Ford Focus RS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ford Focus RS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Anyone else seen the October issue of Car magazine ? If so, what do you think of the car ? ...

Ford Focus RS

Anyone else seen the October issue of Car magazine ? If so, what do you think of the car ? Not sold here yet obviously, but looks like Ford is taking aim at the WRX.

Cover story is the Focus RS and plenty of ink about it inside. Turbo, 213 hp / 227 ft.lbs. torque, Brembos, pulls .94g on the skidpad, etc. This is the car Ford should have built as the SVT Focus in the first place, IMO.

Press release link (no US release plans mentioned)

http://www.focusrs.net/latest.htm

Pics:

http://www.focusrs.net/ford_media.htm
    Old, but not slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Couldn't find much info on it ...
    What's the curb weight and is it FWD or RWD?
    Ad astra per aspera

Good question about the weight. I don't have the mag here at work, but I'll look it up later. FWD, so it stands to reason it's a bit lighter than the WRX. Does have a limited-slip differential. In the magazine, they compared it to the Civic Type R and the WRX. The testers found it handled better than the WRX on smooth pavement, but when things got bumpy, the stiffer Focus started to flounder, whereas the WRX took it in stride.
    Old, but not slow.

I dont like the look of the RS. It looks like a shopping cart for your girlfriend or gay boyfriend, whichever.

I prefer the WRX far better than the RS.

I don't believe the Focus RS was all that heavy. I can't remember the weight they posted in CAR.

Definately a car I would love to own if they sold that here in the States. Drool.

Why can't we have those Cosworth Fords here in the States??!!!

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

I don't believe the Focus RS was all that heavy. I can't remember the weight they posted in CAR.

Definately a car I would love to own if they sold that here in the States. Drool.

Why can't we have those Cosworth Fords here in the States??!!!

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

bottom line though its still a focus
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

You can't consider the Focus RS a direct competitor for the WRX. It has no turbo and no AWD.

It will be a nice little performance hatch.....for me to poop on.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    You can't consider the Focus RS a direct competitor for the WRX. It has no turbo and no AWD.

It will be a nice little performance hatch.....for me to poop on.

-Jim
    The RS has a Garrett turbo, Platinum. Perhaps you're thinking of the lesser SVT Focus. Could you still poop on it ? Yeah.
    Old, but not slow.

Originally posted by ScoobySteve
    The RS has a Garrett turbo, Platinum. Perhaps you're thinking of the lesser SVT Focus. Could you still poop on it ? Yeah.
    How did I miss that? Then why the hell is it so slow. I guess I'll be bolting a REAL Garrett turbo to those little beasts too.

Yes, I'd poop all over it in either of PPE's monster cars.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

why the hell is it so slow. I guess I'll e bolting a REAL Garrett turbo to those little beasts too.

-Jim
    Very good question. Can't find any weight figures, but for a small turbocharged FWD car putting out 229 ft.lbs. of torque, 0-60 in 6.4 sec and 0-100 in 15.5 doesn't really impress.

More info on the turbo, Garrett GT2560LS, quoting Car, "a state-of-the-art item with a stainless steel body and water-cooled bearing housing." Given the capable chassis and availability of tuner parts, IMO a Focus would be a fun project car. But given the limitations of FWD, how much could you really tweak it before you started bumping up against the threshold of torque steer ?
    Old, but not slow.

Automobile Mag just did a comparison between the Focus, WRX and the Civic Type-R. They liked the Focus, almost more than the WRX. I just read the article two days ago. Check your local newstand if you are truly interested.

Bottom line, they thought the Focus was a better handling car. But they did say that they were re-impressed with the WRX. They had forgotten how good of a car it was.

I Support ClubWRX
    A little more info on the Focus RS and pictures:

http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/fordfocusrs.html

search for the top gear episode of the Focus RS. They compare it directly with a WRX and a Civic type-R. It was much faster around the track then both competitors, especially the WRX. However when the roads turned bad, the wrx stayed calm, while the Focus just couldn't handle it...
    autobahn storming scooby

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    The focus RS is a badass little car. If it comes stateside it will be
    2003 SRT-4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.