I'm quite sure that tonight was my last race.... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm quite sure that tonight was my last race.... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by TurnWRX and if it really was a cop, you're pretty much screwed and will get a ticket ...

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    and if it really was a cop, you're pretty much screwed and will get a ticket for exhibition of speed, and engaging in a speed contest.
    But the cop would've gotten a ticket too and if he didn't then the charge wouldn't have held up in court. How can you engage in a speed contest without another car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A cop can also pace you from a good distance away and decide your speed. I got a ticket like that in NY. I tried to fight it but no such luck.
    You wanna shoot? shoot. Dont talk!

A cop CAN pull you over by just showing you a badge. If you ran, and he wanted to screw you, you'd be in jail now on fellony evading. A cop has 100% police powers all the time. That means an off-duty cop driving his own car can pull you over and tickekt you, arrest you, or whatever. They're generally told not to get involved when they're not on duty because there's no partner, and the on-duty cops don't know to look out for you, but they CAN if they feel it neccessary to do so. Consider yourself VERY lucky.

In CA street racing will get your car confiscated. If its legal, it gets auctioned, and if it has illegal mods, it gets crushed. Do yourself a favor and find a local track to race on.

Still, pulling over for someone who just holds up a badge to a window....that's tricky. Are you SUPPOSED to do it if a real cops does it? yes. How do you know its a real cop? heh. that's the tricky part. I guess you keep going and if suddenly you're being followed by a line of cruisers you're pretty much screwed. Whether you should stop or not is irrelevent. If you weren't being an idiot and illegally racing people on the street in the first place you wouldn't have to make that decision. Glad you hear you've come to your senses.
    Last edited by blarg; 06-20-2005 at 12:35 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    A cop CAN pull you over by just showing you a badge. If you ran, and he wanted to screw you, you'd be in jail now on fellony evading. A cop has 100% police powers all the time. That means an off-duty cop driving his own car can pull you over and tickekt you, arrest you, or whatever. They're generally told not to get involved when they're not on duty because there's no partner, and the on-duty cops don't know to look out for you, but they CAN if they feel it neccessary to do so. Consider yourself VERY lucky.

In CA street racing will get your car confiscated. If its legal, it gets auctioned, and if it has illegal mods, it gets crushed. Do yourself a favor and find a local track to race on.

Still, pulling over for someone who just holds up a badge to a window....that's tricky. Are you SUPPOSED to do it if a real cops does it? yes. How do you know its a real cop? heh. that's the tricky part. I guess you keep going and if suddenly you're being followed by a line of cruisers you're pretty much screwed. Whether you should stop or not is irrelevent. If you weren't being an idiot and illegally racing people on the street in the first place you wouldn't have to make that decision. Glad you hear you've come to your senses.
    The thing is how do you determine if it was a real cop or not? judging by his statements, I would say he is not a cop. Even if he was a cop and you did run and they did catch you. You could fight it in court with a lawyer, because you were in fear for you life and you had know way to prove if he was a real cop or not.

Personally, I would of sh!t in my hand and thrown it at his face like a rabid gorilla.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    The thing is how do you determine if it was a real cop or not? judging by his statements, I would say he is not a cop. Even if he was a cop and you did run and they did catch you. You could fight it in court with a lawyer, because you were in fear for you life and you had know way to prove if he was a real cop or not.

Personally, I would of sh!t in my hand and thrown it at his face like a rabid gorilla.
    yeah that's always a good one for the subsequent insanity defense....

the fact is you never really CAN know. I almost became a cop, and they always tell you that even though you CAN do such a thing, you really shouldn't because you have no immediate backup, and dispatch doesn't know you're doing anything. What you SHOULD do is call the direct cop hotline on your cell phone and have a uniformed cop on his ass in less than 2 minutes. You could have also called in his license plate, and filed a report later so he can be picked up.

However, if you weren't drag racing people on the street in the first place you wouldn't even think "gee...should I pull over or not"...you wouldn't have done anything wrong and therefore it either wouldn't have happened, or you'd keep driving with a clear concience knowing that the guy couldn't possibly be waving that badge at you.

If he really was a cop and just wanted to fcuk with you, that's one thing, if he called in for backup and got you pulled over by a uniformed officer, you'd be in jail now, and your car would have probably gotten impounded...and if it WAS just some guy from Mall Security, then you got owned.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    and if it really was a cop, you're pretty much screwed and will get a ticket for exhibition of speed, and engaging in a speed contest.
    thats not the point. If the car is unmarked and no light, etc.. you dont have to pull over if you feel uncomfortable.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Id never pull over unless I saw distinct cop lights. If it was questionable, I'd call the cops from my phone in my car and ask them if they were legit lights cause you never know......
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

VR4
    I had some guy in a SE-R sentra signal me to pull over after a race, I did... figured he wanted to talk. He wanted to fight both me and my friend (passenger), some crazy 17 yr old kid not much over 160lbs if that. I laughed at him, made fun of his shirt and took off. Whats the deal with these guys!?!?
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

2005 Yamaha R1 Raven Black

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    thats not the point. If the car is unmarked and no light, etc.. you dont have to pull over if you feel uncomfortable.

that's right...but if you weren't doing anything wrong, you wouldn't have to wory about it. I STILL think its a far better an idea to just take it to the track, and keep the testosterone under control when on public streets.

You know what got it out of my system? A weekend of lessons and driving Formula cars. Let me tell you, spinning a Formula car at 160 MPH in a turn, getting it back under control after 5 spins, and continuing your laps without a scratch really puts it into perspective...After that, getting back into a car that tops out at ONLY 140 MPH was kind of a let down. I still go to the track once in a while, and believe me, its MUCH nicer when you don't have to be on the lookout for cops or idiot drivers...it really allows you to enjoy the ride much more than the 20 seonds you usually get on the street.

Like my girlfriend says...some guys only need 20 seconds, and they're happy with that...some guys like to enjoy for hours and hours. I'm pretty sure she was talking about racing.
    Last edited by blarg; 06-20-2005 at 05:03 PM.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by VR4
    I had some guy in a SE-R sentra signal me to pull over after a race, I did... figured he wanted to talk. He wanted to fight both me and my friend (passenger), some crazy 17 yr old kid not much over 160lbs if that. I laughed at him, made fun of his shirt and took off. Whats the deal with these guys!?!?

what kind of shirt?

I think its some kind of testosterone fart. I was with a friend of mine a few weeks ago, and he almost got into a fight with some other guy over a parking space. They both stopped their cars so neither one could get into the space and started yelling at eachother. While this was going on, about 4 other spaces opened up, and were subsequently taken by other people. I just got out and went to get movie tickets...he wanted me to back him up, and I said "hey, I'm your friend, but if you're going to be an idiot, you're on your own."
    Last edited by blarg; 06-20-2005 at 05:00 PM.
    go f*** yourself

This is why you race with a video camera. Get him racing on camera. He will $hit a brick.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Ok...so...one hand on the camera...one hand on the steering wheel, and....uh....you drive an automatic don't ya?

...because at 100 MPH, thinking about keeping the shiny side up just isn't enough.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtony
    But the cop would've gotten a ticket too and if he didn't then the charge wouldn't have held up in court. How can you engage in a speed contest without another car?
    I was gonna say the same thing.

I don't think your car gets auctioned off right away, I think that you have to pay a big fine (might be something like 2-4g's) and if you don't then it gets auctioned. The illegal mods part I don't know that much about but crushing the car sounds excessive. I think they would have a car with illegal mods take the parts off then get it inspected again within a certain period of time and if it wasn't done then the car would be impounded and given the same type of fine or more to get it out plus you still have to get it fixed.

Actually I just was told by a friend that he thinks if your caught street racing in CA you get your car impounded and you have to pay the blue book price of your car to get it out of impound. That's not to pay off your car, that's just the fine for street racing in CA.

And I also just saw this thing on the news about some guy impercinating(sp?) a police officer with a badge and what not and he just happened to do this badge flashing to a cop and the cop was suspicious and ended up catching the guy in his lie and now the guy is gonna face a lot of time in jail.

Ok...so...one hand on the camera...one hand on the steering wheel, and....uh....you drive an automatic don't ya?

...because at 100 MPH, thinking about keeping the shiny side up just isn't enough.
    I think he is refering to having a mounted camera in the car which some people do.........
    Last edited by TheReaper; 06-20-2005 at 05:20 PM.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper
    I don't think your car gets auctioned off right away, I think that you have to pay a big fine (might be something like 2-4g's) and if you don't then it gets auctioned. The illegal mods part I don't know that much about but crushing the car sounds excessive. I think they would have a car with illegal mods take the parts off then get it inspected again within a certain period of time and if it wasn't done then the car would be impounded and given the same type of fine or more to get it out plus you still have to get it fixed.

Actually I just was told by a friend that he thinks if your caught street racing in CA you get your car impounded and you have to pay the blue book price of your car to get it out of impound. That's not to pay off your car, that's just the fine for street racing in CA.
    well in Southern California, (in L.A. County at any rate) if you get caught street racing your car is automatically confiscated, and you DON'T get it back. The police department can choose to have the car destroyed.

http://www.lapdonline.org/press_rele...09/pr03640.htm

http://www.lapdonline.org/press_rele...09/pr03639.htm

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...article_id/544
    go f*** yourself

Yeah I believe it is only like that in LA because this was one of the things on one of the pages you postededed. Captain Greg Meyer, of the LAPD's Valley Traffic Division, called the crushing "a dramatic reminder of what can happen if you get caught street racing in the streets of Los Angeles."

I didn't think laws would be so different from area to area within the U.S. but now I see it is because of what happened when Brian asked to see the radar gun and because of the crushing of the car thing in LA. I think they should keep the laws the same every where because there would be a lot less confusion about things such as having no cats or all 3 cats in your exhaust. There was another thing a CHP guy told me about radar guns, he said if it is a radar gun and not the new laser guns and you are clocked on a busy street you might can get away with the speeding (if you were) because the radar guns detect things at a wide range so it is very likely the cop got another person or multiple people clocked at the sametime. Oh yeah and the fake cop I talked about in my previous post did something similar to what happened to rickyh but the guy he pulled over was an off duty deputy that recognized the guy from police school but the guy didn't graduate and in fact was only a security guard HAHA so now he is waiting for his sentence and his bail was set at 100 grand.
    Last edited by TheReaper; 06-20-2005 at 05:55 PM.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.