Magnum RT question...

This is a discussion on Magnum RT question... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This isn't really a kill but it got me wondering: I was out driving today and was coming up on ...

Magnum RT question...

This isn't really a kill but it got me wondering:

I was out driving today and was coming up on a red light with a row of cars in the left lane and the right lane open. This lane ends about 1/8 mile after the light, so there is ample time to get over (nice speed limit too - 80km/h.) Anyhow, as I pull into the right line a guy in a Magnum RT pulls infront of me into the lane as well. So now I'm hoping this guy is going to gun it so that we can make it over. The light turns and I hear him spin his tires a bit (some light rain had just ended.) So I go about 80% throttle in 1st and 2nd and stay about 2 car lengths behind. I stabbed the throttle at the top of 2nd and into 3rd to see if I could close the distance and found that I could rather easily. We are both well past the cars in the left lane and merge over at around 110-120km/h. At this point we both back off due to some really slow cars (doing about 70km/h in an 80.)

Now I'm sure he wasn't gunning it 100% but he certainly wasn't taking it easy either. I looked up the specs online and was amazed to see that the Magnum RT puts out 340hp and 390lb-ft! I did a little more research and found the RT traps between 97-100mph but has an average 0-60 time (granted it weighs almost 4200lbs.)

So what do you think? The STi should be able to slowly pull past a Magnum RT at WOT right? From a stop I know it should be no contest. I'm still waiting to go to the track but my STi seems to be running strong, I'm at about 500ft or so, and running 94 octane, so I would guess (if I can drive ) that I might see 102-103 traps. God I wish the track wasn't 2 hours away.

Edit: I shouldn't really post at 3am. I'm not even really sure the point of this post...just trying to kill some time and get sleepy. Damn insomnia... Sorry guys.
    Last edited by Digitalfiend; 05-30-2005 at 01:10 AM.
    2005 Aspen White STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Walking a 340hp Magnum in an STi?
    Should be easy.

Now that you're going to sleep, here is another high HP family wagon:
    HSV 365hp AWD Avalanche.

Night night
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 55714_00mg.jpg  
    Silver Wagon Club

nice runs.. I should think that it would be a pretty close from a roll on race, since those cars are torquey customers...

The autop trans ratios probably would not be too friendly when racing from a roll though.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Quote Originally Posted by archiebrown
    Walking a 340hp Magnum in an STi?
    Should be easy.

Now that you're going to sleep, here is another high HP family wagon:
    HSV 365hp AWD Avalanche.

Night night
    Wow that is probably one of the nicest looking wagons I've seen. Damn that is pretty sharp. I wouldn't pay $70k for it but never the less...
    2005 Aspen White STi

Aren't they going to make the Magnum in AWD soon?
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

they already have the rt awd...been out since the '05 model. we have the '06 awd rt

nice highway cruiser.....gearing and weight kill the performance of what seems like some real good numbers......the sti should have no problem with it, even from a roll...the wrx on the other hand will have problems with it from a roll

the mods for this car is coming fast....already a blower being proto-typed
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Quote Originally Posted by capt'n'caveman
    the sti should have no problem with it, even from a roll...the wrx on the other hand will have problems with it from a roll
    First I'd like to say they're really nice cars - I like the styling a lot. That said, I raced one on the interstate a couple months ago. One pulled up next to me and took off, then slowed down to get next to me. He hit it and got about a car, then I hit it and pulled the car back and started to slowly walk away. At the time I only had a boost controller on my stock WRX. Maybe that was the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Brents
    Aren't they going to make the Magnum in AWD soon?
    Slightly OT but I saw a 300C with an AWD badge on it today. I didn't know they were making them!

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    So what do you think? The STi should be able to slowly pull past a Magnum RT at WOT right?
    Well I have a 300C that weighs close to the same but I am making more like 370hp/400tq with some minor upgrades. I put a couple lengths on an STi pretty easy on the freeway over the weekend from 75mph to about 110mph. A 5.7L Hemi with all that TQ is pretty nasty on an open road, my car pulls like a mutha on the freeway.

By the way...they do make AWD for the 300C and the Magnum RT and SXT
    Last edited by mball; 06-01-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mball
    Well I have a 300C that weighs close to the same but I am making more like 370hp/400tq with some minor upgrades. I put a couple lengths on an STi pretty easy on the freeway over the weekend from 75mph to about 110mph. A 5.7L Hemi with all that TQ is pretty nasty on an open road, my car pulls like a mutha on the freeway.

By the way...they do make AWD for the 300C and the Magnum RT and SXT
    Now 40hp more can make a significant difference, especially depending on where it's made in the powerband. It's funny but I didn't realize that the 300C and Magnum share the same engine.

All I know is that at least up to 120km/h I still had enough throttle left to creep up to him fairly quickly. Then again, who knows if he was mashing it (but he was definitely getting on it.) That's why Cobb Stg 1 will be coming in the next few months and then a TBE. That should be sufficient for a while.
    2005 Aspen White STi

They should make the 6.1L 420HP Hemi standard.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Beanboy
    They should make the 6.1L 420HP Hemi standard.

-B
    No they shouldn't!!!
    2005 Aspen White STi