Who Mocked a raggedy black Taurus SHO? July 9th, Irving, TX, 7:20pm, Hwy183 - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Who Mocked a raggedy black Taurus SHO? July 9th, Irving, TX, 7:20pm, Hwy183 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by dviousboxer isn' t the wrx a 4 door grocery getter also? i know i consider my evo ...

Quote Originally Posted by dviousboxer
    isn' t the wrx a 4 door grocery getter also? i know i consider my evo as one
    Sure, I suppose. But the WRX is looked upon as a sports car, and expected to be quick. A Taurus really is a family car; the quintessential family car, really. No Taurus is expected to be quick, which is why it's a great sleeper, and you don't get nearly as many tickets. LOL Cops aren't out looking for Tauruses (or Tauri, to be correct) flying by at 145mph. hehehehe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Artesia
    I have a black '91 SHO Plus...
    What is the Plus? I've never heard of that. Was it a perfomance package or apperance package?
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by timber
    What is the Plus? I've never heard of that. Was it a perfomance package or apperance package?
    I'm fairly sure the Plus model only came in '91. The Plus model is basically a 1st gen SHO body with 2nd gen motor, wiring harness, rod shifter & center console. It has a plastic or fiberglass hood which is lighter than the stock metal hood. It has a flat rear spoiler on the trunk instead of no spoiler at all. It has full black leather interior, sunroof and power everything. The Plus model is what all of the 1st generation SHO owners want. Great car. I like the 2nd gen body, though.

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like you have a pretty rare car there. Do you know if Ford offered it for a full model year? Ford is kinda wierd about offering half year models, especially in the Mustang line.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

I honestly couldn't tell you. I never looked into exactly when the Plus model was available. It's very possible it was only available after July of '91. I'll have to ask someone about that. Don't know how many were produced either. I'm fairly sure it's the most rare SHO model, though.

I Support ClubWRX
    So you're saying you have a 91 SHO with a 3.2 engine in it? Any pics?

I Support ClubWRX
    I would like to see some pics also, please.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

The only SHO's with the 3.2L engine were Auto trannies. They enlarged the displacement to make up for the tranny's power sapping and gearing difference. Gave it more torque for the converter to suck up. Anyone who has a SHO with 3.2L and 5-speed did a conversion.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbaj
    The only SHO's with the 3.2L engine were Auto trannies. They enlarged the displacement to make up for the tranny's power sapping and gearing difference. Gave it more torque for the converter to suck up. Anyone who has a SHO with 3.2L and 5-speed did a conversion.
    Exactly. I'm not sure what motor he is speaking of. The 89-95 3.0 Yamaha motors were all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Exactly. I'm not sure what motor he is speaking of. The 89-95 3.0 Yamaha motors were all the same.
    Correct. I may have chosen my words badly. If I said motor, I meant wiring harness. The wiring harness and some other things used in the gen 2 ('92 model) were used on the plus model gen 1 after August of '91, I believe. This setup is what came with my car, stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    So you're saying you have a 91 SHO with a 3.2 engine in it? Any pics?
    Oh, I'm sorry! I've confused you guys. When I said '92 motor, I ment wiring harness. The '91 plus model came with all of the '92 items around the engine like the sensors and electronics and wiring harness. The '91 plus model also got the '92 rod shifter and console. Same 3.0L engine. The 3.2L with automatic tranny didn't come till '93.

I have ridden in one of the conversions from automatic to standard. It's not a bad conversion, but I gained more torque than the 3.2L motor just by putting 2" true dual exhaust on my car. That's why I didn't care to do the conversion. Besides, the conversion requires tearing out the car's entire wiring harness (bumper to bumper) and replacing it with a manutal tranny wiring harness! Isn't that crazy? You've got to pull up the floor panelling, etc. It's a ridiculous amount of work...

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, I'm sorry! I've confused you guys. When I said '92 motor, I ment wiring harness. The '91 plus model came with all of the '92 items around the engine like the sensors and electronics and wiring harness. The '91 plus model also got the '92 rod shifter and console. Same 3.0L engine. The 3.2L with automatic tranny didn't come till '93.

I have ridden in one of the conversions from automatic to standard. It's not a bad conversion, but I gained more torque than the 3.2L motor just by putting 2" true dual exhaust on my car. That's why I didn't care to do the conversion. Besides, the conversion requires tearing out the car's entire wiring harness (bumper to bumper) and replacing it with a manutal tranny wiring harness! Isn't that crazy? You've got to pull up the floor panelling, etc. It's a ridiculous amount of work...
    You have to pull out the entire wiring harness to do a tranny swap? Surely there must be some sort of work-around...
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

I Support ClubWRX

The only real difference in the wiring and ECU was the OBD0 to OBD1 change. Yes, the shifting was improved. From 89 to 5/13/91 they were cable shift. From 5/14/91 to 1995 they were rod shift.

Quote Originally Posted by timber
    You have to pull out the entire wiring harness to do a tranny swap? Surely there must be some sort of work-around...
    I wish there were an easier way, but there isn't to my knowledge or the SHO Club's knowledge. Apparently, the sensors on the 3.2L engine are very different. For instance, there's an EGR setup on the 3.2L engine, but there isn't on the 3.0L. This makes for a whole world of problems when you're trying to swap this stuff out. Easier to just bore out a 3.0 to a 3.2, which is what most people do.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wish there were an easier way, but there isn't to my knowledge or the SHO Club's knowledge. Apparently, the sensors on the 3.2L engine are very different. For instance, there's an EGR setup on the 3.2L engine, but there isn't on the 3.0L. This makes for a whole world of problems when you're trying to swap this stuff out. Easier to just bore out a 3.0 to a 3.2, which is what most people do.
    Okay- your'e talking about a motor swap- the 3.0 to a 3.2. I was thinking you were just swapping out trannies- my bad..
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.