WRX TXS stage 1 dead even with stock EVO?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX TXS stage 1 dead even with stock EVO? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sure seems that way. This weekend I was running an errand over on the north side of town and happened ...

WRX TXS stage 1 dead even with stock EVO?

Sure seems that way.

This weekend I was running an errand over on the north side of town and happened to run across a red Evo scooting through traffic. Well, I really wanted to see how my wagon stacked up next to the Evo, so I managed to catch up.

Well, I egged him on a little bit, so we got a couple of digs from a roll. from 45-70 we were both pretty damn even. I let him start the runs, and he spooled slightly faster because of it, but as soon as I spooled up I was able to keep my front bumper at his rear bumper the whole time. It was over almost before it began, but I got a good impression of where the cars met.

So that got me to thinking: "Could a stage 1 TXS car keep pace with an evo, or is my car just one of those faster from the factory cars?"

So, here is what an Evo dyno's at stock:

and here is what my stage 1 WRX is supposed to dyno if tuned correctly:

so the power is pretty damn even... but the edge goes to the Evo with 207 hp over my 203 hp.

Lets look at weight.

Evo's weigh 3263 lbs stock
    WRX wagon weighs 3165 lbs stock

So both cars weighed just about the same with the edge going to WRX

the only other thing that might be a factor would be driver weight - trust me there was no skill involved in this little race.

anyhoo, I thought I would share. This has probably already been covered... so I'll say it first... REPOST
    2002 Black WRX wagon
    1997 GMC Suburban. TURBO Diesel, 4x4 Runs on WVO

Your post count does not equal your intelligence. I don't care how many times you replied with "tacos rule"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

VR4
    don't forget... 2 diff dynos
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

2005 Yamaha R1 Raven Black

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    i can see u staying even with a evo, i am stage 2 cobb and i beat stock evos. by a car or so
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

VR4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    i can see u staying even with a evo, i am stage 2 cobb and i beat stock evos. by a car or so
    swwweeeetttt
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

2005 Yamaha R1 Raven Black

Quote Originally Posted by VR4
    don't forget... 2 diff dynos

good point. The TurboXS dyno plot looks like it came from a Dynapak Dyno, which reads low from personal experience. I have no idea what dyno type the Evo came from. hell, that could be a homemade spreadsheet for all I know. Plus, the TurboXS dyno is from their marketing site, so who knows how accurate it is... I know marketing types tend to make their product as appealing as possible...
    2002 Black WRX wagon
    1997 GMC Suburban. TURBO Diesel, 4x4 Runs on WVO

Your post count does not equal your intelligence. I don't care how many times you replied with "tacos rule"

man i've seen stock evo's put down waaayyy more than that. but there are a few other weak spots in a stock evo too, clutch, boost falling off ar 6k rpms, that restrictive dp and exhaust. but the biggest factor in the whole thing is.. who is the better driver????
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Evo's will generallly put down more power than that. I think in your case, you encountered a bad driver more than anything. A stageI wrx should not be running even with a wrx assuming equal drivers are in each car. A stageI wrx is good for 13.9-14.1 with a good driver where as the Evo with a good driver will run 13.4-13.6 and trap about 3mph+ more than a stageI wrx as well.
    But again, those are 2 different dyno's and in your race you had two different drivers.. Generally though, the Evo is faster than a stageI wrx.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I definitely would have given the nod to the EVO, but hey you never know! One quick note, TXS Stage 1 should easily be faster than 13.9-14.1. When I was stock + MBC (15.5psi) I managed consistent 13.80's, so I'd imagine with the fuel and ignition tuning added you could do even better
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

I had an almost Identical run with an Evo in NJ when I was running just a turboback. I let him go first and we only raced about 25-80 (top of 1st rolling off a light till part way into 3rd), and I was at his bumper the entire time. With my cobb stage 2 I never had a chance to run one, but after riding in my friends evo alot I think I would have pulled a car or two on him as stage 2. He would never race me though, he won when I was stock and for some reason has it in his head I cant beat him.... Since I've modded my car hes completely trashed his, so I doubt it would even be worth racing the thing is so beat on, unfortunate because last time I rode with him it was still like brand new.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by WMAWRX
    I definitely would have given the nod to the EVO, but hey you never know! One quick note, TXS Stage 1 should easily be faster than 13.9-14.1. When I was stock + MBC (15.5psi) I managed consistent 13.80's, so I'd imagine with the fuel and ignition tuning added you could do even better
    I was trying to be as realistic as possible with my assumed numbers though. Generally a pretty well driven wrx will run anywhere from 14.2-14.3 and with a stageI and driven just as well time of 13.9/14.0 would be most probably IMO. There are always exceptions though. I ran a 13.3 with my catless and MBC wrx.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

that evo dyno plot looks like one from a Mustang Dyno. they read really low
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.