'05 Sti vs. '01 TransAM WS6 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on '05 Sti vs. '01 TransAM WS6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by AnthonyC. The funny thing is, I am not the greatest driver in the world, but I think ...

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC.
    The funny thing is, I am not the greatest driver in the world, but I think I can run with the rest of em. I had to keep asking him if he was just playing with me, or if he was wot, cause he wasnt moving and I wasnt moving moving after I would get a slight lead. I was like, thinking any sec he would blast by me. But I was wrong.
    Now, another friend who went down there with us, and stayed there longer, he and I have raced before, and he kills me up top.
    He has a black WS6 Auto, but he has a few more mods then just a y-pipe, from a dig, he catches me and absolutely passes me like Im standing still by 130. but from a 40, I can hang till about 90-100 and he passes with a quickness.
    Why would I have to come on here and post kill stories that didnt happen. I have been reading these forums since about 2002, and I signed up like last year or something, I rarely post, and when I do, its certainly not BS my friend.
    lol oh sorry, my mistake.

I was just thinking that..most 6 speed drivers I have seen at the drag strips over here HRP in houston or Steele in Alabama have hit atleast 106+ trap stock.
    Infact my friend trapped at 109 stock.
    I saw alot of people trapping 107-109 even on a bad day, stock.

So..Im guessing you ran into really bad driver.
    Z33

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeflyby
    So..Im guessing you ran into really bad driver.
    I didnt run into anyone, It was a person from work who i raced, but it is his first manual, as this is mine, I have just been driving this car for about 3-5 more months then he has his.
    But I would mayyyyyybe consider myself a better driver

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Why is it every time the LS-1 comes up in these forums its gotta be faster than everybody else, or the driver was just a crappy driver or someone must be bs'ing. I've run multiple LS-1's, camaros and firebirds at the track and on the street, all everyone wants to do is timeslip and magazine race, just because the cars trap a few mph faster in this magazine or that one, doesnt always mean that their all going to rip those times.

I am quite firmiliar with what LS1's are capable of, and a catback STi SHOULD NOT be beating a well driven 6spd WS6 w/ Ypipe. It is as simple as that. The LS1 is plain and simply a faster car from a roll. I am not calling bs on this guy, I am just saying that machine vs. machine in this circumstance, the LS1 is the faster car here. The LS1 may weigh a couple hundred pounds more, but it also makes nearly 50whp more and 70ft/lbs more torque.
    A trapspeed is indeed an indication of highend performance in a car, but when the car is making a considerable amount more power, trapping higher, etc.... Its a pretty clear win between a WS6 w/ exhaust and an STi with exaust. (driver not taken into account).
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Kind of reminds me of the time I hung with my buddies heads/cam z06... but he was only 1/2 throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I am quite firmiliar with what LS1's are capable of, and a catback STi SHOULD NOT be beating a well driven 6spd WS6 w/ Ypipe. It is as simple as that. The LS1 is plain and simply a faster car from a roll. I am not calling bs on this guy, I am just saying that machine vs. machine in this circumstance, the LS1 is the faster car here. The LS1 may weigh a couple hundred pounds more, but it also makes nearly 50whp more and 70ft/lbs more torque.
    A trapspeed is indeed an indication of highend performance in a car, but when the car is making a considerable amount more power, trapping higher, etc.... Its a pretty clear win between a WS6 w/ exhaust and an STi with exaust. (driver not taken into account).
    Well, Ill believe it when I see it. I see these cars run mid-high 13's at no more than 104-maybe 105 every time I go to the track, and its not like thier all pulling ****ty 60's either. Every one I've ever talked to that was running faster than that listed at least some mods.
    And I have run more than one from a roll, both in my current setup and as a Stage 2 (which is a little slower than an STi by the way). With my Stage 2 they would creep on me as speeds got alot higher, and with my current setup I have yet to have one pass me from a stop or a roll that wasnt modded.

and besideds....a roll is hands down the simplest form of racing, what bearing does driver skill have on how well you can put the pedal down, so it's such a clear win than how are so many people beating them, I'm not any faster than an STi and I've yet to have and Issue. My friends 400whp Chevell SS traps 108-110 in the 1/4 and run 12.6's all day long, that car pulls on me hard from a roll, deffinatly ALOT HARDER than any of the confirmed stock ls1's I've raced.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I am quite firmiliar with what LS1's are capable of, and a catback STi SHOULD NOT be beating a well driven 6spd WS6 w/ Ypipe. It is as simple as that.
    Well I'm only sure my friend and I were the only two drivers out that that day. We were talking about this race, throughout work yesturday, and he has decided come next pay check he is getting headers for his car, you can say our race inspired him to mod his car. Little does he know, my just catback, is soon to be full 3' catless turbo-back in 1 week. cause my downpipe came in, and now just has to be shipped to me. I'll see about getting this race, and my future races on video, so people who play the "magazine says" game, will have some proof

Very interesting. This shows anything can happen in racing. On paper a 01 WS6 should pull on an STi from a roll.

You must be good at rowing the gears and got the most out of your STi. Good Job.

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps

and besideds....a roll is hands down the simplest form of racing, what bearing does driver skill have on how well you can put the pedal down,
    It does not require "a lot" of skill..... but you would be suprised at how many people choose the wrong gear when downshifting in a rolling race
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    V8's are teh slowness...

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

Ive seen a lightly modded STi run a bone stock 01 trans am WS6. Pretty much the same results as your story.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Ike
    There was a WS6 at the local strip pulling 13.9s @102-3 all night. They can be damn fast but stock they are by no means invincible and it should be a god race with an STi.

When I was headers and full catless TBE in my STi I was able to take a WS6 on the highway. Now that I look back on it, it probably never should have happened but it did. I guess the guy wasn't a very good shifter or picked the wrong gear to start in. But the shorter gearing in the STi would hurt more than help, I think. The more you shift means the more time that your foot isn't on the gas. What is great about my Cobra is 3rd goes to about 115, instead of the STi when I had to shift into 5th at 95. Looks like you were the better driver between the two of you. Good job!
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Either way V8's are teh sl0wness...

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW
    Either way V8's are teh sl0wness...

and sRt4 is teh fastAr!!11!on3!

but seriously, next time you race him, you drive his car, and let him drive yours to see if its really a drivers race

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast