2002 WS6 VS 1989 2.5 turbo supra

This is a discussion on 2002 WS6 VS 1989 2.5 turbo supra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just went for a nice little run with some of my friends, first off the 2002 WS6 was at ...

2002 WS6 VS 1989 2.5 turbo supra

I just went for a nice little run with some of my friends, first off the 2002 WS6 was at the track lastnight and he ran a 12.9@110, the 1989 supra has the japanese 2.5 engine in it with a single turbo conversion. Both cars had 1 passenger the most accurate run was from a 50mph roll, i was in the supra, the WS6 got the jump and put a half car on the supra before the supra even went, once the supra finally got past its lag it managed to make up the lost car length and put 2 full additional cars on the WS6 by 100mph, after that it would have just got ugly since the supra pulls harder and harder the faster it goes. That was the best race i have ever been in and being a former owner of a 1988 turbo supra it made me proud of the oldschool supras again.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

IMHO, the late 80s model Supras are the best looking of them all. I have a friend of the family's just pick up an 88 turbo. Those cars are mint!

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    Thats true

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeMy2.5RS
    IMHO, the late 80s model Supras are the best looking of them all. I have a friend of the family's just pick up an 88 turbo. Those cars are mint!

a friend had a turbo 88 or so ... His was a p.o.s. and kept breaking on him. He eventually ended up selling it. Not to say all of the early supra's were ****ty but from my experience of one car it was depressing.

Id take a 93-98 supra over pretty much any car on the road today if I wanted top end speed.
    Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    I just went for a nice little run with some of my friends, first off the 2002 WS6 was at the track lastnight and he ran a 12.9@110, the 1989 supra has the japanese 2.5 engine in it with a single turbo conversion. Both cars had 1 passenger the most accurate run was from a 50mph roll, i was in the supra, the WS6 got the jump and put a half car on the supra before the supra even went, once the supra finally got past its lag it managed to make up the lost car length and put 2 full additional cars on the WS6 by 100mph, after that it would have just got ugly since the supra pulls harder and harder the faster it goes. That was the best race i have ever been in and being a former owner of a 1988 turbo supra it made me proud of the oldschool supras again.

Great run, Supra no matter what year is a great car period.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Quote Originally Posted by roo21
    a friend had a turbo 88 or so ... His was a p.o.s. and kept breaking on him. He eventually ended up selling it. Not to say all of the early supra's were ****ty but from my experience of one car it was depressing.

Id take a 93-98 supra over pretty much any car on the road today if I wanted top end speed.
    Well my 1988 Supra had 189k miles on it, it was pushing boost levels of near 13psi (6.8psi stock) for nearly 70k miles, the turbo in the car was never rebuilt the trans in that car is very strong, the only weakness of that car is the headgasket, its a known problem with the MKIII supras, but other then that a car that i beat on with 189k miles that was far from stock and was still running the orig turbo and motor which were never rebuilt seems quite reliable to me.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I have to agree the old Supras look alot better than the new ones. i had a white 89 toyota supra targa top turbo. I loved that car the seats just sucked you in and the power accesories it had was the best. I sometimes wished i never got rid of it. Love to get another one again.

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    I had my 1987 Supra Turbo from 1994, I keep enjoying this car.
    Of course you need to invest and do correct maintance, but pay off is huge.
    Lets say never worry about killing the trany , unless you really stupid.
    Or push 400 rwhp on stock engine internals and trany. Don't know if you guys knew, the 5 speed trany R154 on the older 1987-1992 Supra Turbo, came right from the pick up truck,
    they are very riggid and relible cars (except like some one already mention- stock headgasket and stock head bolts from soft material, also factory wrong recomended torque for these bolts, only 58 pounds, should be over 70). Can be fixed easy with new style headgasket, not even MHG and APR bolts with correct torque.
    I pass all of that and many others issues due to fuk up "mechanics" and cars old age.
    But like I said before it will pay off. And almost forget, if anyone planning to get older Supra, he/she need to prepare to work on it on his/her own, learning from forums, friends etc, other then this you'll waist alot of money and eventually gave up. Not too many mechanics really know these cars and these who know, are charging way too much.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by SHAINE30
    I have to agree the old Supras look alot better than the new ones. i had a white 89 toyota supra targa top turbo. I loved that car the seats just sucked you in and the power accesories it had was the best. I sometimes wished i never got rid of it. Love to get another one again.