'05 Sti vs. '01 TransAM WS6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on '05 Sti vs. '01 TransAM WS6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Some friends an I spent the weekend down in Lubbock TX, on the way back to Cannon AFB in hell ...

'05 Sti vs. '01 TransAM WS6

Some friends an I spent the weekend down in Lubbock TX, on the way back to Cannon AFB in hell hole Clovis, one of my buddies decided to have a couple runs in.
    Me = '05 STi - HKS Catback, Silencer Hack
    Him = '01 WS6 - Y-pipe, 6-Speed
    First Run was from 70mph:
    I start off in 5th I believe cause I was at only about 3-3.5k rpms, He puts up the 1 2 3 fingers and we both gun it at the same time. It was even until, I hit around 4-4.5krpm and boost came on and I gained about 1/2-3/4 of a car, it was then when I stopped pulling and he stood still, all the way to 130 where we shut down. It was DEAD even on that run, with me only 1/2-3/4 of a car up.
    Second Run was from 40mph: This on was a little more exciting.
    I start off In 3rd gear, and we end up going at about 40-48mph (not too sure, was looking at his hand guestures) we both gun it, and it is dead even, every shift I would make he would gain about half a fender and every shift he would make I would gain it back plus half a fender. We shut down at around 135 with me up by about 1 fender.
    I have to say, this was the most dead even race I have encountered in my STi so far. And for me to hang with a big v8 LS1 6 speed, I am mighty proud. Its not everyday I can say I hung with a v-8 worth racing (minus gt's)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice run
    just goes to show the mighty LS-1 isnt all powerful, although they are still very mean cars....
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Nice runs, didnt think this would be the outcome when I clicked it congrats

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Nice run
    just goes to show the mighty LS-1 isnt all powerful, although they are still very mean cars....
    i wouldnt say that
    minor mods make plenty power on those cars...

I'm glad Subaru put good torque on the STi

hmmm..
    Must have been a bad driver.
    Good runs dood.
    Z33

good run man.

Honestly, under the circumstances I would have expected you to lose. he is making quite a deal more horsepower than you, and trapping considerably higher as well... I dont know how/why you won, but good run anyways.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    good run man.

Honestly, under the circumstances I would have expected you to lose. he is making quite a deal more horsepower than you, and trapping considerably higher as well... I dont know how/why you won, but good run anyways.
    Is it me or does all his stories sound like bull****?
    Z33

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeflyby
    It's just you .
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

I dont know.. I dont pay attention... but that T/A should have walked him given equal drivers.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

AWD OWns again... nice 4 banger againist a v8.. nice... at least the guy is your friend and not a jackass about it.. saying my ac was on.. which i saw in a vid online..

Why is it every time the LS-1 comes up in these forums its gotta be faster than everybody else, or the driver was just a crappy driver or someone must be bs'ing. I've run multiple LS-1's, camaros and firebirds at the track and on the street, all everyone wants to do is timeslip and magazine race, just because the cars trap a few mph faster in this magazine or that one, doesnt always mean that their all going to rip those times. And trap speed is an **indication** of how well you'll do from a roll...not LAW, there are far too many other factors to look at when roll-racing (starting speed being a HUGE one, and plus one car will always jump the other...etc..).

They may have a little more whp stock than an STi, but they also weigh abou 2-300lbs more on average, and have longer gearing, so why is it that this and other stories like it so unbelievable.

Yes they CAN be very fast with mods....but with just a y-pipe I dont think this was any modded monster. But really look at the facts....you have a 3500lb 285whp or so rwd car with longer gearing against a 3200lb 250whp or so car with short as hell rally gears....hows that mean he gets smoked with equal drivers?

I got two friends with WS6 firebirds both 2002's both 6 speeds. One kid has full exhaust and headers he ran a 12.9@110mph the other kid's is stock he has not broken into the 13s yet with at least 4 trips to the track. His best is a 14.0@102mph. So there you have it, drivers and different cars make a huge difference. I am sure the exhaust mods and headers didn't gain my friend over a full second in the 1/4, im sure it has alot to do with the driver and the car itself.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

The funny thing is, I am not the greatest driver in the world, but I think I can run with the rest of em. I had to keep asking him if he was just playing with me, or if he was wot, cause he wasnt moving and I wasnt moving moving after I would get a slight lead. I was like, thinking any sec he would blast by me. But I was wrong.
    Now, another friend who went down there with us, and stayed there longer, he and I have raced before, and he kills me up top.
    He has a black WS6 Auto, but he has a few more mods then just a y-pipe, from a dig, he catches me and absolutely passes me like Im standing still by 130. but from a 40, I can hang till about 90-100 and he passes with a quickness.
    Why would I have to come on here and post kill stories that didnt happen. I have been reading these forums since about 2002, and I signed up like last year or something, I rarely post, and when I do, its certainly not BS my friend.

I killed a WS6 pretty good as well. Welcome to the LS1 killer club. :-)
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    I got two friends with WS6 firebirds both 2002's both 6 speeds. One kid has full exhaust and headers he ran a 12.9@110mph the other kid's is stock he has not broken into the 13s yet with at least 4 trips to the track. His best is a 14.0@102mph. So there you have it, drivers and different cars make a huge difference. I am sure the exhaust mods and headers didn't gain my friend over a full second in the 1/4, im sure it has alot to do with the driver and the car itself.

The full exhaust will open up a good amount of HP on that engine, the difference that a driver would probably make to your one friends 14.0@102 is about a 13.5@103-104 at best. I can deffinatly see full exhaust knocking one of those cars into the low 13's (which I would immagine is where your friends AVERAGE runs are, since a best of 12.9 is just barely breaking into 12's, I would imagine he usually runs 13.1-13.3 especially since its an unconsistent 6 speed). It deffinatly takes over 320-330whp to get a car that big into the 108mph+ trap area, and they simply dont come with that much power stock, I've heard of factory freaks dynoing around 290-300whp from the showroom, thats still only enough to best an sti by a mph or 2, maybe at around 104-105 (and I've heard of stock STi's trapping in this area anyway). They are fast cars stock (anythign that runs 100+mph traps stock is respectable in my opinion) but theres no reason this story should be unbelievable.

And I still dont see how a basically stock WS6 should walk an STi, a full exhaust is not anywhere near stock. I ran a 14.0@98 with a full turboback, up from a 14.4 stock, so thats about the same differnece there as your friends, especially since that big V8 is going to breath alot better with those headers, and I believe these cars get at least 20-30whp from a full exhaust. WS6's are easily mid-high 13 second cars stock when well driven, Ive seen this many times at the drag strip, how is this supposed to smoke a low 13 second car that traps maybe a mph slower???

And remember at the track the driver is going to make a HUGE difference in that car, especially since they have horrible traction issues stock, but crappy 60's arent going to make it trap a ton slower, and on a 40mph roll the driver will make little or no difference, especially with a big torquey V8......where all he has to do is... honk honk honk stomp. Dont those cars run to nearly 60 in 1'st gear, I mean come on its not like he has to shift nearly as much to 130mph as the STi, therefor the STi's skill would likely make a much bigger difference than the WS6's driver.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.