rex vs. GSR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on rex vs. GSR within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; SO i'm taking my son and his friend home last night , and a t a corner they say, "oh ...

rex vs. GSR

SO i'm taking my son and his friend home last night , and a t a corner they say, "oh theres so-and -so with his bad a$$ GSR...
    i looked , saw a hondaish looking car with a stupid looking aluminum wing on it. Chuckled and thought "kids...LOL)
    I turn and this kid turns behind me and follows me at a respectful distance to the next light....i didnt look cause i really didnt wnat to race and set a bad example for my son. UNTIL,,,,the kid revved on me....it sounded soooo pathetic.....anyway, light changes..i get a GREAT launch...and smoked him....i mean he was LOST ...the roads were wet and i even slipped it a bit coming out......i felt so bad,,,, but soo good at the sae time...LOL...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You did set a bad example for your son.
    But good kill never the less.

Congrats on the win. I'm really curious...how old is your son, and what was his reaction?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

he is 17......and was thrilled! He cant wait to get to school tomorrow and rub the guys face in it, because i guess the guy talks a lot of smack about his car. I told my son to be cool, and not run on about it htough.
    He does like to ride with me.......and i always do my best to be safe, although last night was on a street, there werent many people around......like noone but us.....i realise it was a bad thing to do. But hey.....i AM human
    DML

Within certain limits, I think it's cool for a father and son to share something as crazy as a street race. It puts you both at the same level. My dad tells me stories of races and crazy/stupid stuff he did when he was my age, but not once did I experience any of it with him. In short, you're a cool dad
    Fahd

THANKS.....i like to think so anyway!!!
    DML

hahahaha great stuff

I don't think laying smack down on rice is setting a bad example.

"hondaish" i like that one

and WRXin I love your new avatar too

Originally posted by wombat

and WRXin I love your new avatar too
    Thanks...that's my future ex-wife
    Fahd

Originally posted by DarkMoonLord
    he is 17......and was thrilled! He cant wait to get to school tomorrow and rub the guys face in it, because i guess the guy talks a lot of smack about his car. I told my son to be cool, and not run on about it htough.
    He does like to ride with me.......and i always do my best to be safe, although last night was on a street, there werent many people around......like noone but us.....i realise it was a bad thing to do. But hey.....i AM human
    DML
    This isn't meant to be negative, but what happens when your son decides to go street racing? I mean, its cool for dad, so why not me? Are you going to get mad?

I am asking just because I wonder what I'll do when that time comes. There are plenty of things that I've done and still do that I'd never want my child to do...what do you think your reaction will be when the boy comes home and says "dad, I just beat an ITR in a street race. he had me until 70 in 3rd and then I went by him like he was standing still until I shut down at 110mph."

Like I said, don't take this the wrong way - I'm not questioning your parenting skills or even your choice (like I'd have a right). Just "what would you do?"
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

wow smokey thats a difficult and complicated question, as are most regarding the upbringing of a 17 year old male ! My thoughts on this are myriad and somewhat jumbled so hang with me ok?
    I guess my thought is, he would most likely be doing it anyway, as he is very much into cars ,(better that than drugs and drinking and many other things that dont mix well with cars!), so while i realise that it is no way ever safe to street race, it CAN however be done with discretion. I dont race at every light, or every little riced out car that comes along. I dont do it in populated areas, and DO exercise as much safety as possible when doing something like this. If i can impart these standards to him, rather than having him out running ALL the time, he will be that much better off.
    When he does come home boasting of a sweet kill, i'll ask him "are you NUTS?", severely admonish him of the dangers of street racing and then heartily congratulate him on the victory!
    Perhaps not the best parent out there.....but one who is raising a son who is (so far) out of trouble and has a good head on his shoulders, he is a much better person at his age than i was,
    Peace
    DML

Like I said, I wasn't questioning your decision/actions or anything...I have no right to do that, nor would I ever over a message board! Just curious I guess, trying to put myself into your shoes for a moment.

And hey, kids are kids...they will do whatever they want to do, right? As you pointed out, you have to educate them I guess and hope they make the best decision possible. Listen to me, I'm only 24 But I think its the truth - map out scenario's for them, showing them positives and benefits and hope they make the right choice!

Anyway, I think its pretty cool in a way. You tell him the problems associated with street racing - and you so rightly pointed out that he probably does it anyway. At least he's seeing you do it in a very safe manner. My pops and I talk about cars all the time and he only used to stomp on his GTO when he was getting on the freeway...so while I'd never share any of my street encounters with him, he instilled safety first and I listened.

Thanks, like I said, just wanted to put myself in your shoes for a minute. Now what to do when they come home piss drunk?
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

LOL...do what MY dad did......wake him up at 6 am with banging kitchen pans and make him get out of the sack and do yardwork while puking in the bushes!
    DML

I wouldnt worry about him. I'm 17, turn 18 in a month exactly woot. I know from my friends and the kids i know there are 2 groups of kids. the "my car just gets me from point a to point b." or the type i am and your child is. where cars are a hobby, a passion. From what i see, the type that see cars as a passion are more likely to race off the line, but do know the limitations of their car. I have friends that are doin 100 in crowded areas in their SUVS not knowing anything about their cars capacity. I know that if my car goes over 75 on a moist highway my car will hydroplane. We also are IMO less likely to drink and drive/ drugs. But thats a kid on kid basis. Knowing that you are somewhat "cool" with it and know what you are talking about will cause him probably to be more reasonable with it and talk to you about it, and respect your opinion. It isnt something to get mad at him for, because something i dont think many parents understand is that it is better for your child to know that you are understanding about issues then some sentinel. A passion for his car and modding it if he has a job or gets a car sucks money from his wallet. For those who say thats a waste of money, if he has excess spending money, it could be spent on alcahol and drugs. Good for you IMO, it brings openness and thats something you want, there are few things that my dad and I get along about, the only time we dont disagree or eventually start yellin about are cars/sports/the restuarnt he owns and I work at. Just let him know the danger and to be reasonable, but dont talk down to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

yeah good point about drink driving etc

I know very few car fanatics who would even consider jeapodising their baby by doing something as stupid as that
    also here in oz insurance it totally void if you drink and drive
    so it really is dumb

Originally posted by wombat
    yeah good point about drink driving etc

I know very few car fanatics who would even consider jeapodising their baby by doing something as stupid as that
    also here in oz insurance it totally void if you drink and drive
    so it really is dumb
    man, thats an awsome law. here you get your liscense suspended, but how effective is that really? not very. It is a really stupid, selfish thing to do, I for one do not drink/drugs at all, never have. The damage that crap like that can cause is rediculous and how easy it is to be avoided, kinda makes ya lose some faith in humanity
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast