4G eclipse
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 4G eclipse within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know this car as been talked about a lot here lately, but I felt the need to bring this ...

4G eclipse

I know this car as been talked about a lot here lately, but I felt the need to bring this up, because many people are saying that the car is going to run high 14's and be no better than a RSX-S or something.
    Well in the new Road and track, and MotorTrend they each tested the car. Each of them commented on how nice the torque curve is the power is always on tap. I also found that the times they each got were incredibly impressive and should tell a few people here that although its ugly, FWD, heavy, and has bad torque steer, this car still has a nice interior and you must have respect for the power and the fact that fully loaded with leather, 6MT, 18" wheels, etc.. its only $25k and thats before all the rebates mitsu. hands out

MotorTrend = 14.2 @ 101mph

Road and Track = 14.4 @ 101mph

All negatives aside, you have to have respect for those times from an eclipse. That is nearly a full second faster than its 4banger turbo model that used to be so popular and more than a second and a half faster than the V6 Gen.3 eclipse.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Trap speed is nice too. Yeah I don't care to much about eclipses but these do have nice power and if I was a big mitsu fan I would probably consider this car if I could get a nice deal on it.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not bad, can't wait to find one at a light

problem is it has to be out of the shop to run those times
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

The negative feeling people have about the car is because of how poor the last generation eclipse was, and the fact that the numbers just dont add up. The thing that really makes me wonder, is that by looking at the stats on paper it seems to me like the car should perform (at least straight line) compariatively with something like a nissan maxima, which runs high 14's-low 15's in the 95mph area, being as their both roughly the same weight,hp and FWD. This makes me think either:

1. The 260hp is very underrated
    2. The test cars that mitsu is giving out are slightly *tweeked* from what will be in showrooms
    3. The car is geared through the roof.

Because frankly motor trend and car and driver tests aside (they never seem spot on to me), the car is both heavier and has less horsepower than a Nissan 350Z, AND uses FWD and yet these mags are pulling almost the same times in the eclipse as they do in the Z. It just doesnt all add up, ill believe it when i see it, as I think alot of the people on these forums would agree.
    I could even see the 14 second ET's, but I just dont get where the 100+mph traps are comming from. The Z traps the same with 27 more hp and a lighter curb weight, it just doesnt add up., Or take the SRT-4, which performs about the same as the numbers we've seen on the new eclipse, and yet they run about 220whp on the dyno (close to 250 a the engine) and weight ALOT less than the mitsu...yet perfrom the same?
    I'll wait till I see one at the track with my own eyes like I do with most cars, untill then my respect for the car is just what it was for the 3rd gen, regardless of a little boost in power their still poor cars, the 2nd gen was the last real performance eclipse, and we're never going to see one like it again now that the evo is out. The car is nothing more than a secretary hauler now, and even the 50hp bump doesnt change my mind about that....
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    The negative feeling people have about the car is because of how poor the last generation eclipse was, and the fact that the numbers just dont add up. The thing that really makes me wonder, is that by looking at the stats on paper it seems to me like the car should perform (at least straight line) compariatively with something like a nissan maxima, which runs high 14's-low 15's in the 95mph area, being as their both roughly the same weight,hp and FWD. This makes me think either:

1. The 260hp is very underrated
    2. The test cars that mitsu is giving out are slightly *tweeked* from what will be in showrooms
    3. The car is geared through the roof.

Because frankly motor trend and car and driver tests aside (they never seem spot on to me), the car is both heavier and has less horsepower than a Nissan 350Z, AND uses FWD and yet these mags are pulling almost the same times in the eclipse as they do in the Z. It just doesnt all add up, ill believe it when i see it, as I think alot of the people on these forums would agree.
    I could even see the 14 second ET's, but I just dont get where the 100+mph traps are comming from. The Z traps the same with 27 more hp and a lighter curb weight, it just doesnt add up., Or take the SRT-4, which performs about the same as the numbers we've seen on the new eclipse, and yet they run about 220whp on the dyno (close to 250 a the engine) and weight ALOT less than the mitsu...yet perfrom the same?
    I'll wait till I see one at the track with my own eyes like I do with most cars, untill then my respect for the car is just what it was for the 3rd gen, regardless of a little boost in power their still poor cars, the 2nd gen was the last real performance eclipse, and we're never going to see one like it again now that the evo is out. The car is nothing more than a secretary hauler now, and even the 50hp bump doesnt change my mind about that....

as far as the maxima vs. eclipse things goes:

the eclipse they tested was a 6MT. The Eclipse has a weight that is more similar to the 2002/2003 nissan maxima's which in 6MT form ran mid 14's @ 98mph. So it is not suprise that the Eclipse which has more displacement by .3L and a much more agressive gearing is is a bit faster... Plus, whats to say that Mitsu did not underrate the hp?

I do agree though, the 2nd gen was the last "real" eclipse... I am just pretty impressed with the times this car is knocking out.. Its just sad that they are already having problems with the car before it hits showroom floors
    Last edited by DTR rex; 06-08-2005 at 09:38 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Its just sad that they are already having problems with the car before it hits showroom floors
    well if the 3g eclipse didnt have to suck so bad.... although i have heard of some nicely done versions of it.
    Trek mountain bike (with front AND rear suspension!)
    Zero skateboard

I went and looked at one of these the other day and I must say I kind of like them. Then again I like the look of the '06 WRX/STI grill Call me crazy or whatever, but I like both. As far as power goes -- a friend of mine thinks they'll run high-13s out of the box and I think he's nuts. Looks is all about personal preference and, well, I guess we'll wait to see what they run at the track in stock form.

Oh and magazine numbers are corrected for elevation, wind, etc.

Tony

Still for the shemales
    - Local Riceist

Mitsubishi is sharing the Eclipse platform with the Galant and Endeavor, two large vehicles, to keep costs down. As long as this continues, the Eclipse will never be as popular with the tuner crowd as it once was. I talked to a Mitsubishi rep at the ROTW where they were showing new Eclipses and told him how disappointed I was with it, that it should be small, turbo, and AWD. He pointed to the EVO IX.

Quote Originally Posted by bone138
    Mitsubishi is sharing the Eclipse platform with the Galant and Endeavor, two large vehicles, to keep costs down. As long as this continues, the Eclipse will never be as popular with the tuner crowd as it once was. I talked to a Mitsubishi rep at the ROTW where they were showing new Eclipses and told him how disappointed I was with it, that it should be small, turbo, and AWD. He pointed to the EVO IX.
    I guess the salesman has a point as well too. Those who want the turbo thing should look towards the evo. The older crown who wants something more comfy would like the eclipse. There wouldn't be roomin the lineup for 2 turbocharged cars, and I dunno about you, but I'd rather have the evo hanging around that I would a turbocharged eclipse. Each car fulfills a purpose in the lineup imo...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

People didn't buy DSMs for what they were. They bought them for what they could become after mods. If they'd released a DSM with a 16g, FMIC, 6spd, and 20 psi boost factory (like the Evo), it would be an unstoppable sales monster.

I'm past 30 so I am the "old" crowd. I did want something more substantial than a standard Eclipse so look what I bought instead. Subaru is the only company that realizes what grown-up speed freaks like!

What are you going to mod on a 4g Eclipse? Exhaust for 2 hp? Intake for 0 hp? I mean, really, how is it going to get any faster? Nawwws?
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M
    People didn't buy DSMs for what they were. They bought them for what they could become after mods. If they'd released a DSM with a 16g, FMIC, 6spd, and 20 psi boost factory (like the Evo), it would be an unstoppable sales monster.
    You're right. A fat, heavy, FWD, NA car is not very appealling to anyone who's into modifying cars for performance. At least if they kept it lightweight and easily upgradeable it would be more attractive. I don't think Mitsubishi has a small, entry-level two-door anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by John M

I'm past 30 so I am the "old" crowd. I did want something more substantial than a standard Eclipse so look what I bought instead. Subaru is the only company that realizes what grown-up speed freaks like!

What are you going to mod on a 4g Eclipse? Exhaust for 2 hp? Intake for 0 hp? I mean, really, how is it going to get any faster? Nawwws?
    I think the reason though why we don't see more modable cara from these companies though is because they perhaps think that VERY FEW people actually mod their cars, and if they do, warranty = void, so there is no point providing a car that could even be a basis for a real performance rocket like the DSM's of yesteryear were.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Sat in one yesterday, not really for me but I see it being a big seller.

All the ladies will be rushing out to buy them. Well that is if they are making them in AT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.