How much would I win by.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on How much would I win by. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm going to race a guy I know who has a 97 Z28 LT1 auto. He has Hooker long tubes, ...

How much would I win by.

I'm going to race a guy I know who has a 97 Z28 LT1 auto. He has Hooker long tubes, Jet-Hot coated Hooker ORY, Flow master Super 40, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, Richmond 3.73 gears, SuperChips custom tune, SLP CAI and airfoil, 1LE elbow, Koni Sports all around and Addco custom sway bar kit (35mm front/22mm rear), 245 Nitto 555Rs on the back.

I'm Cobb stage 2 catless. I've raced a lightly modded manual 04 Mustang GT from a roll twice and beat it very easily probably 2 car lengths.

I figure I would at least hang with him from a roll if not pull on him and kill him from a dig.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i had a friend with an manual 98 lt1 z28 with similar mods ran low 13's at around 107-110....i dont remember exactly what he had but i know he had headers and cams too which you didnt mention, you'll probably lose off a roll.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

VR4
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    I'm going to race a guy I know who has a 97 Z28 LT1 auto. He has Hooker long tubes, Jet-Hot coated Hooker ORY, Flow master Super 40, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, Richmond 3.73 gears, SuperChips custom tune, SLP CAI and airfoil, 1LE elbow, Koni Sports all around and Addco custom sway bar kit (35mm front/22mm rear), 245 Nitto 555Rs on the back.

I'm Cobb stage 2 catless. I've raced a lightly modded manual 04 Mustang GT from a roll twice and beat it very easily probably 2 car lengths.

I figure I would at least hang with him from a roll if not pull on him and kill him from a dig.
    I'd say you'll prolly lose dig or roll. I'm no Lt1 expert though.
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

2005 Yamaha R1 Raven Black

From a dig you'd win easily. First off, it's auto. Secondly, he can burn the crap out of his tires all day long. On the highway, auto or not, with those mods you can kiss your butt goodbye, he'll be off like a shot. There's a LOT more power there than a mustang gt, plus cobb stg 2 is nothing special. The "weakest" 97 z28 engine had 285 hp, then 305 and 310 as you worked your way up (all 5.7 litres). Sorry, but as much as I hate American "muscle" cars, you'd get your butt kicked on anything but a dig, backroads, and a gas mileage contest

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    i had a friend with an manual 98 lt1 z28 with similar mods ran low 13's at around 107-110....i dont remember exactly what he had but i know he had headers and cams too which you didnt mention, you'll probably lose off a roll.
    98 was the LS1, heads and cams make a huge difference to a LT1 over a 100whp. He has stock ones.

I know the stock auto LT1 Z28 runs mid 14s.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstars
    From a dig you'd win easily. First off, it's auto. Secondly, he can burn the crap out of his tires all day long. On the highway, auto or not, with those mods you can kiss your butt goodbye, he'll be off like a shot. There's a LOT more power there than a mustang gt, plus cobb stg 2 is nothing special. The "weakest" 97 z28 engine had 285 hp, then 305 and 310 as you worked your way up (all 5.7 litres). Sorry, but as much as I hate American "muscle" cars, you'd get your butt kicked on anything but a dig, backroads, and a gas mileage contest
    His makes 285hp stock, the auto makes about 230-240whp and redlines at 5700rpm or so. Also it weighs close to 3600lbs. SO he's probably making 260-270whp now.
    Last edited by bigwrxguy; 07-22-2005 at 09:44 PM.

dig = probable win
    roll = certain death

You better be able to launch the hell out of your car!!!
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

That car will probably keep up with/beat you out of the whole too.

I would imagine that if he got the gears, he also got a larger stall. A geared/stalled LT1 with the tire/suspension he has will pull 1.5-1.7 60 footers pretty easily at the track. Now, even w/o the larger stall, he will still pull sub 2's very easily with Nittos and gears. Remember, those nittos are drag radials for the street. Heat them up and they will hook.

edit: just read nittos own description of them
    http://www.nittotire.com/tires_555r.asp

That LT1 is putting down close to 260-270 at the wheels, and will run low consistent low 13's/high 12's at around 104-105 MPH. The flowmaster exhaust is hurting him, as is the superchips as I am not even sure they make tuning for LT1's (it might just be a regular tune, but if it is a superchips, it probably is no good for that car).

FWIW, 98 F-bodies had LS1, not LT1 which have 50 more HP with a different power-band (LT1 was like the older V-8's, very good low-end with a top-end that would make you yearn for more while the LS1 is a top-end beast with exceptionally flowing heads from the factory)

Good luck! If you can drive well, you may beat him, but I am putting my money on him if he also has a stall and "forgot" to tell you.
    Last edited by Gloveperson; 07-23-2005 at 12:39 AM.
    04 Silver STi M6

They weigh 3,441 pounds by the way.

He has no stall, his Nittos are only 245 there stock size, it's not like there 315 or anything.

The LS1 wieghs a little under 3500lbs the LT1 is over 3500lbs, I looked it up and he told me it was.

Drag radials or not, theres no way hes going to hookup very well with 260-270 at the wheels on 245 tires (especially since I'm sure his tq numbers are much higher than that), hed be lucky to pull the equivilent to a 2.6-3.0 60' on the street with those, remember a track is going to be prepped sticky too, which the street will not.

I had a co-worker with almost all of the same mods you listed, except he was also stroked to 383 and had a 6speed instead of the auto, his car would pull low 13's @ 110 (he bought it modified and thats what the previos owner ran), I think he had 255 radials on the back of his and he still couldnt hook up to save his life, he told me that I would beat him because of this, even though I was only stg 2 at the time, unfortunatly the car was broken so much we never actually had a chance to race and find out .

I say go race him and see. I dont know a ton about LT1's, but I know that if hes only putting 270 to the wheels with those mods like people are saying here, it should be pretty close from a roll, and if you can launch you will eat him alive from a stop with all the tirespin he will get, you have to be a VERY good driver to launch an f-body with that much power, and even then its like driving on ice. For comparisson the 98+ models usually dyno closer to 300 at the wheels, and they tend to run mid 13's @105+ stock, so if hes not putting as much power down as an LS1 it should be close for a stage 2.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    I say go race him and see. I dont know a ton about LT1's, but I know that if hes only putting 270 to the wheels with those mods like people are saying here, it should be pretty close from a roll, and if you can launch you will eat him alive from a stop with all the tirespin he will get, you have to be a VERY good driver to launch an f-body with that much power, and even then its like driving on ice. For comparisson the 98+ models usually dyno closer to 300 at the wheels, and they tend to run mid 13's @105+ stock, so if hes not putting as much power down as an LS1 it should be close for a stage 2.
    He has drag suspension and trust me, those Nittos will hook up very very well...I've seen it a thousand times on the street with similar tires. It is not hard at all to launch an automatic F-body with heated up nittos. I am putting down more power than he is and with street tires I pull sub 2's on the track.

You are highly underestimating what sticky tires do on the street..just do a search for any F-body video done by Havoc and some stalled-auto f-bodies on the street...he is running tires similar to Nittos (or nittos) and he pulls hard from a stop...and this is a manual which all launch weaker than autos.

The fact that it is the street is a factor, but since he is only putting down close to 300 lbs of tq at the wheels, his car is not that fast and is not making enough torque to spin drag radials with a drag suspension (assuming he got the right konis) to a 2.6 second 60 footer on any sort of dry pavement with current day weather (aka not winter).

He is making less power than a stock LS1 F-body, but hass drag raidals. a drag suspension and shorter gears. FWIW, an LS1 auto with nothing more than drag radials has hit mid 12's before, take into acount that he is running less power, I forsee a low 13 second car which is just as fast/faster than a Stage 2.

Now, I am not saying he is going to win or lose since this is the street and anything can happen, but if both of them can drive, there will be no "eating alive" for either car.

edit: the 245 size may be a factor, but his power is not as overwhelming as you may think it is like a 383 which was probably producing about 70-100 more HP if he was trapping at 110.
    Last edited by Gloveperson; 07-23-2005 at 12:37 PM.
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    He has drag suspension and trust me, those Nittos will hook up very very well...I've seen it a thousand times on the street with similar tires. It is not hard at all to launch an automatic F-body with heated up nittos. I am putting down more power than he is and with street tires I pull sub 2's on the track.

You are highly underestimating what sticky tires do on the street..just do a search for any F-body video done by Havoc and some stalled-auto f-bodies on the street...he is running tires similar to Nittos (or nittos) and he pulls hard from a stop...and this is a manual which all launch weaker than autos.

The fact that it is the street is a factor, but since he is only putting down close to 300 lbs of tq at the wheels, his car is not that fast and is not making enough torque to spin drag radials with a drag suspension (assuming he got the right konis) to a 2.6 second 60 footer on any sort of dry pavement with current day weather (aka not winter).

He is making less power than a stock LS1 F-body, but hass drag raidals. a drag suspension and shorter gears. FWIW, an LS1 auto with nothing more than drag radials has hit mid 12's before, take into acount that he is running less power, I forsee a low 13 second car which is just as fast/faster than a Stage 2.

Now, I am not saying he is going to win or lose since this is the street and anything can happen, but if both of them can drive, there will be no "eating alive" for either car.

edit: the 245 size may be a factor, but his power is not as overwhelming as you may think it is like a 383 which was probably producing about 70-100 more HP if he was trapping at 110.

He doesn't have a drag supension, the konis are stiffer than stock and he still has the stock springs. I told him to replace them but he wouldn't listen. If it was a drag setup they would be very soft springs.

Also bare in mind his car has 65k on it now, mine has 20k. I don't see the Nittos making that big of a difference stock size. He couldn't get any traction with the stock tires, everytime he's touch the gas pedal his rear end would come up.

I know he says it's better now, I don't know how much.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    He doesn't have a drag supension, the konis are stiffer than stock and he still has the stock springs. I told him to replace them but he wouldn't listen. If it was a drag setup they would be very soft springs.

Also bare in mind his car has 65k on it now, mine has 20k. I don't see the Nittos making that big of a difference stock size. He couldn't get any traction with the stock tires, everytime he's touch the gas pedal his rear end would come up.

I know he says it's better now, I don't know how much.
    Boo, he only has the Konis? Bahh..tell him to ditch the flowmaster and get some Lower control arms, relocation brakets, adjustable panhard rod, torque arm as well. That will run about 300-400 dollars.

I had an LT1 with power similar to his and traction was a severe problem untill I got better tires, after I got those I could pretty much nail it and only chirp a bit..it was not as quick off the line as a stage 2, but would certinaly stay within a car or 1/2 a car.

As for the milage, LT1's have been known to make more power at 50k+, just like other chevy small blocks. This may be a wives tale, but having 65k miles will not hamper the car. I had a friend who had a 93 Formula with 120k miles who took his stock LT1 to a 14.2@99 mph, which is on average for one, but just plain cool to do with such high milage

Since you know inform me of his fairly week stock suspension, you probably will beat him from a dig, but a roll will still be quite close.

Good luck!

edit: I do however hope to see that you will be pleasantly surprised about how much difference Nittos do, heated up that are good for cars making 400+ HP. If they are cold/no burn-out before hand..they will make a difference but nothing like I have been proclaiming thus far.
    Last edited by Gloveperson; 07-23-2005 at 01:02 PM.
    04 Silver STi M6

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast