Winner?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Winner? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ive been reading alot lately about a race between a GTO and WRX STI. so who would win WRXSTI vs ...

Winner?

Ive been reading alot lately about a race between a GTO and WRX STI. so who would win WRXSTI vs 04 GTO??? and then WRXSTI 05 GTO??? would the manual WRX compete wit a 04 GTO??? thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As far as the 05' models go, according to motor trend its has the GTO listed 13.3 @ 107.5 with a 5.0 0-60. And the STi as 13.3 @ 100.1 with a 4.7 0-60. I havent ever raced one but these numbers indicate the GTO would win from a roll and a stop would be close race through the quarter, but with the GTO pulling. However, Im not sure what its like in your area, but I've noticed here you'd have a hard time finding a stock STi that will race, while GTO's on the other hand its just the opposite.

the 04 GTO would be a drivers race from a roll, and would loose pretty bad to a well driven STI from a stop. The 05 is a beast though, from a roll you'd deffinatly have to modded in the STi to take it, from a stop its probably a pretty close race. Both cars run low 13's according to most mags, and people have hit high 12's in both stock, but the GTO is just a brute and traps a bit higher, giving it the benifit from a roll, not to mention no turbo lag either which in most cases would give it a little boost.

However, if your asking this because you thinking of buying one or the other, I'd drive both, and also consider the whole picture. STi will probably be a better every day car, more doors, a little more back-seat room, more trunk space (the 04 GTO I worked on had this huge chassis brace that took up like 40-50% of what you would think the trunk would be, I assume the 05 is the same), not to mention AWD. Traction control is ok, but you cant really compare it to AWD in bad weather.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by NewCar20
    Ive been reading alot lately about a race between a GTO and WRX STI. so who would win WRXSTI vs 04 GTO??? and then WRXSTI 05 GTO??? would the manual WRX compete wit a 04 GTO??? thx.
    Also consider where you live (not in your sig) since NA cars lose proportionately more power in higher elevations than do FI cars.
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, start.

05 gto's are just beasts. I love the car, but I couldn't live with the tiny trunk space. When I bought my evo I left that morning with intentions of driving home with a new 04 gto. Two large doors and the tiny trunk were the only two turnoffs for me.

i own

a 04 GTO now but i am almost %100 precent sure gettin rid of it. If i buy a manual WRX how much would it cost to mod it to be albe to compete wit a 04 GTO??

If you want a WRX to compete with the 04 GTO, a cobb stage 2 should be able to run (1/4 mile wise) with a stock 04 GTO, and that will set you back about $1500. If you want to hold one off from a roll you'll probably need a slightly larger turbo, VF30-34 would get you there as long as your ultimate power goals arent tooo lofty. you can get around 300whp, which is good for mid 12's@105+mph in a well driven WRX. You could probably get this setup for around $3500-4000 (not including installation, so if you cant do it yourself, give yourself a few hundred dollers for that) depending on where you get your parts and what you go with in addition to the turbo (like an aftermarket intercooler)
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 07-18-2005 at 01:18 PM.

im jst startin to learn bout

stages. so if i get the stage 2 cobb i will be able to compete wit a GTO??? i have also been reading about the WRX having a weak tranny or does that not have anyting to do wit stages? everyones replys on this topic have been helpful so far, please keep sending them. thx.

Quote Originally Posted by NewCar20
    stages. so if i get the stage 2 cobb i will be able to compete wit a GTO??? i have also been reading about the WRX having a weak tranny or does that not have anyting to do wit stages? everyones replys on this topic have been helpful so far, please keep sending them. thx.
    Well I have a Cobb Stage 2.5 right now, which should be around 270whp(100 more whp than an average stock wrx) according to cobb. I have about 62,0000 miles on the car so far with around 10k (installed begining of april...yes I drive alot) on the 2.5 setup with no problems so far. I am still on the original clutch and the tranny is all stock except for a short shifter.

Before the 2.5 I spent almost a year at cobb's stage 2 and logged around 20k miles, through this year I was living in NJ, so it was constantly submitted to stop and go traffic and long (300+miles without stopping) drives 4 or 5 times to and from home in that year.

Before the stage 2 I ran a 3" Turbo-back exhaust for about 20k miles. So far I havent had a single problem with the car that I havent caused and fixed, usually simple things (adjusting my BOV, or when I did the turbo swap I ripped an o-ring and leaked fuel for a day). I have a 2004 by the way, and from what I know the gears were widened to near STi-RA spec in the late 03-early 04's, with a further revision for the late 04 (double synchros on first I think), so the tranny has come a way since the horror storys of the 02's you hear so much about.

I have also been running a completely atmospheric BOV since before the turbo-back, and as long as I keep it adjusted properly (the spring has seemed to gradualy loose tension, so I have had to adjust it now and then) it has given me no problems with drivability or stalling. Hope this helps you out, I love my WRX, and of the 10+ cars that I have owned in my short 6 years driving it is by far my favorite in almost all respects, and my past cars included an 02 RSX-S, 99 BMW 328is M package, and a number of other sporty cars including camaros and mustangs, so its had some competition.

My only caution with the wrx is that I do tend to drive it a bit softer than my past 2wd cars. This I'm sure explains some of my success with reliability, I also service my car regularly as per the dealer instructions and change my oil every 3k miles, and alot of my mileage is highway miles (I commuted 70miles a day for the first year). However I've probably had close to 40-50 trips down the the 1/4 mile track with it in the 2 years that I've owned her, and I my last trip to the track I pulled reletively consistent 1.8 60's with one 1.7, and I do like to play with willing cars on empty streets late at night too...so its deffinatly had a fare share of 4k+ Rpm launches.

Hope this helps in your decision
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 07-18-2005 at 06:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.