as usual fun stories: day of the mercedes (and one TT)...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on as usual fun stories: day of the mercedes (and one TT)... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; driving on the palisades, I'm right behind a TT when he manages to make a right, fly by some traffic, ...

as usual fun stories: day of the mercedes (and one TT)...

driving on the palisades, I'm right behind a TT when he manages to make a right, fly by some traffic, cut someone off and get back in the left lane. As Im trying to catch up with him after traffic clears, we are nearing a real twisty section and the roadster handles all the turns like a pro, while i feel each bit of body roll with my stock sways. Needless to say roadsters were meant to take the turns. Afterwards on the NJT, I pass a debadged mercedes and the guy speeds up nearly on my bumper. He is sitting way back with his arm fully outstretched on the wheel (low rider position, no control). I drop it in 4th from 5th and we both take off, I almost immediately put 5-6 cars on him from 65~95 before I move into the middle lane and engage cruise control. After totally embarassing him in his debadged benz, he eventually catches up to my cruising speed and proceeds to pass me, I look over and he is all business, not even a glance. Im just cruising at 70mph and all of a sudden when he is 1 car ahead of me, he takes off and goes ~90mph.

Sorry buddy, but you already failed, I hope you debadged a slower car to make it look faster than the other way, because it'd only make you look that much worse.

Then as I'm on the GSP, some SLKxxx AMG comes flying up on my six, switches over and flys by me while i was cruising as usual (I dont maintain high speed races on public roads being that they are stupid, but will press the car as a test of power and acceleration for a short period of time). I get thru the upcoming toll faster and as a result im ahead of him again cruising. I see him racing up the left lane again, take it off CC and drop it in 4th ~70mph. I wait till he is about 1/2 of my car back and pedal to the medal. He looks over and right back on the road, signifying a test. from 70 - 100mph the cars were front end to front end, I break off and resume speed, and he continues flying so fast, I fail to make out what model it exactly was. All i know is it was a SLKxxx and said AMG on it, convertible. Needless to say after those two tests of the WRX, I didnt care how many Altimas, Saabs, and Neons flew by me as i cruised at 70. My day was already made.

-c
    Last edited by fengshui; 10-06-2002 at 04:17 PM.
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Only car I know that matches your description is the SLK32 AMG.

3.2L V6
    349HP
    332lb/ft
    3200lbs

And you stayed tied with him from 70-100mph?

And your only performance mod is MBC@15.5psi? Oh, and K&N filter, how could I forget that!

Wow, I'm very impressed! I guess that just goes to show that a nearly stock WRX is also extremely fast from a roll!!

Even assuming the AMG was a ricer sticker and it was actually the SLK320:
    3.2L V6
    215HP
    229lb/ft
    3100lbs

I'm still impressed that a 70-100mph race ended in a tie.

Finally, the runt of the litter is the SLK230:
    2.3L I4
    192HP
    200lb/ft
    3050lbs

Stock WRX would probably be able to beat this 70-100mph so this one isn't likely to be the one you saw.

If it was the SLK32 AMG, great kill!!! The more I hear about the WRX, the more I start to realize just how unbeatable it is! Imagine if you had raced him from a stop, you would have destroyed him!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

I kept with the AMG car and destroyed the debadged mercedes hard top. Just telling like it is. It was a way fast car and I was surprised myself. Not sure if he knew how to drive it, always a possibility. Need less to say I didnt beat him, but if anything he was pulling ahead like 1 foot / second at most. For the price difference, Id say "Not bad"

-c
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Hehe, bet he wishes he'd saved himself $40K and bought the WRX instead!
    2002 RSX Type S

hehe he probably doesnt care because im sure that thing makes coffee in the morning and automatically shaves you too.

-c

Believe it or not, we had a guy who owns an SLK32 come to a couple of our RSX meets (real nice guy, young but not at ALL cocky). I was actually a little dissapointed with the interior but that is pretty subjective and the ONLY negative thing I could possibly say about that car. Let's just say it COMPLETELY annihilated my RSX-S on any possible type of performance competition you could think of.
    2002 RSX Type S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.