STi vs supacharged s2k ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

This is a discussion on STi vs supacharged s2k ? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Did you race em yet...

  1. #16
    Registered User ScoobVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,900
    Did you race em yet
    - Local Riceist

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,903
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I would assume that if he is running a comptech s/c and is fully tuned, he has sense enough to run decent tires. I just cant see him winning a 1/4mile run OR a rolling run... 0-60 though, yes.


    go race already dammit!

    I think it's safe to assume he's on decent tires, but decent tires for drag racing?

  4. #18
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,590
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by llhype12ll
    here one s2k with vortech SC dyno:
    Good god, that thing has no torque!!!

    Edit: It doesn't even hit 200whp until 6500rpm. Talk about a ishty powerband. This is a prime case of people being impressed by a dyno queen.
    Last edited by Trainrex; 06-06-2005 at 05:22 AM.

  5. #19
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex

    Edit: It doesn't even hit 200whp until 6500rpm. Talk about a ishty powerband. This is a prime case of people being impressed by a dyno queen.
    1) yes, it does not hit 200whp until 6500rpm BUT you must also take the time to consider that its redline does not come up until 9000rpms in which it only continually increases in power. So basically its powerband allows it to create 70whp within 2500rpms and its not like 6500rpms is nearing redline or anything for the car.. You must account for the fact that it still has another 2500rpms to go. Think of it this way: WRX redline is 6800rpms so minus the 2500rpms and that leaves you with 4300rpms. So in accordence to your statement of the S2k, you must be just as unimpressed with a VF34 wrx since they dont cross the 200whp mark until 4000-4500rpms as well. I mean sh!t, in comparison they both have ~ 2500rpm left before redline.

    2) Dyno queen? What constitutes a dyno queen in your book? An S2k making 270whp is hardly a dyno queen, and does not have a whole lot of trouble getting that to the ground considering an S2k pushing those numbers on that s/c run into the 12's.
    A dyno queen would be more aptly used to describe a Supra for instance... to help further explain this I will use the old and classic joke.
    - What do a 400whp, 500whp, and 600whp supra all have in common? They all run low 12's
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  6. #20
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,590
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    1) yes, it does not hit 200whp until 6500rpm BUT you must also take the time to consider that its redline does not come up until 9000rpms in which it only continually increases in power. So basically its powerband allows it to create 70whp within 2500rpms and its not like 6500rpms is nearing redline or anything for the car.. You must account for the fact that it still has another 2500rpms to go. Think of it this way: WRX redline is 6800rpms so minus the 2500rpms and that leaves you with 4300rpms. So in accordence to your statement of the S2k, you must be just as unimpressed with a VF34 wrx since they dont cross the 200whp mark until 4000-4500rpms as well. I mean sh!t, in comparison they both have ~ 2500rpm left before redline.

    2) Dyno queen? What constitutes a dyno queen in your book? An S2k making 270whp is hardly a dyno queen, and does not have a whole lot of trouble getting that to the ground considering an S2k pushing those numbers on that s/c run into the 12's.
    A dyno queen would be more aptly used to describe a Supra for instance... to help further explain this I will use the old and classic joke.
    - What do a 400whp, 500whp, and 600whp supra all have in common? They all run low 12's
    A dyno queen to me is when people only look at the peak HP only and say it makes good power. People always get impressed by that magical peak HP number, often not looking at the TQ numbers, and the power curve. Unfortunately I don't have dyno sheets, but my rex comes on like a bear at 3000 rpm, hits the rev limiter at 7250, and pulls like a bear the whole way. Providing good power for 4250 rpm is a good powerband in my book. You also forgot that the S2000 in question makes virtually no torque. No matter how you slice it, good power for 2000-2500rpm is a peaky powerband, and only looks good when you look at the peak hp. God forbid that car gets caught outside of it's powerband. At that point it will be pulling like a Civic. Until the S2000 hits it's powerband, the car with the broad power curve will be pulling. Bench racing is fun!!!

    Edit: I was also under the impression that our redline was 7000RPM. My redline was increased to 7250 RPM with my Street tuner.

  7. #21
    Registered User 4Gsixty3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

    A dyno queen would be more aptly used to describe a Supra for instance... to help further explain this I will use the old and classic joke.
    - What do a 400whp, 500whp, and 600whp supra all have in common? They all run low 12's
    + 1
    Lancer Evolution V///

    439 WHP / 362 TQ TTR 50 Trim on pump @ 23psi.
    11.6 @ 120mph 1.6 60' (11/11/06)

  8. #22
    Registered User TurboWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    3,109
    ^^^Hey 4g, sick modlist bro.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

  9. #23
    Registered User 4Gsixty3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    ^^^Hey 4g, sick modlist bro.
    Thanks! u gotta try out BR alcohol Kit!! best upgrade so far!!
    Lancer Evolution V///

    439 WHP / 362 TQ TTR 50 Trim on pump @ 23psi.
    11.6 @ 120mph 1.6 60' (11/11/06)

  10. #24
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    A dyno queen to me is when people only look at the peak HP only and say it makes good power. People always get impressed by that magical peak HP number, often not looking at the TQ numbers, and the power curve. Unfortunately I don't have dyno sheets, but my rex comes on like a bear at 3000 rpm, hits the rev limiter at 7250, and pulls like a bear the whole way. Providing good power for 4250 rpm is a good powerband in my book. You also forgot that the S2000 in question makes virtually no torque. No matter how you slice it, good power for 2000-2500rpm is a peaky powerband, and only looks good when you look at the peak hp. God forbid that car gets caught outside of it's powerband. At that point it will be pulling like a Civic. Until the S2000 hits it's powerband, the car with the broad power curve will be pulling. Bench racing is fun!!!

    Edit: I was also under the impression that our redline was 7000RPM. My redline was increased to 7250 RPM with my Street tuner.
    lol, you more or less avoided the whole point of the mathematics that I posted above.. but oh well.

    in reference to your statement of the S2k getting caught out of its powerband.... The S2k revs rather quickly, so it does not take long to move itself into a more "pleasant" part of the rpm range.. and an S2k being caught off its band is not different than a wrx gettting caught off its powerband. When my wrx was stock I would get pulled on the most ridiculously slow cars if I was out of my powerband and didnt get a launch.

    I will give you the fact that the torque is damn low, but that does not sway the original argument of its breaking 200whp at a point in the RPM band that still leaves it a good deal of room to continue to its peak hp. 6500 might seem seem high to you, but there is still just over 2500rpms left in that baby before it needs a gear change again. How is that any different from a wrx making similar whp. A VF34 wrx will break that 200whp mark much sooner than an S2k would, but JUST LIKE THE S2000 the VF34 wrx only has about 2500rpms left before it reaches its redline from the point in which it crosses 200whp.

    We are comparing apples and oranges here, but the fact remains that your point of it not crossing 200whp until that specific mark is useless in aiding your point, and in fact, hurts your point.

    As for the dyno queen... Different people can have different ideas of what something means of course. Although, a majority of people that I encounter would consider a dyno queen having to do with making large hp #'s but not being able to do much with it. If 2 cars are both making 300whp and one has a nice flat curve, and the other shoots up (like the S2k does) nearing the end in order to acheive that 300whp that does not make that car a dyno queen.. So what, its torque curve, and power curve might not have been stable, but it still gets that power out, and gets it to the ground.
    As I said earlier, Supra's are known as the masters of being dyno queens.. why is this? because of a lack in a stable curve? No. It is more due to the fact that they can be pushing 650whp and only be running 11's, when the one next to it is only pushing 450whp and pulls off the same time. The supra has trouble getting that power down, and is known for showing off on the dyno with big numbers... that is what a dyno queen generally constitutes... IMO of course.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  11. #25
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,590
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    lol, you more or less avoided the whole point of the mathematics that I posted above.. but oh well.

    in reference to your statement of the S2k getting caught out of its powerband.... The S2k revs rather quickly, so it does not take long to move itself into a more "pleasant" part of the rpm range.. and an S2k being caught off its band is not different than a wrx gettting caught off its powerband. When my wrx was stock I would get pulled on the most ridiculously slow cars if I was out of my powerband and didnt get a launch.

    I will give you the fact that the torque is damn low, but that does not sway the original argument of its breaking 200whp at a point in the RPM band that still leaves it a good deal of room to continue to its peak hp. 6500 might seem seem high to you, but there is still just over 2500rpms left in that baby before it needs a gear change again. How is that any different from a wrx making similar whp. A VF34 wrx will break that 200whp mark much sooner than an S2k would, but JUST LIKE THE S2000 the VF34 wrx only has about 2500rpms left before it reaches its redline from the point in which it crosses 200whp.

    We are comparing apples and oranges here, but the fact remains that your point of it not crossing 200whp until that specific mark is useless in aiding your point, and in fact, hurts your point.

    As for the dyno queen... Different people can have different ideas of what something means of course. Although, a majority of people that I encounter would consider a dyno queen having to do with making large hp #'s but not being able to do much with it. If 2 cars are both making 300whp and one has a nice flat curve, and the other shoots up (like the S2k does) nearing the end in order to acheive that 300whp that does not make that car a dyno queen.. So what, its torque curve, and power curve might not have been stable, but it still gets that power out, and gets it to the ground.
    As I said earlier, Supra's are known as the masters of being dyno queens.. why is this? because of a lack in a stable curve? No. It is more due to the fact that they can be pushing 650whp and only be running 11's, when the one next to it is only pushing 450whp and pulls off the same time. The supra has trouble getting that power down, and is known for showing off on the dyno with big numbers... that is what a dyno queen generally constitutes... IMO of course.
    I'm not sure what point your "mathematics" were supposed to make. Considering you don't hold much stock in a broad power curve, obviously you don't understand the need for one, and are just impressed with a high peak HP number. Yes we have a different idea of a dyno queen. My idea of a dyno queen has to do with lack of driveabilty that is sacrificed for a large number. To me, dyno queen is not a compliment. We have dyno queens in our circle track racing also. Some guys boast 20hp more than others, but often get pulled by the car making less power for a longer period of time. When we dyno our engines, we spend alot of time smoothing the power curve out to offer good reliable power from the beginning of the straightaway to the end. A prime example is last week. We kept restarting next to a car that boasts "big steam", but his engine is peaky. Restart after restart we pulled him by a car at the end of the chute. He may have had more peak HP, but we had good power the whole way. Yes that S2000 gets the power out, and gets it to the ground, but if you can't put it to the ground for long, what's the point? That is one of the main problems the S2000 is critisized for. From my understanding, a VF34 Stage IV car (which is similar power to a lightly modded STI) will put out good power from just above 3000 RPM to 7250 or even higher if you raise the limiter. I often bounce off the limiter by accident. I know by 3300 or so, I'm stuck in my seat, and I believe the STI spools quicker because of the extra displacement.

    To summarize, bench racing sucks, and I will now withdraw. Take the S2000, and the STI to the track, get some slips, and post em up!!!

  12. #26
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I'm not sure what point your "mathematics" were supposed to make. Considering you don't hold much stock in a broad power curve, obviously you don't understand the need for one, and are just impressed with a high peak HP number. Yes we have a different idea of a dyno queen. My idea of a dyno queen has to do with lack of driveabilty that is sacrificed for a large number. To me, dyno queen is not a compliment. We have dyno queens in our circle track racing also. Some guys boast 20hp more than others, but often get pulled by the car making less power for a longer period of time. When we dyno our engines, we spend alot of time smoothing the power curve out to offer good reliable power from the beginning of the straightaway to the end. A prime example is last week. We kept restarting next to a car that boasts "big steam", but his engine is peaky. Restart after restart we pulled him by a car at the end of the chute. He may have had more peak HP, but we had good power the whole way. Yes that S2000 gets the power out, and gets it to the ground, but if you can't put it to the ground for long, what's the point? That is one of the main problems the S2000 is critisized for. From my understanding, a VF34 Stage IV car (which is similar power to a lightly modded STI) will put out good power from just above 3000 RPM to 7250 or even higher if you raise the limiter. I often bounce off the limiter by accident. I know by 3300 or so, I'm stuck in my seat, and I believe the STI spools quicker because of the extra displacement.

    To summarize, bench racing sucks, and I will now withdraw. Take the S2000, and the STI to the track, get some slips, and post em up!!!
    I see your point of how long the engine is going to hold that power, I never argued that... It was more in reference to the fact that although the S2k is crossing a 200whp mark later in an rpm band, it has much more rpms after that point (similar to the amount the wrx would would cover) relative to the point at which it crosses and when it hits redline.

    This is stupid though. We are not accomplishing anything here, I vote for a withdraw as well. Just race the damn car so we can see what happens!!
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  13. #27
    Registered User wrxpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Apple Valley, California (the boonies)
    Posts
    306
    Alright I ran him last night..well s2k's are all topend...First run from a dig I got a really good launch and jumped ahead a good 2.5 cars and it stayed like that and at like 90 he was still behind me so at 100 I stopped..Than we did a 20mph roll and once again I pulled on him and got like two cars and it stayed like that so i stopped at 100 again. After the race he was like just wait till I get AEM haha time togo stage 2. I think if we wouldve gone past 100 he wouldve passed me so we gotta do a highway run. I was pretty happy because I thought he was going to smoke me
    07 S2000..vortech..kw..comptech..volk

    previous
    05 Evo traded
    05 S2000 rip
    05 STi traded

  14. #28
    Registered User 4Gsixty3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxpaul
    Alright I ran him last night..well s2k's are all topend...First run from a dig I got a really good launch and jumped ahead a good 2.5 cars and it stayed like that and at like 90 he was still behind me so at 100 I stopped..Than we did a 20mph roll and once again I pulled on him and got like two cars and it stayed like that so i stopped at 100 again. After the race he was like just wait till I get AEM haha time togo stage 2. I think if we wouldve gone past 100 he wouldve passed me so we gotta do a highway run. I was pretty happy because I thought he was going to smoke me
    as predicted!! Nice Kill!!
    Lancer Evolution V///

    439 WHP / 362 TQ TTR 50 Trim on pump @ 23psi.
    11.6 @ 120mph 1.6 60' (11/11/06)

  15. #29
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,793
    wow im shocked about the roll race but nice kill!!
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •