MY WRX vs. Friends 3000GT VR4
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on MY WRX vs. Friends 3000GT VR4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So we had a local car meet at this food joint called PHOTS last night. My friend wrecked his prelude ...

MY WRX vs. Friends 3000GT VR4

So we had a local car meet at this food joint called PHOTS last night. My friend wrecked his prelude a couple weeks ago and just picked up a 93 3000GT VR4... Motor has 75,000 miles on it and both turbos are brand new but they are stock size..SMALL!! Car also has 3" downippes for the turbos and i believe some kind of boost controller. He asked me if wanted to run em from a roll at this nice spot everyone likes to run around here cause its always wide open with no cops. I agreed to the run. Each of us had one of our friends in the car to make the weight about even. I'm a fatass but his car weighs like 3700 lbs..Lol So we turn out of PHOTS and started heading toward the 55mph sign.. Thats where everyone always runs.. I started in second gear because we were only doin like 40 before the sign. I believe he was in second gear as well. Keep in mind there was no traffic in front of us so this was perfect. We get to the 55mph sign and hit it!. We were dead even all the way through second gear where i shifted at 65mph... Third gear we were about even as well i might have even pulled a quarter of a car on him from the shift... About top of third his car really started screaming.. As i went into 4th he was still in third and he walked on me a bit.. While in 4th he shifted into 4th finally and i gained a little on him.. Overall by about 120 mph we shut down.. He had about 1 and a half cars on me at the end... I was suprized what my little REX could do against a Twin Turbo 3.0L V6.. However they are verrryyy heave..Same power as a STI but like 600 lbs heavier.. it woulda been really cool from a dig cause both are AWD.. He said he wasnt ready to launch it yet thought and has had no practice.. Very good race though

By the way my car is stock with intake silencer delete,K&N Drop in filter, and Worx Tuning BOV set at 50/50

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

awsome run man...the stealths are quite heavy...if they were lighter they would be a totally different beast
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Well there ya go - he never should have reached 4th gear if he was racing you. The 5spd goes 90 in second and 120+ in third. If he was short shifting, of course it'd be close. With a downpipe and boost controller he should trap at least 103-104 mph which should have handled your car pretty well.

My previous car (in sig) weighed 4070 lbs with driver (I'm 290) and had no trouble from a stop or from a roll -- stock turbos, stock cat-back, stock fuel pump, etc. I loved when people underestimated my "too heavy" car. I'll bet this guy was laughing too till the light turned green. Eyeball the timeslip too - he wasn't catching up on the top end either, despite all the myths to the contrary.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M
    Well there ya go - he never should have reached 4th gear if he was racing you. The 5spd goes 90 in second and 120+ in third. If he was short shifting, of course it'd be close. With a downpipe and boost controller he should trap at least 103-104 mph which should have handled your car pretty well.

My previous car (in sig) weighed 4070 lbs with driver (I'm 290) and had no trouble from a stop or from a roll -- stock turbos, stock cat-back, stock fuel pump, etc. I loved when people underestimated my "too heavy" car. I'll bet this guy was laughing too till the light turned green. Eyeball the timeslip too - he wasn't catching up on the top end either, despite all the myths to the contrary.
    You have to realize that these cars are 12 years old now. I saw a VR-4 at the drags a few weeks ago with full exhaust and boost controller and he couldn't even break 14.5, so you never know with these older cars how they are running.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Nice race. You gotta love it when you stay even with a twin turbo. PHOTS huh? I know that place very well. My buddy Gary owns it. I just moved back up here not too long ago. I didn't know they had car shows on sundays there. I have heard about the one at the pier in Charlotte though on sundays. You ever go to the Log Cabin on wednesday nights? Good times, great people & fast cars. Isn't summer great?

Nice runs man. Are you by anychance talking about the P-Hots in Perrinton(spelling) NY? I'm not too far away and would deffintaly show if there was a regularly scheduled car meeting up there.....The only times I hear about anything in that area its usually just a couple buddy's hangin out.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    You have to realize that these cars are 12 years old now. I saw a VR-4 at the drags a few weeks ago with full exhaust and boost controller and he couldn't even break 14.5, so you never know with these older cars how they are running.
    yah i know gary!! Ive known him for a long time.. His S4 is soooo hot.. Yah me and my crew always meet up at phots.. If you come on down any friday or saturday night youll probably see me there.. Look for the black, stock looking wrx.. If u see me come on up and say hi..
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Nice runs man. Are you by anychance talking about the P-Hots in Perrinton(spelling) NY? I'm not too far away and would deffintaly show if there was a regularly scheduled car meeting up there.....The only times I hear about anything in that area its usually just a couple buddy's hangin out.
    No im talking about Penfield Hots but however is not very far from Perinton.. I just locally meet up with a few ppl there friday and saturday nights.. Buncha cars usually come through and hang out and sometimes people are willing to run.. Good times.. You should definately stop up sometime.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    Oh, I believe ya 100%. I've seen plenty of 'em wonder why their fancy "new" car won't even get near its stock rated times.

And the 91 models are approaching 15 years old (assuming they were available mid-late 90). That's gonna need some TLC for sure before it can make max power.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by str8uplethal25
    yah i know gary!! Ive known him for a long time.. His S4 is soooo hot.. Yah me and my crew always meet up at phots.. If you come on down any friday or saturday night youll probably see me there.. Look for the black, stock looking wrx.. If u see me come on up and say hi..
    his S4=hott indeed. It's so amazing the cars he's always had over the past 10 years. If I see you there sometime, I'll say what up. I don't know anyone else around who has a WRX. I've just seen some people driving them. It would be cool to get to know some Subie peeps around NY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.