Suzuki GSXR 1000 Encounter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Suzuki GSXR 1000 Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A friend ( 215lbs+ ) and I were coming back from dinner on Friday night and we were discussing different ...

Suzuki GSXR 1000 Encounter

A friend ( 215lbs+ ) and I were coming back from dinner on Friday night and we were discussing different methods on launching a car. I practiced once and it was clean. Then I pulled up to a light and there's a bike in the right lane with me in the left. I looked over to my friend and stated that it's not going to be pretty as if I practice my launch again by reving, that the bike would think I'm trying to race him. I decided to proceed anyways.
    I'm watching the lights and I notice the bike starting to move forward about 1/2 a car length. Light turns green and I jump 1.5-2 cars ahead of him. I redline 1st and the bike is still behind. I redline 2nd and I see him starting to catch up. I redline 3rd and he's right behind me but lets me get infront of him because there was a car coming up in my lane. We pull up to the next light and the guy comes up besides us. He stated ... "What do you have in that thing?" I reply "276/290" and apologize as I wasn't trying to "run" aganist him but trying to do practice launches. We started exchanging ideas about our rides and that's when I learned he was riding a 2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000. I asked if he wanted to run again and he said sure. Light goes green and I redline 1st but he's next to me as I didn't get a good launch. As I go through 2nd, he pulls 2+ car lengths on me and we both shut down by the end of 3rd. We catch the next light and we wave each other off.
    I learned that I NEED to launch to even has a chance aganist a bike; I need to stop worrying about slipping so much. I figured the bike wasn't expected the STI to pull much so didn't go all out on the first run and a second delay is a huge difference since we're in the mid/low 4s 0-60 and the run stopped by 70ish. I'm surprised I that didn't lose by more during the 2nd run. It's all good.
    Last edited by chuglobal; 06-27-2005 at 06:14 AM.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice kill
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

oh god, maybe an old 600 would have let you come close, but a gsxr 1000? New ones are putting down 160+/- so at the wheels and running mid 9's in the 1/4. He obviously didn't know which hand was the throttle hand.

VR4
    This has been a strange pattern lately, all these guys running close races with superbikes, what happened to all the good motorcyclists?
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

2005 Yamaha R1 Raven Black

Wow the gsxr 1000's are monsters. Although the kawasaki 10R is the fastest 1000cc bike out in 05.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Yo

I think it's the users not knowing their toys. I'm sure the bike would have killed me by many bus lengths w/ a proper user especially since I had extra weight. We could turn the tables and backup those people who keep coming close in runs to WRXs and STIs when we know they shouldn't.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Quote Originally Posted by YZFWV
    oh god, maybe an old 600 would have let you come close, but a gsxr 1000? New ones are putting down 160+/- so at the wheels and running mid 9's in the 1/4. He obviously didn't know which hand was the throttle hand.
    That's with a good rider.

Not everyone in a stock WRX comes close to running a 14.4 either.

Just something to think about....
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Yo

We're talking about <2 secs difference ... a bike does 0-60 around 3-4secs and a STI does 0-60 around the mid 4secs so a 1 sec delay equals the win/defeat within 70mph range. I know I can pull <4.8 consistently w/ the STI assuming the GTEC Pro is right. It's really up to the driver and reaction time in "street" situations.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Quote Originally Posted by chuglobal
    We're talking about <2 secs difference ... a bike does 0-60 around 3-4secs and a STI does 0-60 around the mid 4secs so a 1 sec delay equals the win/defeat within 70mph range. I know I can pull <4.8 consistently w/ the STI assuming the GTEC Pro is right. It's really up to the driver and reaction time in "street" situations.
    but when an sti is doing 4.5ish 0-60 and getting what, 13ish in the 1/4 miles, and the bike's doing 3-4 second 0-60 and pulling mid 9's in the 1/4, that 1 second on the 0-60 won't really matter...that's still about a 4 second difference down the quarter (with ideal rider/driver) and if you go over those speeds, it's all over. The new new 1k's are voluntarily limited at 187 mph. They can go that fast.

Yo

I think this is going to be a moot point/discussion ... there's always the paper vs. reality difference. We all know in a vacuum that things should be perfect but majority of the time, things are not. What happened, happened so until the next runs.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Quote Originally Posted by chuglobal
    I wouldn't trust G-Tech times or its HP figures. Been there, done that.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

sounds like a good demonstration of how so many people are posting these dumb "bike kills" lately. An inexperienced rider (or just someone not expecting it) would probably take 1-2 seconds to downshift to the proper gear, maybe more if they really suck, and by then a 13 second car at full throttle would probably pull at least 3-4 cars on a non-accelerating object (actually it would probably be slowing just a tad as he shifted), then the bike finally gets on it about 2 or 3 seconds late and the car has let off at 75-80ish,i could see it even taking till 100+mph for the bike to catch the car, as it would have to reach the cars speed and exceed it for a good deal of time before taking the lead, you proved it by talking to him and running again.

Kindof on a side note, I dont know if this is true where anyone else lives, but I know around my town its like sportbikes just blew up this summer. I remember last summer there was a small handful (less even before that), and then this summer its like everyone in town has one, I see them everywhere....this happening anywhere else? I know around here it means LOTS more inexperienced riders around.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Kindof on a side note, I dont know if this is true where anyone else lives, but I know around my town its like sportbikes just blew up this summer. I remember last summer there was a small handful (less even before that), and then this summer its like everyone in town has one, I see them everywhere....this happening anywhere else? I know around here it means LOTS more inexperienced riders around.

think that's going to start happening every where, now that most of the big 4 are putting out other sport bike options that aren't the latest and greatest 600 or 1k race bike. People used to not ride before because insurance and every thing else cost an ass load and everything is getting a lot cheaper....

Yeah I believe a properly driven gsxr1000 (not perfectly, but properly) nets something around at least 9.8 @ 144mph so I'm thinking a really badly driven one will at least run 11's unless the guy slips into a coma while riding it.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Yo

I think the biker was admiring the STI and was in "coma." I'm betting the next biker I run up aganist will put, I hope, many car lengths on me by 60-70ish ... unless it's looking at my car again.
    2004 STI White/Gold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.