Stage 4 WRX vs STi and M3
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stage 4 WRX vs STi and M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; We were going down to the local strip, my VF22'ed WRX, turbo back'ed STi and a stock WRX when we ...

Stage 4 WRX vs STi and M3

We were going down to the local strip, my VF22'ed WRX, turbo back'ed STi and a stock WRX when we saw a nice new M3. I got up next to him and waited for him to down shift and we both took off...I got out on him by maybe a car and then he reeled me in and then I started pulling again slightly and ended up about half a car in front of him, I had two people in my car and someone said I short shifter my 3rd to 4th shift so maybe I had a little more left in the run especially with the extra weight in my car and my setup not being tuned (running 16psi).

On the way back I tried out my friends turbo back/utec'ed STi from a roll, the gear ratios are what saved me...in the beginning he jumped out on me a little but then my longer gears kept me in my power band a little longer while he had to shift, I ended up about a half of a car in front of him too....can't wait to turn up the boost a little and get a real tune.

Nothing too exciting but it gave me a new found interest in HP for the WRX as I've been looking to get more in auto-x lately...maybe I'll port my exhaust manifold or get an am header...maybe a pulley or something, another little 5-10 hp mod would be fine
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good kill. The m3's are nice cars though.

Yeah definitely, thats the bench mark for my WRX upgrades...M3 is a beautiful all around package..if I could handle/brake/accelerate like one in my 4 cylinder sedan I would be more then happy.
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

you have a stage 4 wrx with no tune and could hang with a stage 2 sti? That is impressive.

good races.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

Nice Ki....

Quote Originally Posted by Padge
    you have a stage 4 wrx with no tune and could hang with a stage 2 sti? That is impressive.

good races.
    I woulnt consider it a stage 2 Sti till he had some sort of EM especially since he's probably pig rich without it. With an untuned VF22 he should be putting down about the same or a little bit more whp than the STi (265-270area) and as he said the gearing helped (especially if the STi shifts slower), not to mention the extra weight in the STi.

I had a similer run with an M3 in my Cobb 2.5 (VF34) and from a 3rd gear roll (started almost exactly at 65mph) from what I could tell I pulled about 1 1/2 - 2 cars on him up to 120, so if your friend is probably right about the short shifting (I thought it would be much closer, but looking around on the net after we raced I found traps for those everywhere from 100mph to 105, so who knows, he must have been closer to the 100). Those things are beasts though, and like you said they have the whole package. Someday one will be in my garage, with two big snails under the hood too if I have my way Nice runs BTW, get her tunned and then really lay some smack down.....
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

I wouldn't bother with a pulley, save that money and get something else.

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    I woulnt consider it a stage 2 Sti till he had some sort of EM especially since he's probably pig rich without it. With an untuned VF22 he should be putting down about the same or a little bit more whp than the STi (265-270area) and as he said the gearing helped (especially if the STi shifts slower), not to mention the extra weight in the STi.
    I think he said it did have some engine management (UTEC)...

Quote Originally Posted by SERacing
    On the way back I tried out my friends turbo back/utec'ed STi from a roll, ...
    Maybe he isn't tuned?
    2005 Aspen White STi

Hes not and neither am I...we're both running the maps for our selected mods off the Turbo XS site.
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.