Cobb STG2 vs early 90s 5.0 Mustang

This is a discussion on Cobb STG2 vs early 90s 5.0 Mustang within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wasnt expecting a race on the way to work this morning, but the road leading to the interstate is 3 ...

Cobb STG2 vs early 90s 5.0 Mustang

Wasnt expecting a race on the way to work this morning, but the road leading to the interstate is 3 lanes, and the exit is off to the right. There is a light about 100 yrds from the exit, and if its red, i try to get in the middle lane so i can gun past the slow ppl in the right to geto n the exit first.(its a great exit, i can easily get it up to about 110-115 before having to merge into traffic.

Anyway, so i get in the middle lane and i notice this early 90s model Mustang with a loud exhaust and a 5.0 on it. Im not familiar with these models too much but im guessing a 1992 5.0.

I didnt have a chance to launch because i had no idea he was going to race, i wasnt even thinking about it for that matter. He guns it right off the line and gets about 1/4 car in front of me(remember no launch period) and as soon as i get in the good RPMS i pull him all the way through 3rd gear and he ends up about 2 cars behind before we shut down. I was pretty impressed, this is my first dig race since i got my Stage2 setup, i just wish i coulda launched, it wouldnt have been nearly as close i think. Anyway, both gave thumbs up. Seemed cool enough guy, dontt hink he was expecting to get beat by an import tho.

Anyone know how fast these old mustangs run? Does that sound right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They arent that fast at all in stock form. They are pigs. But there is a ton of potential in modding them.

Nice kill man. A couple kids a my highschool have 5.0's, and they sound mean. I don't know exact stats on them, but I've seen videos of these things supercharged and with some other things and they have the potential to run 9's, so, good job. Great thing was he caught you off guard and you were still able to recover and make a run.
    03 Light Silver Metallic Audi TT Coupe
    03 Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura MDX (Rollin on 20's )

stock 5.0's are good for low 15's with an average driver, but I've seen very high 14's with someone who really knows what they're doing. Unfortunatly i seem to meet alot of kids that think they'll put an intake and catback on them and start thinking its the fastest car on earth. However if modded correctly, they have ALOT of potential, and their like DSM's, every one you roll up too could be a dog with a big exhaust or a street monster running 500whp.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Nice. thats what i was figuring on. It sounded angry thats for sure, but it wasnt much of a match.

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    However if modded correctly, they have ALOT of potential, and their like DSM's, every one you roll up too could be a dog with a big exhaust or a street monster running 500whp.
    +1.
    Trek mountain bike (with front AND rear suspension!)
    Zero skateboard