Turboed EP Hatch VS. 05 WRX

This is a discussion on Turboed EP Hatch VS. 05 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well coming from an 02 EP Si that was extremely modified I thought I had this one in the bag! ...

I Support ClubWRX

Turboed EP Hatch VS. 05 WRX

Well coming from an 02 EP Si that was extremely modified I thought I had this one in the bag!

We were cruising along and he asked me to hear a wierd noise from his turbo so I did so and told him what I thought then he asked if I thought his car was as fast as mine so I told him that I did.

Cruisin down the road at about 30 both in 2nd gear he honks his horn like a ready set go and on the third honk we go, well I didnt really mash the gas because we had gone a little earlier and I fukd up the launch badly and still stayed with him. So we both shift into third and he jumps me half a car so I mash the gas and I couldnt close the front bumper gap he had on me!!!!!!!!!
    Si Mods:
    Greddy turbo kit 7psi
    stock downpipe with stock cat
    2.5" cat back no resonator cheap garbage carbon fiber look muffler
    stock wheels tires suspension

My Mods:
    HKS Downpipe
    HKS Hi Power Cat Back
    HKS SSQV
    AEM SRI
    Tanabe GF210 Springs
    (HKS UpPipe but not yet installed)

I lost by a 1/4 car to a car less powerful then my old car

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX
    Well coming from an 02 EP Si that was extremely modified I thought I had this one in the bag!

We were cruising along and he asked me to hear a wierd noise from his turbo so I did so and told him what I thought then he asked if I thought his car was as fast as mine so I told him that I did.

Cruisin down the road at about 30 both in 2nd gear he honks his horn like a ready set go and on the third honk we go, well I didnt really mash the gas because we had gone a little earlier and I fukd up the launch badly and still stayed with him. So we both shift into third and he jumps me half a car so I mash the gas and I couldnt close the front bumper gap he had on me!!!!!!!!!
    Si Mods:
    Greddy turbo kit 7psi
    stock downpipe with stock cat
    2.5" cat back no resonator cheap garbage carbon fiber look muffler
    stock wheels tires suspension

My Mods:
    HKS Downpipe
    HKS Hi Power Cat Back
    HKS SSQV
    AEM SRI
    Tanabe GF210 Springs
    (HKS UpPipe but not yet installed)

I lost by a 1/4 car to a car less powerful then my old car
    that civic is prolly making close to 200whp if not more, so it has a much better power to weight ratio, the edelbrock kit which pretty much identical to that makes 225whp on an si.. an the BOV is not helping your performance at all... get some EM and take off the BOV and prolly the intake too since no subie tuner tunes maps with intakes, and youll do much better
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Well put blackrex.

You have mods that decrease performance for your car. Take em off now. Get some exhaust parts or at least an AP.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by IHRTWRX
    Well put blackrex.

You have mods that decrease performance for your car. Take em off now. Get some exhaust parts or at least an AP.
    get some exhaust parts??? Did you read I have every exhaust part but header and the Injen Cross Pipe.

I had the BOV and intake before I got the car and I just threw them on since I had them, I figured I would take them off when I get the COBB AP. I knew my old car was fast and it could take his even tho mine was N/A but enough to beat my WRX...Im just dissapointed, and dont worry guys I already put my stock air box back in without the silencer, I have an HKS Drop in, do you think the K&N is better?

nice death... The last time I ran a turbo Civic, it had 380whp.. Surfice to say, I got taken from a roll... I now look at them a little differently these days...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Quote Originally Posted by jigga
    nice death... The last time I ran a turbo Civic, it had 380whp..
    Trek mountain bike (with front AND rear suspension!)
    Zero skateboard

I Support ClubWRX
    Well at least it had more than 300 hp, the one I raced is prolly pushing 250. The thing that bums me out is my 02 ep was faster than his and I traded it in for the WRX!

Well at least it had more than 300 hp, the one I raced is prolly pushing 250. The thing that bums me out is my 02 ep was faster than his and I traded it in for the WRX!
    Yeah but you WRX is still mostly stock. Get some kind of EM and you it will make a HUGE difference. With my utec I can change maps back to stock. I can't even believe the difference from a tuned stg2 map to stock ECU.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    I want to run a vf34 and sti pinks with a walbro pump, should I go with UTEC or can I do that with a cobb ap

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the HKS downpipe pretty much the same as the stock one, but with cats? A.K.A., it isn't a bellmouth design.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the HKS downpipe pretty much the same as the stock one, but with cats? A.K.A., it isn't a bellmouth design.
    Yea, I was thinking the same thing. The HKS is about the worst DP on the market for the WRX, its not really any better than just busting out your stock cats. I would deffinatly ditch the HKS and get a Helix or something with a bellmouth (i have the invidia and its great).

And LPPTundWRX, you can deffinatly run a VF34 with sti pinks using the Cobb accessport, is the Stage 2.5(what I run). And now that the Accesstunner is out, you can do almost as much with the cobb products as you can with any of the other tunners out there for less $$. I also really like the fact that I got the AP for like 500, and then once I'm ready to start tunning I can shell out the 400 for the tunner, rather than having to dish out $1000 all at once just to have EM.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

I want to run a vf34 and sti pinks with a walbro pump, should I go with UTEC or can I do that with a cobb ap
    You can run either with a VF34. A cobb2.5 AP is pretty restrictive though with an off the shelf map, but they are cheap and easy to work with. The Utec, or similar EM will allow you to play a little more and extract more power, but this requires tuning and is more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe
    Although the HKS is not a bellmouth, there is VERY LITTLE evidence supporting the fact that it actually makes a considerable amount less power. The bellmouth would be the "best choice" but the HKS is by no means a bad downpipe. HKS downpipe has proven to make just as much power (give or take 2-4whp) than a standard bellmouth downpipe of the same size. A bellmouth is more necessary if you intend to upgrade your turbo, but on the td04 if makes VERY LITTLE difference, and IMO considering the HKS is so much cheaper than most of the competition there is no reason to bag on it. Considering its nearly $200 less than the others and makes the same power with no fitment issues there is no reason to for people to discard it.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I bought the downpipe for 120 dollars brand new and usually sell them for 140 plus shipping. So it is way cheaper than the INVIDIA. Trust me I love Invidia products I am a distributor for them too, but when the HKS was available for so cheap and I knew it would bolt up to my hks Hi Power without a problem I bought the HKS. Also with stock up pipe and cat back the HKS Does not provide any less of a HP or torque gain than the INVIDIA. That is with the stock up pipe and cat back, also stock turbo. I was going to swap to an Invidia bellmouth and cat back when I installed my up pipe which I still need to do. Thanks for the info guys, some of you are really good help, some people just love to bash on people with info from some other persons mouth.