WRX vs Magnum R/T - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs Magnum R/T within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by skyjock41 OOPS....looks like i did give you the upgraded pontiac.....my bust. (Or would that be "I am ...

Quote Originally Posted by skyjock41
    OOPS....looks like i did give you the upgraded pontiac.....my bust. (Or would that be "I am in a state of bustedness")
    I guess I don't understand what you mean by "upgraded." One of my Sunbirds is a factory V8 model; one of maybe 500 made in '79. The other one is an '80 Formula that's getting hybrid Buick V6 with a turbo and probably a 6-speed trans of some sort. Both are rear wheel drive, unlike anything Cheviac is making today with the exception of the GTO. Neither one has Walmart spinner hubcaps. Both will probably run the wheels off of a Magnum R/T when I finish with them (to bring this back on topic). I used to be a die-hard Pontiac fan, but they haven't made anything worth their heritage for quite a while with the possible exception of the GTO (haven't driven one yet). That's why I'm going Subaru.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ya i smoked one of those new hemi powered chargers on the freeway from 60 to 100 it was bad.... they look like the magnum but a sedan not a wagon.. i too was suprised, i had 3 other people in my car also
    whats a signature?

Quote Originally Posted by hksimprezawrx
    ya i smoked one of those new hemi powered chargers on the freeway from 60 to 100 it was bad.... they look like the magnum but a sedan not a wagon.. i too was suprised, i had 3 other people in my car also
    Sounds about right to me.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    Sounds about right to me.
    how so?

doesnt the Hemi powered dodge charger make 340 HP / 390 Torque ?

Even if your car (charger) is pretty heavy... its still Naturally aspirated and it has a cool 110 hp and 170 ft- lbs of Torque on you... thats a pretty significant advantage... and ESPECIALLY from a roll..

you'd think that the WRX would get smoked pretty bad. The charger definatly moves...
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Good kill....

They aren't all they are cracked up to be. Heavy as hell, handling of the borg cube, and while they do have some decent nuts, it's offset by everything else, like the built by tuperware dash. I was seriously considering one for my wife, but opted or function, comfort and convenience over power and got her a Pacifica instead.

If you have any doubts of the magnum, go drive an STi, then go over and drive a magnum. You'll see where it stands..

I've played with a few of them and haven't met one modded enough to stay with me yet(P&P 34, Helix TMIC, and a few othr goodies). A magnum puts about 260hp to the ground(tq doesn't matter because if you treat your AWD right off the line, and he's not running slicks you still have the advantage), unlike traditional american muscle that is usually under rated, folks have been whining that this pig is over rated. Now the AWD RT magnum is even worse, factor in about 32% driveline loss and add the 4400lbs weight(4200lbs for the RWD version) and what you end up with is a blob of **** with a decent sized storage area. Don't get me wrong, if you're looking for a reasonably powerful wagon to tote your crap around in, the magnum isn't bad. If you are looking for a perfomance mamchine look elsewhere. Same with these folks in midlife crisis with the 300Cs, give it up...it's a nice car but stop trying to act like twinks(sorry had a few bad runins with 300Cs and magnums). the SRT-8 300C is a different story, I've only seen one though, haven't gotten to drive one yet.

Weight to HP(wheel HP)
    4200 / 260 = 16.1lbs per hp Stock Magnum RT 5 speed auto
    4400 / 230 = 19.3 lbs per hp Stock AWD Magnum RT 5 speed auto
    3200 / 230 = 13.9lbs per hp Stock STi 6 speed manual
    2900 / 165 = 17.5lbs per hp Stock WRX sedan 5 speed manual
    3400 / 279 = 12.1lbs per hp 05 Mustang GT Manual(just for reference)
    3100 / 260 = 11.9lbs per hp Me 5 speed RA manual

I have had the recent pleasure of driving an LS2 GTO and that's a whole different ballgame. My buddy put down 345hp and 355lb-ft in his bone stock GTO....
    3700 / 345 = 10.7lbs per hp... STOCK. . But it's a tad pricey for what you get, to me at least.

If you're looking for good price to performance you can't go wrong with a new mustang GT though. They are nice looking, decent interior, and not too bad for performance. One of my buddies put down 279hp and 301lb-ft as his baseline. $6k later(now about the same price as a magnum) he puts down 409hp and 378lb-ft.(headers, exhaust, and Vortech S/C). It's very streetable and 8.3lbs per HP when you get on it speaks volumes....
    an 05 wrx wagon with a few mods and an 06 G35 sedan with none.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by illusion
    Good kill....

They aren't all they are cracked up to be. Heavy as hell, handling of the borg cube, and while they do have some decent nuts, it's offset by everything else, like the built by tuperware dash. I was seriously considering one for my wife, but opted or function, comfort and convenience over power and got her a Pacifica instead.

If you have any doubts of the magnum, go drive an STi, then go over and drive a magnum. You'll see where it stands..

I've played with a few of them and haven't met one modded enough to stay with me yet(P&P 34, Helix TMIC, and a few othr goodies). A magnum puts about 260hp to the ground(tq doesn't matter because if you treat your AWD right off the line, and he's not running slicks you still have the advantage), unlike traditional american muscle that is usually under rated, folks have been whining that this pig is over rated. Now the AWD RT magnum is even worse, factor in about 32% driveline loss and add the 4400lbs weight(4200lbs for the RWD version) and what you end up with is a blob of **** with a decent sized storage area. Don't get me wrong, if you're looking for a reasonably powerful wagon to tote your crap around in, the magnum isn't bad. If you are looking for a perfomance mamchine look elsewhere. Same with these folks in midlife crisis with the 300Cs, give it up...it's a nice car but stop trying to act like twinks(sorry had a few bad runins with 300Cs and magnums). the SRT-8 300C is a different story, I've only seen one though, haven't gotten to drive one yet.

Weight to HP(wheel HP)
    4200 / 260 = 16.1lbs per hp Stock Magnum RT 5 speed auto
    4400 / 230 = 19.3 lbs per hp Stock AWD Magnum RT 5 speed auto
    3200 / 230 = 13.9lbs per hp Stock STi 6 speed manual
    2900 / 165 = 17.5lbs per hp Stock WRX sedan 5 speed manual
    3400 / 279 = 12.1lbs per hp 05 Mustang GT Manual(just for reference)
    3100 / 260 = 11.9lbs per hp Me 5 speed RA manual

I have had the recent pleasure of driving an LS2 GTO and that's a whole different ballgame. My buddy put down 345hp and 355lb-ft in his bone stock GTO....
    3700 / 345 = 10.7lbs per hp... STOCK. . But it's a tad pricey for what you get, to me at least.

If you're looking for good price to performance you can't go wrong with a new mustang GT though. They are nice looking, decent interior, and not too bad for performance. One of my buddies put down 279hp and 301lb-ft as his baseline. $6k later(now about the same price as a magnum) he puts down 409hp and 378lb-ft.(headers, exhaust, and Vortech S/C). It's very streetable and 8.3lbs per HP when you get on it speaks volumes....
    STi+ 2k=10.5 lbs/HP. plus usefull non-up-in-smoke streetable launching capability.

Not to knock the new GT, as I think Ford did a stellar job on it, but I just took one from a 60 mph roll 2 weeks ago...and mine is just a Cobb Stage 2 Legacy GT. The driver of the GT couldn't believe it either.

I think my next ride will be a used 06 Z06. Stock...6.1 lbs/HP

ps....Although I like the look of the new Magnum/Charger lineup, and find the concept to be pretty cool, they are just plain to porky for my tastes.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Before I sold my Z, I had a run in with one. He still had paper plates on, but was driving like an @$$hat. Flew by me, cut off the person in front of me, blahblahblah. soon as I had some open road, I got up beside him, gave him the limp-wrist motion and laughed at him. I like to piss off ignorant drivers, and I knew it would get him going. Sure enough he punches it like he's going to blow me away. I dropped it into 4th, hammered it, and got a few car lengths on him. Then I slowed down enough for him to catch up, and did it again. Did this 2 times, and then just pulled hard up to 120-ish, and left him behind a good 4 car lengths. I was getting close to more traffic, so I slowed back down.

So yah, they are mostly hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Elliott
    Seriously, guys, don't take it so hard. I'm just trying to help. If you feel insulted you're taking it all wrong. You're never too old to learn and that includes me. I don't always get it right, either. I'm not calling everything I see, just the most common stuff.
    [OT]
    I am guessing you are probably a sophmore in college, right?
    Have you ever taken any linguistic classes? I am guessing No
    I am not trying to be a ****, but I just want to know how far off I am.
    [/OT]

You're not even in the Solar System.

40+year old photojournalist/writer/musician and a whole lot more.

And if I ever catch my kids using phrases like "first annual" or "one of the only" they are getting their mouth washed out with soap!
    Last edited by Marlon Elliott; 09-15-2005 at 03:48 PM.

And if I ever catch my kids using phrases like "first annual" or "one of the only" they are getting their mouth washed out with soap!
    You should hang yourself!

*Edit* added proper capitalization and punctuation so you wouldn’t cry
    Last edited by GIRex; 09-15-2005 at 05:46 PM.
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

sorry about that.
    In the past 40 years I am sure you have seen the English language change quite a bit. Language change is something that is inevitable and should be embraced (IMO). A certain level of standards needs to be established so that the language remains effective and not reach a point of die out. As history dictates, if a standard is extraneous and not vital for clear communication, it will eventually be dropped. There are plenty of dinosaurs that will disagree with me. For instance, the French government established The French Academy and their job is to accept or denounce current language change, in an effort to keep French “pure.” Keep in mind, the internet has an entirely different dynamic than other well established written mediums. Speech can not be viewed with the same scrutiny as written text; therefore, when establishing the standards of informal message board posting, it is unreasonable to expect the same standards as that of a formal written document. U kno whut I mean (y/n)?
    Again, I didn’t mean that age thing as a low blow. That attitude is generally congruent with that of a good English student in a rhetoric II class (aka: composition, etc.) people get so caught of with the formalities and standards they loose sight of the purpose a language serves.
    So, how about that magnum rt?... I think “trucks” like this are going to cause more children to become fatherless. 4000lbs is a lot of weight/responsibility, it seems like this fast large automobile craze is causing the roads to become a more dangerous place to be.

While I agree that language is a changing thing, there are some things that have to be done in order for it to be understood.

As an example of why convention is so important, when you are a teacher and you pronounce "doe" and "door" the same way, and you further expect your spelling students to differentiate between doe, the female deer, and doe, the thing you open to get into your house, you've defied convention to a detrimental end. True story, by the way.

As far as language, or as I prefer to refer to it in this context, grammar, on the internet being important or not, here are my thoughts. On the internet, you are how you type. How you say something is as important as what you say. People make a deterimination on what type of individual you are, as well as how valid your post is, based on your grammar skills as well as your content.

My main concern is an internet business. The only way you can determine if you want to do business with someone over the internet is by how their site looks. If they use sloppy grammar how can they expect me to think anything other than they will be sloppy at their business? If, during the course of a 13 plus year education, they couldn't pay attention enough to learn something as important as the English language they use every day, how are they ever going to pay attention to my needs?

Poor English skills are already being manifest in radio advertising around this area. Phrases such as "can be gotten" and "most unique event" have been aired in commercials locally. One local busines has as it's slogan, "The premier leader in..." their field. For those that don't understand why that's poor English, "premier" means the best; leader is the one person or business that is the foremost authority. Now, as you may or may not see, there can be no premier leader because only one can lead. There can not be a bunch of leaders with one being the best. I deem that company too stupid to get my business since they don't understand that concept.

I have to equate lack of skills in English (for those whom it is their native language) with those we laugh at for being "ricers." That may sound harsh, but consider the evidence. Ricers are trying to express themselves, but just don't understand how they look doing it. Same with someone who goes on the internet but doesn't use the proper skill set that communication demands. It just drives me nuts when someone doesn't understand the difference between words like to, too, and two (or there and their). Once again, those are skills taught MANY TIMES over the course of a (commonly, here in the US) 13 year FREE education. To miss them to the extent many I see on just about every board I visit do is hard to fathom for me. Is it poor teaching, poor study habits, or poor parenting? I'm not sure.

Like I said before, I'm not calling every mistake, just the most common or those that are so bad someone has to point it out. In fact, my crusade for better English skills is only part of my crusade to eradicate stupidity. I am against stupidity where ever I see it!

As for the Large Hot Rod? I don't see it as any more dangerous than the 455 powered Bonnevilles my parents had in the '70s. Those things were very safe. In fact, one of the coolest road cars I ever had was a '73 Buick Centurion coupe with a 455. It would light 'em up for blocks and would cruise at 100 all day long if that's what you wanted to do. It was less of a handful than my Pontiac T-37 that had a 400. Or my '70 428 Cobra Jet Mustang, for that matter. I think the lighter high horsepower cars are more dangerous because they take more skill to control. Plus, less experienced drivers (read younger if you wish) are buying them for the performance aspect and many are not able to handle them. Not saying all young people are bad drivers, but there are certainly a larger percentage of wrecks that are attributable to younger, less experienced, drivers than those who are more experienced. I applaud those young people who make it through the first few years of driving without an accident. I certainly had my share of off-road excursions when I got my license. And I started driving when I was 5. By the time I actually was driving legally, I had quite a bit of experience in cars, light trucks, and farm-type dump trucks with capacities in excess of 10 tons.

I really don't see myself in a Dodge Magnum or Charger, but if I was buying a family car instead of a fun car, I'd certainly look at one instead of an STi. But I really don't see the Dodges as a safety hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by GIRex
    You should hang yourself!

*Edit* added proper capitalization and punctuation so you wouldn’t cry
    Uh, you forgot a period. Or is that coming in the next few days?

Personally, I think your verse on the web has little to do with who you are. I've had carpal tunnel surgery twice and find myself a very lazy typist these days. To me, if your point comes across as you intend, you've done your job. This is a hobbyist’s site and I'm not here to impress anyone.

I do not have a literature/English degree, I actually preferred a degree that brought money home. I am generally a very lazy person when it comes to speech or text, although I do have the ability to sound like an aristocrat is need be.

I think this vernacular pissing match is pretty pointless. I have my MSCS, BSEE, and most recently my MBA. I have many friends who went the literary route, and I can safely say not one of them comes anywhere close to my income. So I can deduce, you either get to be an anal retentive English major and go around the web pissing people off....or make money.
    an 05 wrx wagon with a few mods and an 06 G35 sedan with none.

Quote Originally Posted by illusion
    Personally, I think your verse on the web has little to do with who you are. I've had carpal tunnel surgery twice and find myself a very lazy typist these days. To me, if your point comes across as you intend, you've done your job. This is a hobbyist’s site and I'm not here to impress anyone.

I do not have a literature/English degree, I actually preferred a degree that brought money home. I am generally a very lazy person when it comes to speech or text, although I do have the ability to sound like an aristocrat is need be.

I think this vernacular pissing match is pretty pointless. I have my MSCS, BSEE, and most recently my MBA. I have many friends who went the literary route, and I can safely say not one of them comes anywhere close to my income. So I can deduce, you either get to be an anal retentive English major and go around the web pissing people off....or make money.
    The way you use the word "I" makes me think you spend lots of time looking in the mirror.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.