Subaru WRX Forum banner

21 psi STi versus M3 SC (Vid)

5K views 73 replies 28 participants last post by  DTR rex 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I am not surprised at that outcome but with some more mods the sti could take him a s/c m3 is not invinsible

#5 ·
We did two runs...the first one my wife didn't get much of with the camera. But it was similar to the below run.

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

I wish my wife would tape my races... :cool:
Props to the fast as hell M3. :thumbup:

#10 ·
MidKnight said:
Why not?

Very fast M3. Gotta love FI.
idk, the m3 only made 16whp more than his sti, and he got killed that bad. the race should've been closer than that. i know awd is not good from a roll,but something just isn't right. i would like to know what turbo the sti is running? ;)

#11 ·
BrianH said:
hmm 21 psi on what turbo, if it's a vf39 and that's a top dog in that area that's quite funny.
I doubt its the 39. 400whp on a 39 would be basically impossible.

creditcards said:
idk, the m3 only made 16whp more than his sti, and he got killed that bad. the race should've been closer than that. i know awd is not good from a roll,but something just isn't right. i would like to know what turbo the sti is running? ;)
Its perfectly feasible. The M3 is making about 20whp more than the STi. Not to mention the M3 has superior gearing, a higher redline, and a flatter torque curve. What happened seems PERFECTLY legit.

#12 · (Edited)
Doubt it's gearing M3 and sti are pretty damn close in gearing when comparing the 6mt's with the exception that the m3's got a taller first

It's really hard to tell about the torque curve without knowing anything about the sti,plus with its short gearing starting at 60 it wouldn't matter very long. With stock shift points on the usdm 6mt you should be getting into the next gear right around 5500rpms which combined iwth the load at higher speeds would put you in your sweet spot on most larger turbos.

I just chalk it up to a 300lb weight difference and the fact dynos don't mean anything.

#13 ·
BrianH said:
the fact dynos don't mean anything.
That's the most important thing here. 400whp on one dyno can be 350whp on another and 450whp on another. Regardless of which car dyno'ed at what level, we obviously know which one is faster.

#16 · (Edited)
MidKnight said:
That's the most important thing here. 400whp on one dyno can be 350whp on another and 450whp on another. Regardless of which car dyno'ed at what level, we obviously know which one is faster.
If you read the thread over on the M3 forum, it is hinted at that they dynoed at the same place; that is how they met and decided to set up a race.

Either way, it is definitely the gearing, slightly less power, and drag that did the STi in. In regards to drag, sure the drag co-efficients are the same for the two cars but the frontal area differences are probably pretty different.

I also don't think the STi lost THAT badly. I certainly wouldn't be ashamed to lose to a 416whp M3...

The really interesting race they are setting up is with a Porsche 911 X50. That thing should be more of a challenge...it is heavier but also more aerodynamic (I think).

#18 ·
Digitalfiend said:
If you read the thread over on the M3 forum, it is hinted at that they dynoed at the same place; that is how they met and decided to set up a race.
I hadn't read that much of the thread. You're absolutely right....

#20 · (Edited)
BrianH said:
Doubt it's gearing M3 and sti are pretty damn close in gearing when comparing the 6mt's with the exception that the m3's got a taller first

It's really hard to tell about the torque curve without knowing anything about the sti,plus with its short gearing starting at 60 it wouldn't matter very long. With stock shift points on the usdm 6mt you should be getting into the next gear right around 5500rpms which combined iwth the load at higher speeds would put you in your sweet spot on most larger turbos.

I just chalk it up to a 300lb weight difference and the fact dynos don't mean anything.

they arent close in gearing at all. Chipped m3 can do around 40 in 1st well over 60 in 2nd and can hit 100mph in 3rd. So while your in the sti shifting into 5th(4th runs out around 100mph in sti) the m3 is still in 3rd. That m3 also weighs only 3200 as its had some weigh reduction with lighter exhaust battery etc.

edit: just talked to my friend with m3, he says stock they run out 3rd at about 100 and with a chip which means higher redline around 106.

#21 ·
AwdTurboWrx said:
they arent close in gearing at all. Chipped m3 can do around 40 in 1st well over 60 in 2nd and can hit 100mph in 3rd. So while your in the sti shifting into 5th(4th runs out around 100mph in sti) the m3 is still in 3rd. That m3 also weighs only 3200 as its had some weigh reduction with lighter exhaust battery etc.

edit: just talked to my friend with m3, he says stock they run out 3rd at about 100 and with a chip which means higher redline around 106.

Well sti's run up to 37 in first and around 56 in second.

Gear ratios FYI:

STI:
1 3.636
2 2.375
3 1.761
4 1.346
5 1.062
6 0.842
Final Drive: 3.900

M3:

1st 4.23:1
2nd 2.53:1
3rd 1.67:1
4th 1.23:1
5th 1.00:1
6th 0.83:1

Not sure what the FD of the m3 is but as you can see the gear ratios aren't that far off.

#22 ·
BrianH said:

new m3's have a taller 2nd as well and can hit 80 + mph in second which is alot higher than the sti can hit in second. my buddy has 2 of them . they are sweet cars,and fast cars as well. no shame in losing to a modded m3

#25 ·
i just read that whole thread, those guys are cool. its encouraging to see other enthusiasts giving props even though our brethren was defeated.

M3's are such well balanced cars. They may be putting out nearly the same whp, but the comments posted on the M3 site are totally on spot. the edge was given to the M, a less lossy drivetrain, much smoother(and deeper) powerband, and WAY faster shifts. the STi driver looked like he was taking a sip of coffee between shifts in comparison...

#26 ·
bigd said:
i just read that whole thread, those guys are cool. its encouraging to see other enthusiasts giving props even though our brethren was defeated.

M3's are such well balanced cars. They may be putting out nearly the same whp, but the comments posted on the M3 site are totally on spot. the edge was given to the M, a less lossy drivetrain, much smoother(and deeper) powerband, and WAY faster shifts. the STi driver looked like he was taking a sip of coffee between shifts in comparison...
smg m3's are way too fast when it comes to shifting, makes them even harder to compete with on the highway, or anywhere else (off a roll atleast)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.