SOHC turbo kills sti? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on SOHC turbo kills sti? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; why'd you waste your money on a sti when it appears you'd be perfectly happy with a srt4 or a ...

why'd you waste your money on a sti when it appears you'd be perfectly happy with a srt4 or a civic ex?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    why'd you waste your money on a sti when it appears you'd be perfectly happy with a srt4 or a civic ex?
    Was wondering the same thing myself. For 30K you could have turboed quite a few POS civics.

One thing I don't see mentioned here is that, in my experience, a turboed civic almost always requires a lot more maintenance and is almost guaranteed to go boom after about a year in boost. They just don't have that strong of internals and in combination with the high compression and high rev ranges....just add boost...only a matter of time before the fireworks start.

All I know for sure is that every turbo civic that I've ran against gets so exasperated when I put 10 car lengths on them out of the hole that they invariably spin up in smoke. Happens like clockwork...followed by "wanna run from a roll"...followed by my "no...I won already, what else is there to prove". If someone really pushes it I'll say "OK..from a roll..but I choose it the road and I'll pick the nastiest curved road I can find...now hang with me boieeeee"....
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by FastXT
    dude just cause we can launch better doesnt mean we have a faster car... i rather have the car that traps 7 and 8mph higher then the car that runs a bit quicker cause of the launch.......cause after the launch the civic is the one pulling harder then hell and all i care about i the feeling i get
    Racing from a roll really is like masturbation. Cause you don't even need someone else to do it. You can just drive along the freeway by yourself and punch the gas. woohoo, I'm racing, look at me!!! You'll still get that feeling you're talking about.

Now, from a stop with someone next to you, that's anticipation, nervousness, competition...i.e., a race.

Not sure about you, but I wouldn't want a fast car unless I lived in Germany anyways. A quick car is the way to go in the US. With now speed limit and buttery smooth pavement, sure'd I'd take a Supra and go wild on the autobahn, but around town here?? Nah, no thanks. Have you seen the construction on I94 in Milwaukee?? You want to go through that at 120mph? I'd rather have fun getting up to speed quickly, myself.
    -ORW

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I'll get under there this weekend and see if I can loosen things up and maybe shoot some lube juice up in there.

Oh sht, please don't sig that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadWagon
    Racing from a roll really is like masturbation. Cause you don't even need someone else to do it. You can just drive along the freeway by yourself and punch the gas. woohoo, I'm racing, look at me!!! You'll still get that feeling you're talking about.

Now, from a stop with someone next to you, that's anticipation, nervousness, competition...i.e., a race.

Not sure about you, but I wouldn't want a fast car unless I lived in Germany anyways. A quick car is the way to go in the US. With now speed limit and buttery smooth pavement, sure'd I'd take a Supra and go wild on the autobahn, but around town here?? Nah, no thanks. Have you seen the construction on I94 in Milwaukee?? You want to go through that at 120mph? I'd rather have fun getting up to speed quickly, myself.
    Having driven in the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Australia, Brazil, and Argentina, I can attest to the fact that what we like over here is torque baby....not top end but that raw grunt of power out of the hole. Why do you think the 0-60 testing was propagated from the US...because that is where we want to feel our power.

What this actually attests to is the over the top amount of stoplights, stopsigns, and traffic jams we have. I can only wish that we could all learn to drive like they do in the UK or Germany, and would consider it a miracle if the round-a-bout was not only widely used here but that all US drivers could actually use them without panicing (since I've seen them here and there but US drivers don't have clue how to drive in them)
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...8&page=3&pp=20

Here is a link to a sohc 11 second hatch. My buddy has built a civic a lot like this but with a larger turbo and is looking to put down hp numbers in the 400s without nitrous on the dyno sometime this week. keep in mind this is sohc.
    Last edited by rsracer2005; 07-28-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234