How much would I win by. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on How much would I win by. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yep. My 94 went 13.4 with headers, catback, cai, and 4.10 gears and a hypertech programmer. This was on radials ...

Yep. My 94 went 13.4 with headers, catback, cai, and 4.10 gears and a hypertech programmer. This was on radials with me spinning the tires three quarters of the way through first gear. Just cuz it is an older car, doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've seen some flying Lt1's, if he's poppping check for a bottle good.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    I don't know I doubt his few mods increased his trap by 10mph. And took over a second of his quarter
    you are incorrect.

Although the LT1 is not as potent as the LS1 they still respond rather well to mods... The car runs low 14's stock and traps right around 100mph. With headers, full-exhaust, gears, tuned Ecu he could EASILY pull his traps up near 108mph and be running mid 13's. You might have a chance from a dig, but dont even think you have a hope from a roll in a stageII wrx.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    you are incorrect.

Although the LT1 is not as potent as the LS1 they still respond rather well to mods... The car runs low 14's stock and traps right around 100mph. With headers, full-exhaust, gears, tuned Ecu he could EASILY pull his traps up near 108mph and be running mid 13's. You might have a chance from a dig, but dont even think you have a hope from a roll in a stageII wrx.
    Maybe with a manual tranny and something besides the flowmaster catback, but an auto LT1 won't trap at 108 consistently with his paticular mods. For a 108 trap, an F-body will have to be above 300 RWHP in almost all cases. If he had rockers, a cut-out and a tune that isn't superchips, he would be higher in all likely hood.
    Last edited by Gloveperson; 07-23-2005 at 10:29 PM.
    04 Silver STi M6

Not with a Auto.
    I failed to mention it was indeed an auto.

LT1 cars had some huge variances from the factory... I've seen bone stock cars trapping anywhere from 98-105 in the 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    you are incorrect.

If his car was running this fast he'd be able to keep up with stock LS1 and he doesn't when it get's to 80+mph they just pull away from him.

I'll race him sometime or another and will see what happens.

I think he would beat you. From a dig you would probably pulll on him, then he would pass you by. From a roll he would walk you.

If his car was running this fast he'd be able to keep up with stock LS1 and he doesn't when it get's to 80+mph they just pull away from him.

I'll race him sometime or another and will see what happens.
    LS1s aren't all they're cracked up to be. Sure, they've got some top end, but they aren't all that.

I have some bolt-ons and ran with one at high rpm in my '94 LT1.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
    LS1s aren't all they're cracked up to be. Sure, they've got some top end, but they aren't all that.

I have some bolt-ons and ran with one at high rpm in my '94 LT1.
    I think you are looking at it the wrong way...its not that LS1's are over-rated, it is that LT1's are under-rated

[especially on most F-body forums nowadays]
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    I think you are looking at it the wrong way...its not that LS1's are over-rated, it is that LT1's are under-rated

Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson

How could it be underated when it makes 50 less to the wheels?

How could it be underated when it makes 50 less to the wheels?
    Contrary to what everyone wants you to believe about the LS1, not all of them are dynoing at 300 whp. As an example, my cousin had a 1998 Z28 with an automatic, and it was a stock car. At the time, I had a Flowmaster MUFFLER, cold air intake, and an air foil. I raced him and beat him.....by over a car length. In all honesty, his car would've been lucky to run faster than a 14.30. No joke. Granted, it's the SLOWEST LS1 I've EVER been in, but they're out there, just as there are factory freaks that are out there.

In reality, most LS1s are dynoing around 280-290 whp. Not every LS1 out there is dynoing these astronomical numbers. One car ran 12.90s in a magazine, and then all LS1 owners think they ran 12.90s also. Not true. In fact, the FASTEST STOCK LS1 I have actually seen run ran 13.60s @ 106mph. Now, maybe none of the people I've seen at the car could drive, but I find that hard to believe. Most LS1 owners will have you believing they're consistently running 13.10s bone stock. I personally did not find that to be the case through my experiences.

As for the LT1s, I have seen SOME of them put down 275 whp BONE STOCK. No, this isn't the norm, but like I said, as with the LS1s, the freaks are out there. They are very few and far between. My experiences are that most of the LT1s bone stock were putting down about 260 whp.

LT1s are very underrated as far as mod capabilities. They can be made just as quick as anything else, with few parts. It doesn't take a lot to run mid 12s in an LT1, just as it doesn't with an LS1. Admittedly, the LT1's heads do not flow half as well as the LS1 heads, and this is the LT1's major downfall. Port the heads out, add an exhaust and other basic bolt-ons, and you're going to have a nice performing ride.

There's definitely not a 50 whp difference in between the two cars. I can honestly say that I have never been "smoked" by an LS1. In most of my encounters with them, the races were within a half-car of each other.

Well, my LS1 put down 53 more RWHP stock than my LT1 did. As for the majority of 290 RWHP ones, that is well below the average for a *manual* LS1 (but there are of course many more autos than 6-speeds..something like 80% A4 vs 20% M6).

An auto rarely will put down more than 300 while a manual will rarely put down less than 300. If either do the opposite, something is either very good with the car or something is wrong (on average, well all know dynos vary).

Lowest I have seen is 280, highest I have seen is 330 (factory slug versus factory freak)

As for what they run, at my track (Englishtown) I have never seen anyone go slower than a 13.5, but E-town is a goooood track sometimes (I have personally seen over a dozen 12 second stock passes for them).

The really slow LS1's are the 2.73 geared A4, those generally will not run faster than a 13.5. The 3.23 geared A4 and the M6 will pull low 13's given a decent driver (my definition of decent driver is 2% of the populus, the vast majority of all driver suck).

If you pull a 2.0 60 footer in a stock LS1 (which most people cannot), no matter the gear ratio (albeit much harder to do that in the 2.73) you will run a 13.0-13.2 at Englishtown, NJ in good weather. I am not all that good of a driver and when I went stock, I pulled a 2.2 and got a wonderfull 13.4

The 12 second ones have to pull lower than a 2.0 and that just simply requires an enormous amount of skill, such as Evan Smith who was the driver of the infamous MMFF articles in which he a 12.98 with a 99 and a 12.89 with an 01.

On average, a manual LS1 will put down 50 RWHP more than a manual LT1 and an auto LS1 will on average put down 50 more RWHP than an auto.

It does really bother my how much people under-rate LT1's, while they do not have the top-end of an LS1, give me a bolt-on LT1 versus a stock LS1 and the LT1 will put down more low end and midrange power than the LS1.

Many LS1 drivers always forget that the people who run the 12 second LS1 passes run 13.6 passes in an LT1. They are not a full second apart in the 1/4 as many believe. (although the top-end difference is not a myth, a stock LS1 will pretty much destroy a stock LT1 above 100, or even a stock LS1 versus a bolt-on LT1..the heads on the LS1 just flow better)
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
    Contrary to what everyone wants you to believe about the LS1, not all of them are dynoing at 300 whp. As an example, my cousin had a 1998 Z28 with an automatic, and it was a stock car. At the time, I had a Flowmaster MUFFLER, cold air intake, and an air foil. I raced him and beat him.....by over a car length. In all honesty, his car would've been lucky to run faster than a 14.30. No joke. Granted, it's the SLOWEST LS1 I've EVER been in, but they're out there, just as there are factory freaks that are out there.

In reality, most LS1s are dynoing around 280-290 whp. Not every LS1 out there is dynoing these astronomical numbers. One car ran 12.90s in a magazine, and then all LS1 owners think they ran 12.90s also. Not true. In fact, the FASTEST STOCK LS1 I have actually seen run ran 13.60s @ 106mph. Now, maybe none of the people I've seen at the car could drive, but I find that hard to believe. Most LS1 owners will have you believing they're consistently running 13.10s bone stock. I personally did not find that to be the case through my experiences.

As for the LT1s, I have seen SOME of them put down 275 whp BONE STOCK. No, this isn't the norm, but like I said, as with the LS1s, the freaks are out there. They are very few and far between. My experiences are that most of the LT1s bone stock were putting down about 260 whp.

LT1s are very underrated as far as mod capabilities. They can be made just as quick as anything else, with few parts. It doesn't take a lot to run mid 12s in an LT1, just as it doesn't with an LS1. Admittedly, the LT1's heads do not flow half as well as the LS1 heads, and this is the LT1's major downfall. Port the heads out, add an exhaust and other basic bolt-ons, and you're going to have a nice performing ride.

There's definitely not a 50 whp difference in between the two cars. I can honestly say that I have never been "smoked" by an LS1. In most of my encounters with them, the races were within a half-car of each other.

Wasn't the 98-99 LS1 weaker or something? also the auto you raced would be slower than 6spd of course.

But yeah everyone tells me the LS1 makes 290-310whp stock and runs high 12s or low 13s.

From what I've seen the auto LT1s make around 240whp.

Wasn't the 98-99 LS1 weaker or something? also the auto you raced would be slower than 6spd of course.
    Yes, 98-2000 have the LS1 intake manifold while the 01-02 had the LS6 intake manifold from the Z06. It gave around a 10 RWHP gain. It is a very easy swap and most people do it, including myself. 00-02 also had better exhaust manifolds while yielded about 2-4 more RWHP as well. All in all, a 98-2000 will dyno around 10 less RWHP.

But yeah everyone tells me the LS1 makes 290-310whp stock and runs high 12s or low 13s.
    Similar to how everyone tells me that WRX will run high 13's, low 14's stock. Many have gone mid 14's or above, but that is not the cars fault, that is mostly driver error.
    Last edited by Gloveperson; 07-24-2005 at 08:02 PM.
    04 Silver STi M6

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast