Hypothetical race...

This is a discussion on Hypothetical race... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a question. Here is the hypothetical scenario. 2 Cars. Both have equal mass. Both have equal power to ...

Hypothetical race...

I have a question. Here is the hypothetical scenario.

2 Cars. Both have equal mass. Both have equal power to weight ratio.
    1 Car is a 4 cylinder and the other is 8 cylinder.

After 120mph, who will start to pull on who? Will it be an even acceleration, or will there be an obvious car pulling?
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The answer lies in gearing. Also whats the need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    I have a question. Here is the hypothetical scenario.

2 Cars. Both have equal mass. Both have equal power to weight ratio.
    1 Car is a 4 cylinder and the other is 8 cylinder.

After 120mph, who will start to pull on who? Will it be an even acceleration, or will there be an obvious car pulling?
    First of all...you have to be more specific about the power. Do you mean they both have equal peak power to weight ratio? Or do their power bands look identical? I doubt their power bands are similar even if they do have similar peak power. Area under the curve will give you a better idea of who will pull. The V8 should technically have better area under the curve. Naturally, gearing also plays a big part not to mention the aerodynamics since at 120 mph the wind will prove to be a tough adversary. So really...your question is impossible to answer without gear ratios, dyno plots, and drag coefficients .
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

there are way more variables then this, gearing, aero, power to weight, hp and tq curves. if one guy took a piss before the race. all this is very important.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

I think if both engines are putting down the same wheel horse power, it will come down to who can hold redline longer, and keep the most power to redline.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic