rsx type s vs. wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on rsx type s vs. wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; im well aware that the wrx outperforms a type s, but i want to know by how much. i checked ...

rsx type s vs. wrx

im well aware that the wrx outperforms a type s, but i want to know by how much. i checked the 0-60 times and quarter mile for both cars, and theyre not that different. however the wrx has a lot more torque, so it doesnt make sense to me why the numbers wouldnt be farther apart. how much better of a performer is the wrx?

thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stock there isnt that much of a difference in performance. The RSX is a little better at highway speeds, and the wrx is a lot better in the low end. most of the difference in 1/4 mile between the 2 is awd vs fwd, and they both trap around the same speeds with equal drivers (I know as I've owned both and had both to the drag track stock, 15.2@93 in the RSX, and 14.4@94 in the WRX, both mid-summer and both after about 3-4 months experience driving each car). However I also think most people would agree that starting with a turbo makes the wrx alot more mod friendly, and the awd also gives the potential for alot better street performance with higher hp.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Stock there isnt that much of a difference in performance. The RSX is a little better at highway speeds, and the wrx is a lot better in the low end. most of the difference in 1/4 mile between the 2 is awd vs fwd, and they both trap around the same speeds with equal drivers (I know as I've owned both and had both to the drag track stock, 15.2@93 in the RSX, and 14.4@94 in the WRX, both mid-summer and both after about 3-4 months experience driving each car). However I also think most people would agree that starting with a turbo makes the wrx alot more mod friendly, and the awd also gives the potential for alot better street performance with higher hp.

bases on those #'s the WRX must have felt a great deal faster ....
    2003 ASPEN WHITE WRX
    ------------------------
    Stage 2 !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF
    im well aware that the wrx outperforms a type s, but i want to know by how much. i checked the 0-60 times and quarter mile for both cars, and theyre not that different. however the wrx has a lot more torque, so it doesnt make sense to me why the numbers wouldnt be farther apart. how much better of a performer is the wrx?

thanks guys
    well the numbers actually arn't that close...If your talking about stock the WRX is a little less then a full second faster in the 1/4 with equal drivers and 0 - 60 a decent amount faster. However yes the acura is lacking in the torque and HP department. However one thing the acura has going for it is it's weigh (about 300lbs lighter then a wrx). That weight advantage helps to make up for their unimpressive engine, but they are still pretty far behind perfromance wise against a wrx.
    2002 Black Mustang GT 5spd
    Magnaflow Catback
    Short throw and X-pipe soon...

Both are great cars! I love the rsx-s, really like the new ones. I think they come with 210hp now. I think if you are looking for a car that you can dump alot of money into, and make fast? Get the wrx. AWD+turbo stock.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

check down there.
    v
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Quote Originally Posted by wrxhunter
    bases on those #'s the WRX must have felt a great deal faster ....
    Only from a dead stop, or low speeds. The AWD launch is a BIG difference in the 1/4 mile times. If you race both cars from a roll they are very very close, with the hand going to the RSX-S as speeds climb. The WRX felt like a slug at high speeds untill I ditched the cats, but the RSX-S was 100x more fun once you're rolling, at least in my oppinion. Turbos are nice for going fast, but I think the lag makes them alot less fun once your moving, and the snap you got when you downshifted into VTEC was alot of fun in the RSX. The instant power actually made it 'feel' faster from a roll, even though on paper the WRX is faster.

The trap speed is always a better indication of how hard the car will 'pull' especially topend wise. so as far as feeling a great deal faster, it deffinatly didnt.
    Also consider the fact that I only took the RSX to the track once (although I only went once in the wrx when it was stock) and I was running the stock tires and at stock tire pressure (i didnt have a guage). With good rubber a stock RSX-S will deffinatly hit in the high 14's with a good driver, so not as much of a difference. Having grown up on RWD camaros, a mustang, and a supra before having the RSX, i wasnt the best with the fwd launches.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

A couple year ago there was a lot of discussion about which car was faster. If you are planning on keeping both cars stock its a tuff choice. The WRX has awd and gets off the line faster (thus faster 1/4 mile times). The Type S has a little better top end speed (over 1xx)mph.

What makes a WRX (a better choice) is when you start modding. Dollar for dollar the WRX is much easier and cheaper to make fast. All you have to do is put a boost controller ($129.00) and it will easily run 13s. Put a full exhaust and boost controller on a WRX and you can pull mid 13s. Stage 2 - low 13s. I ran consistant 13.3s in my 02 WRX with a stage 2 setup.

To pull low to mid 13s in a Type S you will need to spend some serious cash $$$.

when I did a 2nd gear pull with the rsx-s, it felt slower than my wrx's 2nd gear pull. Could be because of the na vs turbo, but even when it was on vtec it still seemed slower. Didn't try 3rd or higher because I was getting yelled at for doing a 2nd gear pull

210 crank hp rsx-s > 227 crank hp wrx

that translates to =

190whp(approx)hp rsx-s > 178awhp wrx

That's just with the numbers, I'm sure the wrx would get pulled on in a high speed highway run, the same way I'm sure an rsx-s would get pulled on from a dead stop by a good wrx driver.

The rsx-s is easier to go fast in during a highway race because you just need to be competent enough to shift gears and press the gas...

both are great cars. The wrx is a bit more than half a second faster in the 1/4mile but they both trap about the same and the rsx-s has better topend pull. I have driven an rsx-s stock and with intake/exhaust and obviously I own a subbie. My take on the situation is that the rsx-s is much more of a "easy going" daily driver. The wrx has rattles, rolls on stock suspension, and topend is horrible. The rsx-s, although slower rev's real quick, has nice topend, handles better, and has a far better build/interior. Overall, if you dont need the 4doors, awd, modability as a necessity, I would go with the the rsx-s if both cars are intended to be stock. I chose the wrx because I wanted to mod and really wanted awd for the chicago winters.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV

that translates to =

That's just with the numbers, I'm sure the wrx would get pulled on in a high speed highway run, the same way I'm sure an rsx-s would get pulled on from a dead stop by a good wrx driver.

The rsx-s is easier to go fast in during a highway race because you just need to be competent enough to shift gears and press the gas...
    Maybe I'm too much of a newbie, but how does a 17 hp advantage to the WRX at the crank equate to a 12 hp loss to the wheels vs. the RSX? Am I dyslexic?

that translates to =

Forgive my ignorance, but how does a 17 hp ADVANTAGE to the WRX at the crank equate to a 12 hp LOSS to the rsx at the wheels? Is it the AWD vs FWD?

that translates to =

The WRX takes better to mods than the RSX does for $1500 the WRX will run low to mid 13s. The RSX would need to FI of some kind to run those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beauty
    Forgive my ignorance, but how does a 17 hp ADVANTAGE to the WRX at the crank equate to a 12 hp LOSS to the rsx at the wheels? Is it the AWD vs FWD?
    yes, AWD loses around 30% to the wheels while 2WD loses around 15%
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast