my stage 2 vs. 3000gt vr4? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on my stage 2 vs. 3000gt vr4? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; what color was this gto? and where in jersey was this? this kid i went to school w/ had one ...

what color was this gto? and where in jersey was this? this kid i went to school w/ had one and was allways raving about the car but never wanted to race me atleast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastrex
    what color was this gto? and where in jersey was this? this kid i went to school w/ had one and was allways raving about the car but never wanted to race me atleast.

it was green. in Paramus, bergen county
    TXS Up-pipe, Cobb Stage 2, OBX TBE, MBC, vishnu pulley, Samco I/C hoses, Perrin Inlet hose, TXS TMIC

VR4
    It's true that in stock form the switch makes hardly any difference in sound but when you do a downpipe & lose some cats, it's welcomed.
    wow, I had a stillen dp on my vr4 and never tried to switch back to tour exhaust. I just remembered that it made no diff when I was stock.
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

2005 Yamaha R1 Raven Black

The supra still gets the same reponses today for a con column, um, errr....
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    I stand corected....the VR4 is teh best car in the world...when its not in the shop.

I drove one before I bought my ITR. I didn't think it was that bad....it was definately a heavy car, but it still handled well, but it "felt" heavy if that makes any sense. Only reason I didn't get it was because its a VERY VERY complicated car...its got LOTS of cool stuff..and its all prone to breaking down. The last thing I needed was a tempramental 10 year old car for daily driving. But I have to admit I DID think it was a pretty cool car.

I thought about getting one without all the "cool stuff" but the sales guy said if you're going to get a 3000GT, unless you get the VR4 with all its cool gadgets and problems, its just not worth it.

as for HP....a Mack truck makes like 500 HP and an insane amount of torque...doesn't mean you want to drive one.
    And just why would it be in the shop all the time? I had two Stealths ( wrecked the first one ) and neither one broke. The only time they they ever needed work was when I was adding mods.

People do break 'em -- they're not indestructable. "Wow, look at that - I broke the transmission doing my 100th launch by sidestepping the clutch at 7k rpm". The gadgets will break? You mean adjustable shocks, that one motor that does the exhaust, or maybe the power windows? Nothing in there is gee-whiz anymore. You're right though - a 10yr old, turbo AWD car is not a good daily driver unless you plan to first spend a bundle on the maintenance that any 10yr old car of that nature will need. A basic clutch in that car will set you back $1000-1200 with labor.

The non-turbo models are indeed a waste of time. Why buy 90% of the car and then settle for FWD and 100 less hp?

I'm sure countless people laughed at my "Mack truck" in the staging lanes, and again as they watched my taillights through the traps. Clearly they still drove home in the "better" car.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

My experience with VR4's/Stealth TT's has been pretty polar. The ones that were well maintained by their drivers and replete with smart mods have been insanely fast. The beat-ones that were left to the wayside were incredibly slow. The most I ever got killed by a VR-4 was when I raced one with DR650 turbos (I dunno what that is, but that's what the guy told me he was running). I was newly Stage IV on the top-mount and I just got slaughtered; In fact I've never been walked so hard. Conversely, I seriously put the hurt on another guy with stock turbos (only had downpipes, mbc etc). He was having trouble launching, so it wasn't much contest.

I have a lot of respect for these cars, and just because they're DSM's doesn't mean they're ALWAYS in the shop broken (sorry couldn't resist ).
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

VR4
    [QUOTE=WMAWRX]My experience with VR4's/Stealth TT's has been pretty polar. The ones that were well maintained by their drivers and replete with smart mods have been insanely fast. The beat-ones that were left to the wayside were incredibly slow. The most I ever got killed by a VR-4 was when I raced one with DR650 turbos (I dunno what that is, but that's what the guy told me he was running). I was newly Stage IV on the top-mount and I just got slaughtered; In fact I've never been walked so hard. Conversely, I seriously put the hurt on another guy with stock turbos (only had downpipes, mbc etc). He was having trouble launching, so it wasn't much contest.

I have a lot of respect for these cars, and just because they're DSM's doesn't mean they're ALWAYS in the shop broken (sorry couldn't resist ).[QUOTE=WMAWRX]

i had those turbos in my old vr4... they can run almost 30psi with very little lag. I had mine at 15psi and it was a total beast, atleast for the couple weeks my clutch held up.
    Helix UP/TBE, ECUTEK
    230whp / 225 wtq

2005 Yamaha R1 Raven Black

I just gotta post here... check my sig pic and you will see why.
    I am on my third 3000GT, first was 1994 a base model (SL), second was a 1995 VR4, last and still own is a rare 1995 VR4 Spyder.
    These are very very good cars. The bad mouthing comes because so many of them are so poorly taken care of and are not tuned to their potential, stock or not.
    It has become fairly cheap to buy and many of them have over 100k-150k miles on them, and lots of retard kids have started buying and further abusing them. Not to mention putting gawd awful body kits etc on the.
    In skilled hands and when properly cared for these cars are exquisite.
    Heavy, yes...
    Great performer, yes and no (compared to what-other imports, then surely a competitor)
    Beautiful car, no doubt about it.
    Fun to drive, absolutely
    Push you in your seat when the turbos kick in? Yeah baby....
    Would I choose and RX7 or 300z over it? You gotta be kidding me, no contest and not a chance.
    This car turns more heads and gives me more thumbs up from men and the "OOOHH" mouth look from women than any other car I have owned.
    Is it my daily driver? No, the WRX is...
    Is it my favorite car - Absofrickinlootly
    Will I sell it - can't imagine that will ever happen.
    You can drop more ponies into the engine, and so long as you don't trash your tranny which every punk kid does at the track, then the drivetrain can handle it fine. They are well built and beautiful cars, weight or not they are fun to drive and handle like a dream.
    Just my opinion, but I love the VR4 especially the retractable hardtop spyder!
    Roger L
    F15DOC
    2003 WRX - Sold
    1995 3000GT VR4 Spyder
    199 Mercedes Benz CLK430
    http://gemini.tntech.edu/~trthompson21/SPYDER3.GIF

i know someone running high 11's who basically lives at the track his been there so much. He ran high 11's at famoso speedway. He dynoed around 450whp and 500wtrq.(heavey as fawk or would be quicker down the 1/4 mile track). Anyway, point of this post was that his tranny is holding up just fine with that much power. Even after many drag strip visits.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.