my stage 2 vs. 3000gt vr4?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on my stage 2 vs. 3000gt vr4? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; yesterday, i was on my way to the car wash from softball, windows down, I hear a loud exhaust rumble ...

my stage 2 vs. 3000gt vr4?

yesterday, i was on my way to the car wash from softball, windows down, I hear a loud exhaust rumble and check my sideview and it was a early-mid 90s looking 3000gt with a loud bov and big ass muffler, the guy rolls his tinted windows down, I see whole bunch of guages, he looks at me and gives me a thumbs up, i did same in return, doing about 55 he nails it before me but i dropped and went and i was slowy catching up, but cars in front made us slow down....so we both hold up traffic at 45 so we can get a longer stretch, so we go again at around 50, this time i nailed it at the same time, he got 1 car on me fast but as i was almost at the end of 3rd gear i was 1/2 car away, i hit 4th and he pulled 1/2 on me and i was catching up and started to pass him but not all the way cause we caught up to the cars in front of us......so gave eachother a friendly thumbs up and we our own ways.

his 3000 gt vr4 was debadged but it said GTO in the middle of the back of his car....does anyone know what that is?
    TXS Up-pipe, Cobb Stage 2, OBX TBE, MBC, vishnu pulley, Samco I/C hoses, Perrin Inlet hose, TXS TMIC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think the GTO is like the 97 and up model.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

VR4
    gto is what they called the vr4 elsewhere, such as UK and JPN. its always a vr4 in US from 91-99 (lots of ppl buy the GTO badge though, as you exerienced). a mid 90's vr4 will trap 101-02 or so and a BPU one with I/E and bost control will run 12's easy. However, these cars are hardly ever running at their best, which is exactly what you proved.
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

2005 Yamaha R1 Raven Black

It's easy to make 'em say GTO -- you take off the 3000 GT and just use the GT and an 0.

Their performance is all over the map these days. You never know how the car has been taken care of. FWIW, a friend bought a 93 Stealth with 150k miles on it. 2 days later I installed a MBC and we hit the track - 13.2 @ 104. Everything else was stock (and old).

My old car (in my sig) had stock turbos and a stock cat-back.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

There's a guy here in town that has Stealth and he has run 11s and makes well over 400AWHP. But he is now on his 4th tranny and there is no real tranny upgrade for these cars. Either the 6sp or 5spd and neither one lasts very long at anything above stock power levels.

Did the Stealth TT ever come in AWD like the VR4? my roommate swears they never made the Stealth in AWD.

Yes, the Stealth DID come with AWD with the turbos. Your roommate needs to read up a bit. Now , the VR4 could also have driver controlled variable exhaust note, and All wheel steering too!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

VR4
    the VR4 could also have driver controlled variable exhaust note
    = teh ghey

All wheel steering
    = teh win
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

Quote Originally Posted by VR4
    PHP Code:
    Quote:
    All wheel steering 

= teh win
    teh heavy as fcuk.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

VR4
    true dat
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

My buddy has a 95 awd stealth tt and it's pretty healthy making about 320 whp. Still waiting to run him in my sti . -scott

i heard that the vr4s power are held back by their weight. I remember reading an article in one of the mags. they did a story on the twin turbo cars that year, Supra, 3000gt vr4, rx-7 and 300Z.
    they rated from best down and it was
    1. Supra, teh obvious
    2. 300Z
    3. RX7
    4. vr4/stealth

they mentioned that the vr4 was sluggish for a TT, cuz of its weight and other stuff.
    the guy test driving gave the vr4 a thumb down compared to the others.

i remember they had a PROS and CONS list for all the cars.....For the Supra TT under CONS, the article read "umm, err, umm, well, errr, ummm......
    TXS Up-pipe, Cobb Stage 2, OBX TBE, MBC, vishnu pulley, Samco I/C hoses, Perrin Inlet hose, TXS TMIC

Time for me to post my standard reply to the "its too heavy" responses re: a Stealth/VR4. Yes, this is a text file on my PC that I save for these occasions:

-----

They're too heavy to handle well. Wait a minute, it pulls more lateral g's than a NSX, Supra, and C5. - http://stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p16.jpg

It managed to beat only the C5 in a slalom - and we all know how poorly C5's handle - http://stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p17.jpg

With that kind of weight, it must stop poorly too. Wat a minute, what's that? It beats the NSX and Viper in braking? It ties the C5 and is only 1 foot behind a Supra? Only 2 feet behind the Ferrari? Impossible! http://stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p21.jpg

Yep, those cars were too heavy to do anything well. It came in last in all the acceleration tests. Too bad it's so hard to make more power out of that engine. I mean, my peashooter 9b stock turbos managed 109 traps with a race weight of 4070 lbs - throw those numbers into a hp calculator and see what it makes.

-----

And to the people that think the active exhaust is a gimmick -- it's not. You can have a free-flowing exhaust capable of supporting 115 mph passes and then flip the switch and be as quiet as a Cadillac. Plus, the "quiet" mode will automatically switch to "loud" at WOT or past 3500 rpm. It's true that in stock form the switch makes hardly any difference in sound but when you do a downpipe & lose some cats, it's welcomed.

One of my videos (on my site in the sig) shows my car vs. a similarly-prepped Supra at the track. He trapped a whopping .5 mph faster than me. So much for the stereotype of poor top end power!

And don't start claiming I don't know anything about Supras. I built my brother's car (small single) and it does mid 11s at 124+ and still retained 100% drivability.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M
    Time for me to post my standard reply to the "its too heavy" responses re: a Stealth/VR4. Yes, this is a text file on my PC that I save for these occasions:

-----

They're too heavy to handle well. Wait a minute, it pulls more lateral g's than a NSX, Supra, and C5. - http://stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p16.jpg

It managed to beat only the C5 in a slalom - and we all know how poorly C5's handle - http://stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p17.jpg

With that kind of weight, it must stop poorly too. Wat a minute, what's that? It beats the NSX and Viper in braking? It ties the C5 and is only 1 foot behind a Supra? Only 2 feet behind the Ferrari? Impossible! http://stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p21.jpg

Yep, those cars were too heavy to do anything well. It came in last in all the acceleration tests. Too bad it's so hard to make more power out of that engine. I mean, my peashooter 9b stock turbos managed 109 traps with a race weight of 4070 lbs - throw those numbers into a hp calculator and see what it makes.

-----

And to the people that think the active exhaust is a gimmick -- it's not. You can have a free-flowing exhaust capable of supporting 115 mph passes and then flip the switch and be as quiet as a Cadillac. Plus, the "quiet" mode will automatically switch to "loud" at WOT or past 3500 rpm. It's true that in stock form the switch makes hardly any difference in sound but when you do a downpipe & lose some cats, it's welcomed.

One of my videos (on my site in the sig) shows my car vs. a similarly-prepped Supra at the track. He trapped a whopping .5 mph faster than me. So much for the stereotype of poor top end power!

And don't start claiming I don't know anything about Supras. I built my brother's car (small single) and it does mid 11s at 124+ and still retained 100% drivability.

Good input!! As i said, that was what I heard, plz dont take it as my opinion about the cars. I wanted one so badly back in 98. but couldnt afford it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by John M

-----

-----

I stand corected....the VR4 is teh best car in the world...when its not in the shop.

I drove one before I bought my ITR. I didn't think it was that bad....it was definately a heavy car, but it still handled well, but it "felt" heavy if that makes any sense. Only reason I didn't get it was because its a VERY VERY complicated car...its got LOTS of cool stuff..and its all prone to breaking down. The last thing I needed was a tempramental 10 year old car for daily driving. But I have to admit I DID think it was a pretty cool car.

I thought about getting one without all the "cool stuff" but the sales guy said if you're going to get a 3000GT, unless you get the VR4 with all its cool gadgets and problems, its just not worth it.

as for HP....a Mack truck makes like 500 HP and an insane amount of torque...doesn't mean you want to drive one.
    Last edited by blarg; 05-24-2005 at 08:18 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast