I'm a Disgrace! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on I'm a Disgrace! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by crazycam31 first gear takes you up to like 35-40 or so... I don't see what the deal ...

Quote Originally Posted by crazycam31
    first gear takes you up to like 35-40 or so... I don't see what the deal is here....
    What rpm are you at when you are goin 40? 5k? Higher? Thats not enough room to even bother to risk goin to 1st. Either go to second or start from dig and leave it in 1st till you reach those speeds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, if I was at exaclty 30 i probably wouldn't downshift, but anything less I would.... in second gear thats just starting to get to the sweet spot and it would take a second or two to hit boost... By that time you'd be just hitting to top of first, putting it into second and be in the "sweet spot."

Granted, I did mention already that my numbers might be a bit high since I'm not running the stock turbo.... Unlike a stock turbo, i make my peak power at like 6500 rpms... Not 5250 or so... kthanks.

exactly what i was sayin....by the time you shift, hit redline in like .000000000000001 seconds, and shift back to second the guy will be so far gone and laughing his ass off.

not to mention, at that point, i cant see the powerband being worthwhile, unless the powerband on the wrx peaks at redline.

Quote Originally Posted by IHRTWRX
    What rpm are you at when you are goin 40? 5k? Higher? Thats not enough room to even bother to risk goin to 1st. Either go to second or start from dig and leave it in 1st till you reach those speeds.
    \
    40 is about redlining. think about it this way. what "puts you in your seat harder", the top or first gear or 3500-4000 in second?

Quote Originally Posted by 05WRX0704
    not to mention, at that point, i cant see the powerband being worthwhile, unless the powerband on the wrx peaks at redline.
    Granted, I did mention already that my numbers might be a bit high since I'm not running the stock turbo.... Unlike a stock turbo, i make my peak power at like 6500 rpms... Not 5250 or so... kthanks.

\
    40 is about redlining. think about it this way. what "puts you in your seat harder", the top or first gear or 3500-4000 in second?
    Well... neither. About 3.5-4k in 1st. And I dont care if more power comes from the last 500 rpms in 1st, that power is going to be useless due to the fact that you will lose time between the extra shift.

OK, since I'm still learning the quirks of my rex, what would the recommended protocol for this situation? I know I should've used 2nd instead of 3rd, but again, I literally just turned 1000 miles today. So do I put it in 2nd with revs real high going side by side with him then hit it? Or do I depress the clutch with it in 2nd, bring up the revs and then release the clutch when I'm ready to go? I want to have fun with this thing, but I don't want to do any damage. I just feel like I'm walking on eggshells with the tranny on this thing. I'm not used to that. I've mentioned in other threads that I've got 194,000 miles + on the original clutch on my Aspire, and those are hard miles (by necessity really).

No, you would just downshift into the gear, release the clutch and then hit the gas when you want to go.

As far as downshifting though, you should be familiar with rev-matching to get into the low gears at higher speeds (so you don't wear out your syncros) and you need to double clutch in order to downshift to first.

^ Yeah, that too. I've got the heel toe, double clutch thing, been doing that for a while, but it's tough going from a clutch with 194K on it as opposed to 1K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12