subaru
    -Stephanie-

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast