'05 STi vs '04 LS1 GTO - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on '05 STi vs '04 LS1 GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by BrianH wow, I'm amazed those gto's can really get up and go. i got beat by one ...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    wow, I'm amazed those gto's can really get up and go.
    i got beat by one with 4 chubby passengers ... i had a TBE and uppipe. they still loved the sound of the suby 4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I always thought torque managment was made to save the life of the automatic transmission so it can run safely to 100,000 miles? Is that the reason why I see many 04 autos running like 14 flat?
    04 Silver STi M6

I wanted to add that a guy over at LS1GTO ( in an 05 GTO) made 397 rwhp with a Lingenfelter intake, Headers, Magna flow catback and a tune.
    So basically intake, exhaust, and a tune, and he's pushing 400 rwhp. That's sick.
    I told him he needs to get to the track to see what it will run. He said he picked up
    18 rwhp from just the catback exhaust by itself.

I was going to keep the my rear section exhaust on my GTO because I love the way it sounds with the headers. The original thinking was there wasn't much hp to be gained in a catback. But now I'm rethinking that. I may be losing a lot of power with the stock rear section. It has a lot of crimped and smashed sections that look real restrictive.

Damn, he picked up that much from just a catback! did he already have the rest of the car set up and then put on the catback? or did he put it on last and then got the HP increase? I am getting a catback any day in the mail now for my Cobra, I know it will sound sick (SLP Loudmouth) but I am hoping for an increas in power and that 18 rwhp gain would be nice. That would put me over 390 with just intake and cat back.
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick:6:STi
    Damn, he picked up that much from just a catback! did he already have the rest of the car set up and then put on the catback? or did he put it on last and then got the HP increase? I am getting a catback any day in the mail now for my Cobra, I know it will sound sick (SLP Loudmouth) but I am hoping for an increas in power and that 18 rwhp gain would be nice. That would put me over 390 with just intake and cat back.
    That's what he is saying. Yea he already had headers, intake and tuning. Then they added the catback and tuned it again. He picked up an additional 18 rwhp. You should check out the thread over at www.ls1gto.com in the Dyno and tuning forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    I always thought torque managment was made to save the life of the automatic transmission so it can run safely to 100,000 miles? Is that the reason why I see many 04 autos running like 14 flat?

Thats what its there for, saving the tranny by smoothing out the shifts) It's also there to distibute the power more evenly. One thing it definately does is decrease performance.

Torque Management is found on the A4 automatics and M6 GTOs.
    It was first believed to only be on Automatics but it has been discovered by GM techs and M6 owners that the M6s also have it.
    Torque management pulls timing (called torque management retard) and closes the throttle body blade on shifts (thus reducing power). That's what a GM tech with a GM tech 2 scanner discovered. It does it at certain rpms and during shifts. He mentioned when trying to powershift it really jumps in and cuts power.
    So basically the harder you drive a stock GTO the more the ECU tries to reduce power? GM really loves us.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Thats what its there for, saving the tranny by smoothing out the shifts) It's also there to distibute the power more evenly. One thing it definately does is decrease performance.

Torque Management is found on the A4 automatics and M6 GTOs.
    It was first believed to only be on Automatics but it has been discovered by GM techs and M6 owners that the M6s also have it.
    Torque management pulls timing (called torque management retard) and closes the throttle body blade on shifts (thus reducing power). That's what a GM tech with a GM tech 2 scanner discovered. It does it at certain rpms and during shifts. He mentioned when trying to powershift it really jumps in and cuts power.
    So basically the harder you drive a stock GTO the more the ECU tries to reduce power? GM really loves us.
    no worse than the 3V motors in stangs. it pulls power when it feels slip in the drivetrain or whatnot....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123