Subaru WRX Forum banner

21 psi STi versus M3 SC (Vid)

5K views 73 replies 28 participants last post by  DTR rex 
#1 ·
#28 ·
yes, RWD. one of the most famed "sports" cars of recent history. its a typical 2/4dr sedan from BMW's 3 series(ie: 325, 330, etc), but with a handful of upgrades that make it a blast to drive. (kinda like the impreza and the STi). they also have an M5 (from the 5 series, (528, 525,) which is larger, heavier, and more expensive, but has more grunt and power. M's are teh sexay.

#29 · (Edited)
DTR rex said:
I doubt its the 39. 400whp on a 39 would be basically impossible.

Its perfectly feasible. The M3 is making about 20whp more than the STi. Not to mention the M3 has superior gearing, a higher redline, and a flatter torque curve. What happened seems PERFECTLY legit.
The ESX STi makes 425 hp on the stock vf39 turbo :wiggles: , well not quite 400whp but up there. He also could have inflated his numbers a little, liek if he had 380 hp and just said he had 400 as a nice round number.

If it was a larger turbo such as a 20G or something, I wouldve thought it to pull harder up top since SC generally run out of breath as the rpms increase..*shrug*

M3's are beautiful, and SC'd ones are even more beautiful yet

#31 ·
BrandonWRX said:
The ESX STi makes 425 hp on the stock vf39 turbo :wiggles: , well not quite 400whp but up there. He also could have inflated his numbers a little, liek if he had 380 hp and just said he had 400 as a nice round number.

If it was a larger turbo such as a 20G or something, I wouldve thought it to pull harder up top since SC generally run out of breath as the rpms increase..*shrug*
yeah, but is the turbo ported, or does it have cams and other significant engine work?
The average person does not have the time and money and risk involvement to get a VF39 upto 400whp. With basic bolt on's and a PHENOMINAL tune people are getting like 320whp tops on the VF39. I think its safe to say this guy was not on a VF39 if he really was making around 400whp.

#32 ·
Yes im sure he wasnt on the stock turbo, just throwing out that it is possible. I dont see why anyone would stick witht he vf39 and try to get 400 whp since it can be done for relativley cheaper with an upgraded turbo.

#37 ·
SOUTHPAW said:
If there is one thing I've learned going from a ~330 AWHP car to a ~330 RWHP car, it's that AWD sucks on the highway! (unless you got that 600+ AWHP Evo... ;) )

If you were talking about crank horsepower thats one thing, but 330 to the ground is 330 to the ground. I'd think the turbo set-up, weight, aerodynamics gearing and power curve would make the difference.

#41 ·
After watching both runs again I have come to the conclusion that the STi can't possibly have close to equal WHP as the M3...

Either that or the driver is too damn lazy to put down his burrito and shift. :wiggles:

#43 ·
SOUTHPAW said:
After watching both runs again I have come to the conclusion that the STi can't possibly have close to equal WHP as the M3...

Either that or the driver is too damn lazy to put down his burrito and shift. :wiggles:

again.

the cars weigh about the same, the M3 has the SMG shifting for it, the M3 makes about 20whp more, the M3 has superior gearing, M3 more than likely is making more torque.

M3 puts a few cars on the STi.... PERFECTLY FEASIBLE. :wiggles:

#46 ·
SOUTHPAW said:
Did you watch both vids? He was pulling on him pretty damn good...

well to give you the benefit of the doubt... Lets say the STi driver was rounding up and only makes 387whp. That still means on top of the quicker shifting SMG, the better gearing, the same weight, then the M3 is still making over 30whp more... I dont see what is so difficult to comprehend about this. That STi had to been making AROUND 400whp (say 385-400). anything less and that M3 would have completely destroyed him instead of what he actually did, which was moderately walk him.

#48 · (Edited)
DTR rex said:
...what he actually did, which was moderately walk him.
Just watched it again for the 4th time...

I've seen a lot of races and I wouldn't exactly call that a "moderate walk"...

He didn't leave him standing still or anything but that was definately a rather brisk walk... ;)

Who cares, it is what it is, the M is faster, or the STi driver sucks... :cool:

#49 ·
SOUTHPAW said:
Who caes it is what it is the M is faster, or the STi driver sucks... :cool:

that is why I care. I dont believe the problem lied soley in the driving capabilities of the STi driver. I think the STi just got beat by a car better designed for those speeds, that was also making 20-30whp more ;)

#51 ·
SOUTHPAW said:

400 crank horsepower is more like it. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.