Subaru WRX Forum banner

SOHC turbo kills sti?

6K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  rsracer2005 
#1 ·
#2 ·
racing from a roll is gay as hell. they dont race from a roll at the dragstrip do they? its just what frontwheel drive cars "made up" to try to make it seem like there car is even with a car that is faster. tell them to shut up. and put there hazards on and " shut down" :rotfl:

#3 ·
drmowner said:
Umm just wanted to know if any of you sti owners out thre have been beaten by sohc turbo civics like this guy says http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=17294
im not an sti guy, definately not into honda's, i give them one thing and only one thing. but i would say at 9 psi he could run a 13 on good tires and knowing how to drive. considering a turbo hatch on 9 psi could do low 12's

#6 · (Edited)
Anything is possible...

like 3 years ago in my area there was an EG hatch (Turbo SOHC VTEC) that went 12.6's without nitrous. I'm pretty sure he was using a T3/T4, but either way he owned most anything he lined up with... when he was running slicks.

The guy in that post isnt using the dinky t28 that comes with the edelbrock kit:
Garrett T3 .42/.48 - 9psi
<-- from his sig. My guess is he's pushing more than 175whp, and that starts making a power to weight ratio that surpasses the STi's.

I am a fan of VTEC though... if I didn't have my WRX I'd have an all motor B-series honda without a doubt.

#11 ·
rsracer2005 said:
The really fast ones are ussually just totally built for boost. High compression NA stock motors and forced induction dont really mix.
yeah, i know.... but some people still try it dont they? i consider high comp. 9.0 since ive always had low comp. engines in my little classics i bet i could run 82 oct ,if they made it,in my pontiac. i used to run 86 in it ....

#12 ·
Ok for one thing I used to be a big Honda fan and still am but the reason why I love subarus so much is the simple factor of mass and really good power gains, imagine if u put the same amount of money in a sti or even a wrx u will be killing everyone also.... put a couple thousand in a civic its good put a couple thousand in a STI it would be better :p

#13 ·
a03subaruwrx said:
.... put a couple thousand in a civic its good put a couple thousand in a STI it would be better :p

True, though the STI costs a bit more to begin with. Put enough into a Civic to match MSRP of an STI and it would absolutely kill it. BUT! ...The STI is safer, would do WAY better on a track or autocrossing, better in bad weather, better in pothole laden streets cause of it's chassis, components would last longer on the track, better interior, etc etc.

#14 ·
my old highly modified 02 (EP) Si would OWN my WRX. I was beat by a greddy turboed 05 (EP) Si that I owned several times in my 02. I didnt have nearly the cash into the Si as I do the WRX (MSRP + Modification wise) Mainly because I worked at Honda and I got a sweet a$$ deal on a K24 but still, you either love honda or you hate them, but you got to respect them. The second you dont the riceist one will own you.

#15 ·
STI with a good tune on a stock turbo can see 300 - 315 whp on a dynojet. Upgrade the turbo on the stock block around 400 with the right turbo. Upgrade the pistons 500. I think you get my point. It seems like everyone has this point to prove that they can beat a stock sti...Don't here to many people bragging about beating modded sti's.

#17 ·
a03subaruwrx said:
Ok for one thing I used to be a big Honda fan and still am but the reason why I love subarus so much is the simple factor of mass and really good power gains, imagine if u put the same amount of money in a sti or even a wrx u will be killing everyone also.... put a couple thousand in a civic its good put a couple thousand in a STI it would be better :p
I find that statement dumb. Brand new STi- $34thou around. A used 92 Civic bubble- under $2,000.

You can't compare the 2. You're obviously going to have to do more to the civic to get it where the STi is even at. Then after you do that and the STi is still stock you are going to have to put more money into the civic to surpass it. Even surpassing the STi, how reliable is the civic going to be after that? When the STi comes stock at that much power.

When comparing two cars, that aren't even in the same league to begin with, and say well if you put 3 grand into the STi and 3 grand into the civic, of course the STi is going to be on top.

#18 ·
interesting thread..i'm pretty new to the subie scene but i've noticed people put down hondas ALOT. As someone said earlier, you may not like them but you've got to respect them! I'm the owner of a brand new 05 wrx (just broken in) who works at a honda dealership. One of my coworkers has a boosted SOHC civic..i told him about this thread so we decided to do a little research. Out of 3 runs from a dig, my stock wrx won 2x...the main difference being the torque of the AWD. He's not really a drag guy, so his launching technique isn't down pat. With the right driver I'm sure his car could surprise a few stock STI's..any one else out there run against SOHC's at all?

#19 ·
Eh, who cares if a Civic beat the STi from a roll? Put them both on a twisty race track and the Civic will spin it's fronts searching for traction out of a corner while the STi (and WRX for that matter) put the power down through all 4 and leave the Civic behind.

Turbo Civic's are interesting, but overall can not compare to the factory goodness of an STi or EVO.

#20 · (Edited)
merlot said:
Eh, who cares if a Civic beat the STi from a roll? Put them both on a twisty race track and the Civic will spin it's fronts searching for traction out of a corner while the STi (and WRX for that matter) put the power down through all 4 and leave the Civic behind.
exactly what kept happening to my buddies civic..wheel spin like a mf.
the only reason he even took 1 out of the three pulls is because i launched like crap.. and i still almost beat him.

judging from a roll is worthless.

#21 ·
i got raped by a civic hatch the other day...early 90's. we were racing from a roll, it wasnt even a planned race or anything, but he instantly pulled 3 cars on me, and then it stayed there till we shut down around 80. i didnt hear a turbo, so my guess its a N/A car.

my friend has a N/A civic hatch that runs stis all the time. those ****s should not be ****ed with

#22 ·
this is the same argument as always. If you have something and do work to it, it's going to be faster. You can make a geo metro an 8 second car.

Civics with work are weird, some are fast and some are slow. But the fact of the matter is if you are rolling around in a stock STI you aren't unbeatable. Someone with a sleaved D16, headwork, and a T3/T4, and an exhaust will smoke your ass usually from a roll. But even from a dig if you win at the line He's going to have a higher trap and be gaining on you. It's easy math, 2000 lb car with 250whp is going to beat the crap out of a 3200lb car with 250whp.

A guy I know has a 92-95 coupe with an LS engine, and a streight T4 setup. from a 1st gear roll we were side by side till the top of third, then I got owned by 10 car lengths when I went into 4th. This car has about 5 or 6 grand total into it. Honda's have really good top end and we pretty much don't unless we have work. So if you get smoked by some guy in a honda, it's not your fault some of them are fast and deserve some credit.

#23 ·
greysave said:
STI with a good tune on a stock turbo can see 300 - 315 whp on a dynojet. Upgrade the turbo on the stock block around 400 with the right turbo. Upgrade the pistons 500. I think you get my point. It seems like everyone has this point to prove that they can beat a stock sti...Don't here to many people bragging about beating modded sti's.
I'd like to see that dyno of a stock STi with just a "good tune" putting 300 AWHP down. Not to rain on your parade, but it will also take at least a TBE. A simple good tune isn't going to get you 50-60 HP which is what would be needed to get 300 to the wheels on an STi. Just wanted to be clear..thanks for the space ;)

#24 ·
YBNormal07 said:
I'd like to see that dyno of a stock STi with just a "good tune" putting 300 AWHP down. Not to rain on your parade, but it will also take at least a TBE. A simple good tune isn't going to get you 50-60 HP which is what would be needed to get 300 to the wheels on an STi. Just wanted to be clear..thanks for the space ;)
Pretty sure he didn't mean out of the lot and have someone tune it. If you read his whole statement, he goes on about upgrading the turbo etc. He obviously means everything done to the engine but no internal upgrades. I didn't know this was honda-tech over here where you take everything someone says so seriously.

I'm pretty sure a stock STi can put down around 235awhp when they are stock. You would need more then 60whp to get to 300, if you want to get technical.

#26 ·
JDMDC2 said:
Pretty sure he didn't mean out of the lot and have someone tune it. If you read his whole statement, he goes on about upgrading the turbo etc. He obviously means everything done to the engine but no internal upgrades. I didn't know this was honda-tech over here where you take everything someone says so seriously.

I'm pretty sure a stock STi can put down around 235awhp when they are stock. You would need more then 60whp to get to 300, if you want to get technical.
You are right..this isn't honda-tech over here. We actually have torque :rotfl: Read it again. My statement stands. If you you want to get technical, I've got my own dyno's that refute your statement (and his if you really, really want to get technical). It's not meant as a put down, just clarification as too often "rumour" turns into "fact"...much like at honda-tech. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.