mazdaspeed protege? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on mazdaspeed protege? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Billio, keep us posted on the comparison! Interesting......

Billio, keep us posted on the comparison! Interesting...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

December Motor Trend

Speaking of Mazda's, did anyone see the new issue of MT? Page 38 has a pic of a new Mazda, the Mazda6 MPS. It is a 2.3/280hp, awd car with 6 speed. Looks alittle like the IS-300, I think. I think it looks pretty sweet and with 280hp stock, it should move pretty good I would imagine.

the mazda has one big drawback, they didnt lower the compression on the block and the kit was made with saving money and not changing ANY internals. needless to say you cant mod it much
    2003 WRX Sedan
    -Midnight Black
    -5 speed tranny
    -Short throw shifter
    -STi knob, (anyone wanna trade knobs)
    -Spoiler

Originally posted by Blackrex03
    the mazda has one big drawback, they didnt lower the compression on the block and the kit was made with saving money and not changing ANY internals. needless to say you cant mod it much
    on the contrary...high compression is great for turbocharged motors you just need some computerized engine management. granted you have a smaller window for tuning but thats what the stand alone is for.

high compression lets you run a larger turbocharger with less lag.
    many of the turbo GSR's and Type R's running ridiculously low times on the strip will provide evidence to this.

and the compression is not a factor of the block so much as it is of the pistons..granted a thicker headgasket can change it, but thats the ghetto way of doing it. im sure a few BPU can push this car pretty far, its a very capable platform.

i feel sorry for the mp3 and mp5 guys who bought aftermarket turbos.

EDIT: i almost forgot to mention, the real lowpoint of these is the tranny...even mp5 power was a bit much for them, but with turbo is pushing the limits of the stock transmission and any major power made will require a lot of backup units or something new to be fabricated...but hey were all subaru drivers we know all about that predicament!
    Like drinking poison. Like eating glass.

I Support ClubWRX
    i almost forgot to mention, the real lowpoint of these is the tranny
    So true. I managed to break the tranny on my old MP3 with ~15,000 miles on it. I broke a shift fork and mangled a whole bunch of other stuff. The trannies are very fragile and can barely handle the power stock, let alone with mods. I would hope that they beefed up the tranny a bit for the MSP but who knows...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

One word... Detonation. Same internals, and i think the boost is set at 7psi or something low, the operation only costed mazda the turbo itself, the intercooler is used on foreign mazda's. I do like the handling of the car though, better than the rex on pavement.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    -Midnight Black
    -5 speed tranny
    -Short throw shifter
    -Spoiler

i guess stand alone would help, but im not sure how reliable that car would be...
    2003 WRX Sedan
    -Midnight Black
    -5 speed tranny
    -Short throw shifter
    -Spoiler

I actually had a deposit for the Mazdaspeed, but since Mazda can't seem to get their act together, I bailed and got a WRX wagon instead.
    2003 WRB WRX wagon

Originally posted by Weapon wrX
    yea..i like the wagons better..but id drive a sedan too..it couldnt pull me away from my wrx wagon tho
    WeaponWRX: hellsing is a great anime!!!

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

I didnt see mentioned that it's FWD....ick. Yeah I know it handles well, but it's the pigs ear type of thing. FWD is always limited to how much power you can put down to the ground while turning. 200HP on FWD is tricky without equal length shafts,a good LSD, lots of caster and funky offset even then torque steer has you all over the road.

High compression may be great for those high powered Hondas, but I bet they are not running pump gas (91 oct in CA). Standalone or not you're not going very far with 10+:1 compression on pump gas and forced induction. Running anything other than pump gas for anything other than a weekend or trailer queen just plain sucks.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

mazdaspeed

That true automoble magazine did get a 14.9 on the mazda speed
    that is a lot faster then a spec v.

Originally posted by STI on order
    cheaper to buy the Flying Miata turbo kit and then add it to the P5.
    That's what I did to my MP3. It flies! Tonight I semi raced WRX Wagon on I-30. Too much traffic to get a real side by side race, but I surprised the hell out of homedude. He he! There was one point where I slipped in behind him, and he took off. I was right on his ass, and gave up no distance!
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3-Laser Mica Blue
    Engine Mods:
    B.E.G.I. Turbo System !!
    [ACT Z66 -HDSS Clutch Kit] [Fidanza Flywheel] [Sparkco Ignition Wires] [FM Sequential BOV] [JIC-Magic 505 Sus Exhaust System] [B.E.G.I. Off-Road Downpipe] [J&S 2-channel Ultra Safeguard] [Pauter Forged Rods] [JE Forged Pistons] [Pierburg In-line Fuel Pump] [AWR Motor Mounts]
    Aesthetic Mods: [Street Glow Blue Neons - Gold Series] [APC Carbon Fiber Tail Lamps] [Mazdaspeed Shoulder Pads] [Shadow Tech Tint- Dark] [Passport 8500 (For the Lawz)] [Dual Gauge Pod (Tripple soon!)] [2 TFT Headrest TV's/ 1 TFT Visor Screen] [Blaupunkt DVD system]

-----------------------------------
    LinuxRacr@attbi.com
    -----------------------------------

Re: December Motor Trend

Originally posted by BlackWRX
    Speaking of Mazda's, did anyone see the new issue of MT? Page 38 has a pic of a new Mazda, the Mazda6 MPS. It is a 2.3/280hp, awd car with 6 speed. Looks alittle like the IS-300, I think. I think it looks pretty sweet and with 280hp stock, it should move pretty good I would imagine.
    I saw that. It looked really nice. The only down part about the article is that it said that Mazda wasnt going to make it for the public .

i raced one and killed it. i dont know whatthe guy was thinking.

the intercooler is the size of a post-it note.
    2002 Platinum WRX
    Mods- Lots of goodies...

"Faith, its not something that I grasp, its something that I fake, as im slipping as im falling through the cracks. Faith, without actions is a mask,as im slipping as im falling through the cracks"
    -Thrice

Originally posted by LagunaRex
    ...the intercooler is the size of a post-it note.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast