Short Z28 Encounter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Short Z28 Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yesterday, driving through town, came up next to a Z28 at a light. Couldn't see the driver that well because ...

Short Z28 Encounter

Yesterday, driving through town, came up next to a Z28 at a light. Couldn't see the driver that well because the intersection is at an angle and I was the one ahead. But, he started creeping up like he wanted to try me. I just loafed away from the light, but he punched it a little and flew past, the rectangular twin exhaust tips sounding good.

Next light, he starts creeping up again and I look over at him. Young guy, baseball cap on backwards, not really looking at me or revving hard though. I anticipate the light change, suddenly bring it up to 4500 rpm just as we go green and launch it hard. Typical WRX mad-dog assault on the redline in 1st, I pull a car length or two, shift to 2nd and shut down right away at around 40-45 mph 'cause we're approaching traffic and the next light. He rips past, revs it and backs off also.

I stop at the next light, next to the Camaro driver. He's laughing and smiling, me too. He says, "Man, what the heck is that thing ?! I saw one like it on the freeway the other day too. They're fast !" I said, "Thanks, it's the awd lauch, but you'd kill me in that Z28 over 60. This is a Subaru WRX." Light turns green, we wave and he exits onto the freeway. Gotta love this car and small moments like that.
    Old, but not slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Short Z28 Encounter

Originally posted by ScoobySteve
    I stop at the next light, next to the Camaro driver. He's laughing and smiling, me too. He says, "Man, what the heck is that thing ?! "
    LOL man thats classic! nice story.
    04 SVT Lightning

Scooby Steve rocks!

Thats funny, I would think that people would have realized what it is by now. I thought the whole WRX sleeper status was officially over. I must refer to my signature quote...
    "There is no replacment for displacment"
    Yeah there is, its called a big @$$ turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by ebr0t
    Thats funny, I would think that people would have realized what it is by now.
    Yeah, true for most of the country, but this was in Antioch.

No joking, he is not the first young person I've met in my town who didn't know the WRX. I got the exact same reaction at the local Chevron station from a young man when the car was fairly new, right after I put my 5Zigen rims (excuse me, wheels) on it. "What is that ?!"
    Old, but not slow.

I think us wagon owners have a lot more sleeper status left.

Just the other day some guy looked at my car in a parking lot and said, "I didn't know those things came as a wagon....damn"

I nodded my head, smiled and said, "I love sleepers!"
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

You're right about the sleeper value of the wagon, VA_WRX. But even in Silicon Valley, this happened just a couple of weeks ago.

At a light, me in the middle lane, guy pulls up on the right in a Miata, his girlfriend riding with him. I look over, don't pay 'em much more mind, when all of the sudden, the Miata starts revving like crazy and it's loud. The guy takes off hard, I'm surprised but respond and blow past him. Next light, he grins and winds down his window to talk.

I say, "Nice launch for a Miata, whaddya got for mods ?"
    He says, "Oh, I had a supercharger but I took it out. Just an exhaust now. Your car is really something, what have you done to it ?"

I'm thinking, in what Bizarrro world does a Miata driver without a V8 conversion try to impress his girl by attacking a WRX in a straight-up drag race ? But I said, "Yeah, I've got an exhaust too." LOL.
    Old, but not slow.

i was messing with a ws6 one day and the same thing happened. we were at a roll, we both hit it and i was ahead of him by about 1 car lenght, until about 70 or so when he started to creep up and at about 95 he was about 1.5 cars in front. we stopped at the red light and the guy was like what the heck is that. what do u have under that hood? im like, oh man, its nothing. its automatic, all stock. the guy was soooooooo confused. he was like, "that things stock?" im like yeah of course. it comes with a turbo and intercooler and awd... but its still stock. the guy just looked at me and said nice car, and took off. i later met up with him at this car wash place, and the guy checked out my car. he couldnt believe that i could do so good with him and i was stock.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Originally posted by ScoobySteve
    You're right about the sleeper value of the wagon, VA_WRX. But even in Silicon Valley, this happened just a couple of weeks ago.

At a light, me in the middle lane, guy pulls up on the right in a Miata, his girlfriend riding with him. I look over, don't pay 'em much more mind, when all of the sudden, the Miata starts revving like crazy and it's loud. The guy takes off hard, I'm surprised but respond and blow past him. Next light, he grins and winds down his window to talk.

I say, "Nice launch for a Miata, whaddya got for mods ?"
    He says, "Oh, I had a supercharger but I took it out. Just an exhaust now. Your car is really something, what have you done to it ?"

I'm thinking, in what Bizarrro world does a Miata driver without a V8 conversion try to impress his girl by attacking a WRX in a straight-up drag race ? But I said, "Yeah, I've got an exhaust too." LOL.
    Hmm, I need to go ScoobySteve hunting in Anitoch
    Sure he'll blow me away...but I won't be walking away with my tailpipes between my legs.

Scooby Scooby Doo where are YOU?

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

I Support ClubWRX
    There sure are a LOT of Z28 and SS Camaro owner that are teens with baseball caps around Redwood City, Los Altos, Los Gatos area here in the Bay Area. I think this car is the High School kids car of choice around here in the Bay Area. I still haven't gotten into a good street race yet. Still looking. But be careful of pedestrians.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 10-08-2002 at 01:16 PM.

Originally posted by LostLamb

Hmm, I need to go ScoobySteve hunting in Anitoch
    Scooby Scooby Doo where are YOU?

-LostLamb
    No need of that. My Porsche-driving inlaw and I are looking for a track day at Thunderhill (maybe Sears or Laguna Seca) in November. Once we set something up, I'll PM you or post on the Bay Area board. Then you can bring The Shoe out for some real fun.
    Old, but not slow.

Deal!

They do make a nice supercharger kit for my car....Mmmmmmm

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

Nice kill. I've beaten a z28 on the freeway w/ just an exhaust and bov. I had him by about 2-3 cars, but shut it down at about 115. I think he would have caught up eventually. Now that I have my downpipe, I can pretty much hold my own against Z28s new and old on the freeway. I've yet to run a SS, but a WS6 is the same thing. I would think that I would be a little behind or even depending on the driver. That said...

Technology is the replacement for displacement. Some people can't grasp the fact that a lil 4banger turbo sedan or wagon can own their american muscle.

Originally posted by Hybrid-X

Technology is the replacement for displacement. Some people can't grasp the fact that a lil 4banger turbo sedan or wagon can own their american muscle.
    check my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by ebr0t

check my sig
    That's true to an extent, but w/o technology, there would be no big a$$ turbos. Also, just because you have a huge turbo doesn't mean you're going to own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.