1st kill...Upgraded Turbo'd Grand National
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 1st kill...Upgraded Turbo'd Grand National within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was itching to run someone...Sooo bad. I almost ran a bone stock Evo just cuz. As I am ...

1st kill...Upgraded Turbo'd Grand National

So I was itching to run someone...Sooo bad. I almost ran a bone stock Evo just cuz.

As I am almost home I see this very clean grey grand national. I only thought they came in black but ???...So I see exhaust, gauges, etc...This guy is really eyeing me. I drop it
    in 2nd and look over. He I believe had some sort of torque converter or something because he somehow downshifted ...I thought those were all autos...

Well were off...These sti gears are really short so 2nd and 3rd are REAL quick...I bang through them and in 4th and 5th is where I proceeded to put CARS between us. By the middle of 5th I prolly had 5-7 cars...depending. We did it again to the same result.

I finally got to test her out...The first couple of gears are WAY too short. But they do keep her in the powerband.

Oh he said his mods were and upgraded turbo..I wanna say he said T-44 ???or maybe he said t-3 t-4 but I dont think so...He said he made around 350whp..thats not much for a GN.

Eh..the 1st of many for the year I hope...No losses....Oh and this was on pump so I was only around 380-390whp...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice run man! Those cars are hard to figure out sometime, never quite sure just how much is done to them. STi gears are short as hell in first and second, you can easily bounce off the rev limiter since the pull is so strong you just wanna stay in those gears haha. 4th and 5th gear pulls crazy with the SZ. Its funny driving in 6th and being able to drop into 5th and actually feel your back slam against the seat.
    2004 Cobra 500/501 SAE
    11.5 @ 120 hotlapped
    *Sold* 2004 STI 20g
    11.7 @ 116, 11.9 @ 118

J-H
    I would think that the GN just ran out of gearing....4th-5th you guys were in triple digit speeds right? I am not sure what the speed limit on those cars are...

In any case you have a sweet car....390 on pump is just insane

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

I Support ClubWRX
    I've missed your kill posts will!! Sounds like your baby is dialed in nicely
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Nice dude!!

I know exactly what you mean with the gears. When Timdog let me drive his car (for the rest of you, Timdog's car is basically an untuned version of 13secwrx's - both have SZ49 turbos, JDM 6 speeds, and FMICs with supporting mods) I can defiintly agree with the short gears. First gear just didnt exist. I wouldn't even try to hit full boost in it. 2nd you could, but as soon as you hit 2nd, you shift into 3rd, and as soon as you shift into 3rd, you're shifting into 4th, and by the time you hit 4th from the top of 3rd, you are already just shy of 90mph.

Based on my experience driving Tim's car, his 4th gear felt like my 2nd gear, and he was untuned on 16lbs. I can't imagine what the response in 4th gear for you is like. I really wish I took that ride at the BBQ meet.

Anyway, I can imagine that the car is SICK. Enjoy it, and I bet the 49lb turbo will hold you over pretty nicely for the GT35.

Side note: the CF trunk looked good!

Sorry I started carrying on, I just get really excited about fast cars.

OH! before I forget.

External waste gate > me

Additionally, the sound of induction on these cars with big turbos and FMICs are something else. The exhaust used to be addictive on my car, but hearing the sucking in of air on the FMIC and giant turbo is just out of control. Oh my god I want a fast car right now

P.S: Will, I'm willing to bet that your speedometer moves like your tach. The thing just flies upwards, it's a beautiful thing to watch.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13secwrx
    Eh..the 1st of many for the year I hope...No losses....Oh and this was on pump so I was only around 380-390whp...
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

387 on pump. Don't be modest
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Hey Will I'll will be out hunting you on DPA tonight. Watch out for my stock Evo.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Properly tuned TE-44 turboed GN or Turbo Regal which is probably what you found since it wasnt black will run put it in the 11's. Crazy thing bout Gn's is the will put down say 350whp like he said he did but have like 500 whtq lol. But from a roll your probably trapping at least where he is, should have no problem pulling on him. From a dig tho, Gn's and TR's can brake boost and build boost and the line and probaly come close to out 60 footing our awd advantage. SAME THING as a GN just different trim and colors. Its on the smaller side of the turbo upgrades, its good for someone that wants quick spool on the street still COULD get by with the stock convertor. Further in the 11's if he has all the supporting mods, fmi, ported heads, cam etc etc. I know my Gn gets really hairy over say like 110, I dont feel comfortable driving it at those speeds at all lol. It does one thing GOES IN A STRAIGHT LINE. Car has just regular regal front discs with drums in the rear and regular regal suspension. I feel soo much safer at speed in my wrx, wouldnt chose to be in anything else at those speeds. My .02's

Don
    Don-
    03' Sedona Red Pearl WRX **FOR SALE**
    Built axis 2.5, Rotated GT35R kit .82 with a JDM Six spd 500+awhp on race 400awhp on pump
    2007 Mustang GT 5 spd
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard M109R

It's good to hear some input from a GN owner, thanks

FYI....Grand Nationals did only come in Black/auto. GNX's are even more rare, number in the hundreds I believe. The more common, and I believe what you encountered was the Turbo Regal or "T-type". All very sweet cars.

nice Kill
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Quote Originally Posted by 13secwrx
    Oh and this was on pump so I was only around 380-390whp...
    Don't say only. Thats still a lot.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
    Don't say only. Thats still a lot.
    Umm...Yeah
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Nice kill!

you have to take me for a ride next time your out. I would have came out tonight but I was getting more goodies done to the shaggin wagon.
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

He said it was a GN...maybe he painted it ?...

oh and Will...I'll be out tonight...I aint hard to find...just stick your head out the window and listen.

Josh..the 6 speed is really short...

More kills tonight hopefully...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast