Twin Turbo 300ZX's are fun

This is a discussion on Twin Turbo 300ZX's are fun within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just had a fun little run with a 300ZX TT. I was out cruisin around, enjoying the summer air, and ...

Twin Turbo 300ZX's are fun

Just had a fun little run with a 300ZX TT. I was out cruisin around, enjoying the summer air, and I see a white 300 up ahead of me. As I get closer I see the TwinTurbo badge on the back decklid and a nice set of tastefull aftermarket exhausts (looked like the stock ones just really chrome).

So I cut in front of the minivan in the right lane and I heard him downshift, which made me think he might want to play. I give it a littel gas to get closer and I hear him punch it, so I drop from 4th to 3rd (at about 45-50mph) and hit it, he heald me about a car back for about a second till I hit boost, I then instantly started to pull on him, I shift from 3rd to 4th at about 55-5800rpm right as I was at the back of his passenger door, by about 100mph in 4th I was about two cars in front when we both hit the breaks. I gave him the out the window (since he was turning behind me after we slowed down) and continued on.

Pretty sure he was stock or close too it (other than the exhaust of course), but he put up a decent fight none the less, I absolutely love those cars too. Once I can afford 2 cars (ie. once im done with school) I'll probably get one as a sunny day car, oh and it was immaculate, I saw no rust or anything, man are they beutiful...
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice kill!!

Nice kill. They are beautiful cars, a guy that used to be my friend had some, I hear theres a lot of things to look out for on them when buying used, but good luck, I'd love to have one myself.

i m curious why u shifted at 55-5800rpm? redline at 7k?
    Lancer Evolution V///

439 WHP / 362 TQ TTR 50 Trim on pump @ 23psi.
    11.6 @ 120mph 1.6 60' (11/11/06)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gsixty3
    i m curious why u shifted at 55-5800rpm? redline at 7k?
    I dont really know I just did it.... I had started shifting right as I glanced at the tach (I was just kinda feeling the engine till then, watching his car and the road mostly) and I was pulling on him so good at that point it didnt matter, 4th just kept on pulling.....I love this VF34

I notice sometimes when I'm just pleasure driving out in the country that it 'feels' faster to me (ie. more fun) to shift a little lower, anyone else notice this? I think it's because it hits the next gear right around 3600rpms (where my peak torque should probably be) instead of I think around 41-4200rpm if I shift at 7250 (redline thats set by the accessport). Torque is what you really 'feel' pulling you, so I figure thats why it 'feels' quicker....more time at torque peak....

I have no doubt at all its a good deal faster running it to redline, but I think I might just kind of be used to shifting there when fun driving, and besides, I wasnt trying to embarass the guy....I just wanted to have a little fun, as long as I'm in front its all good ....
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 06-26-2005 at 12:43 AM.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Yep

I totally agree, I had a run in with a Mach 1 and was shifting at 4500-4800 with a passenger, he by his lonesome. He could not pull away and I know he was ripping that motor, everytime I decided to pull I would just press a bit harder on the go pedal. Basically shifting at 7 k is unnecessary unless your trying to keep the revs up. I shift pretty fast so 4500-4800 I don't really drop much, also your powerband is around 5400-5600. Since I am modded and making good power I never really need the higer rpm shifts. Plus I baby my car no power shifting or launching. Good kill and your right no need to embarass anyone, you know what your car can do and that is enuff. The kid in the Mach 1 was pretty cool afterward and told me he wanted the Sti but the Mach was 8k cheaper.
    2004 Wrb Sti- Mildly modded!........pause......pause....."NOT!"