Stg.2 WRX vs 04 GLI with mods - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stg.2 WRX vs 04 GLI with mods within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I lined up with my friend who has a GTI with V6 lets just say that once I hit boost ...

I lined up with my friend who has a GTI with V6 lets just say that once I hit boost it wasn't preety for him, no launch about 10 mph roll (I knew that a launch would make him give up early). The funny thing was that I met him on the street while he was racing from light to light and was like "man this GTI moves", but once I put the hurt on him he was shaking his head .
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ak_wrx
    Just sold my 01 A4 1.8T today and bought my WRX. It would take a K04, chip, full exhaust, stage 2 clutch just to beat a stock WRX. If I tried to launch my car over 3k it would just slip on the stock clutch. The GLI's are much faster but a stock one shouldn't be able to hang with a WRX even from a roll. Diverter valves are silent, unless he had a hybrid.

are you sure you owned a vw? 01-02 1.8t = 150stock crank hp. 02.5 and up = 180 crank. I can annihilate a stock wrx from a roll and maybe from a stop depending on how is launching abilities are (it he's not a very good driver). My car is probably putting down about 200whp/250ftlbs of tq. The reason I say this, it my friend has almost the exact same setup as me but with different exhaust. Stock WRX's are only putting down what, 175awhp/ft lbs tq? That's a huge power difference from a roll and maybe enough to give an advantage from a stop depending on driving abilities (Yes, I know awd launched properly will pull 1.6 60' times without too much problem, but I've seen people do that in fwd cars.).

I've beaten a lightly modded WRX from 60-120 on the the highway without much of a problem at all. And by lightly modded, I mean removed the cats with a full exhaust, including UP DP and test pipe. He even had a BoV and some other little mods. But he still was probably putting down as much hp but no where near as much torque.

And saying gli's are much faster isn't true. They have the same 180hp at the crank 1.8t motor that all 1.8t vw's had after 2002. The only GLI that was "faster" was the 2004 vr6 and it only had 20 more hp.

Diverter valves aren't always silent. And no you don't have to buy and aftermarket one. All you have yo do it put on a CAI and the 1.8t with the stock diverter valve sounds almost identical to a car with a BOV

And going on to the turbos. Not a lot of people put the k04's on them. I have a friend with a gt28rs going to gt30. I'm probably getting a t3/t04 hybrid (that's supposed to put down about 330whp). T3's are also a common turbo swap as well...

There's a company that also got 300whp out of a k04s...

And vr6t's...a wrx shouldn't mess with those unless they've got a lot done. Just a turbo set up on one running about 8psi can push 350whp. My friend ran his MK II GTI with vr6t, and 17x7.5 wheels and launching from second gear. He ran 13.1 in the 1/4. Not bad for a vw.
    Last edited by YZFWV; 06-22-2005 at 02:40 PM.

I saw one on the road this week. Very nice car.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

I have a 2003 wrx (basically stock) and my wife has a 2004 grey gli and a wrx is way faster. The gli has some awesome mid and low end though.

my friend has a gli with tbe intake revo chip reflash +diverter valve and my brother has an 05 wrx with tbe no reflash or a mbc and he beats gli off a roll or a launch, but it is a close race. Also if you race any vw, lower you go better for them, at 45mph you were in 2nd he was probably in 3rd in his best torque/power and thats why he did well, now if you race a vw 20mph roll in 1st gear or 45mph both of you in 2nd you will destroy him cause vw turboes die out since they are so small.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy
    I lined up with my friend who has a GTI with V6 lets just say that once I hit boost it wasn't preety for him, no launch about 10 mph roll (I knew that a launch would make him give up early). The funny thing was that I met him on the street while he was racing from light to light and was like "man this GTI moves", but once I put the hurt on him he was shaking his head .
    v6 golfs are slow
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    v6 golfs are slow

and stock IS300's are even slower, lol.... but not to some people i'll explain later if anyone cares
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    v6 golfs are slow

my friend has a mkII gti vr6t running 20psi.

he ran 13.1 launching it from 2nd to get traction....

good luck with one of those things it you ever come acrossed it...

Ok as a former 1.8t owner lets get a few things straight. Stock 1.8ts have either 150 or 180 hp and both are pretty slow. A full bolton 1.8t is only going to make ~200 whp give or take. I had a 2002 1.8t GTI with APR chip and a turboback and a few other mods. I ran 14.3@97 on pump gas and 14.0@99 on race gas. 13s are VERY rare on a stock 1.8t turbo. I would have eventually but I was also really good at launching it, getting 2.1-2.2 60's. Most chipped 1.8ts will run high to mid 14s with a regular driver. Full bolt on 1.8ts will run mid to low 14s. Stock 1.8ts will not make more than 210 whp and even thats pushing it. The K04 is a piece of crap turbo and hardly any differen than a stock 1.8t (k03) turbo. K04s max out at like 240 whp TOPS. Whoever says they can make 300 whp with a K04 has no idea what they are talking about. Maybe crank hp which is meaningless. From a dig, a stage II rex shoudl own a bolton 1.8t. From a roll 40-100 its pretty close but the K03 fizzles after 3rd gear and the wrx should have the slight edge here.

i love when vw people say they beat cars from a ''roll'' i love these rolls. You people have to understand there are two different types of rolls Regular roll races, 1st gear 20, 2nd gear 40, 3rd gear 60 etc etc. Than we have the VW rolls, 1st gear 10mph. 2nd gear 20mph,,,3rd gear 30mph aka special olympic races.

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    i love when vw people say they beat cars from a ''roll'' i love these rolls. You people have to understand there are two different types of rolls Regular roll races, 1st gear 20, 2nd gear 40, 3rd gear 60 etc etc. Than we have the VW rolls, 1st gear 10mph. 2nd gear 20mph,,,3rd gear 30mph aka special olympic races.
    Sweet spots in the 5 speed 1.8t are the same as in the WRX. 2nd gear: 40-45mph 3rd gear: 65-70. Maybe you are thinking of the 6 speed 1.8ts which are going to be similar to the STi anyways. Your point doesnt make much sense.

As for racing from a roll I agree. I real race is from a stop. Racing from a roll is for people who cant drive!

5 or 6 speed, they just love those low end rolls cause vw has good low end torque, My friend with 5 speed gti refused to race at 40mph roll cause his turbo was out of life according to him not much after. but anyway, i shouldnt say much since now i like special olympic races with the sti.

40-45 mph is probably the most ideal starting speed for a 1.8t in 2nd gear.

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    5 or 6 speed, they just love those low end rolls cause vw has good low end torque, My friend with 5 speed gti refused to race at 40mph roll cause his turbo was out of life according to him not much after. but anyway, i shouldnt say much since now i like special olympic races with the sti.

that's dumb...that would be launching at less that 2k rpm...the turbo isn't even spooled by then. I'll race from 45 in second any day, but from anything lower than 45 in 2nd is idiocy because it'll take forever for the turbo to get moving.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzman
    Ok as a former 1.8t owner lets get a few things straight. Stock 1.8ts have either 150 or 180 hp and both are pretty slow. A full bolton 1.8t is only going to make ~200 whp give or take. I had a 2002 1.8t GTI with APR chip and a turboback and a few other mods. I ran 14.3@97 on pump gas and 14.0@99 on race gas. 13s are VERY rare on a stock 1.8t turbo. I would have eventually but I was also really good at launching it, getting 2.1-2.2 60's. Most chipped 1.8ts will run high to mid 14s with a regular driver. Full bolt on 1.8ts will run mid to low 14s. Stock 1.8ts will not make more than 210 whp and even thats pushing it. The K04 is a piece of crap turbo and hardly any differen than a stock 1.8t (k03) turbo. K04s max out at like 240 whp TOPS. Whoever says they can make 300 whp with a K04 has no idea what they are talking about. Maybe crank hp which is meaningless. From a dig, a stage II rex shoudl own a bolton 1.8t. From a roll 40-100 its pretty close but the K03 fizzles after 3rd gear and the wrx should have the slight edge here.
    was '02 the last year you owned a vw? About a month ot two ago a company came out with a k04s running 297 at the wheels with an intercooler sprayer. That's a lot more that your 240 at the wheels, and they definately know what they're talking about....And I've seen fully bolted on 1.8t's with 220-230whp. All of this stuff back up with dyno charts...and there are gti's with the stock turbos getting high 13's. A little weight reduction, almost all the bolton work done, and it's not impossible.

Duh, AWD launches > than FWD launches as long as the person in the AWD car isn't a moron and knows what he's doing, instead of blowing up the transmission like a lot of people.

And as racing from a roll, I hear the wrx is pretty crappy after 3rd itself. I don't know about you, but my car pulls hard from 80-120 in 5th. From talking to other wrx owners, they don't seem to like those speeds...something about the car's not exactly pulling to well up there. There's several around town that I want to race, and none of them will. They all have excuses "Aww, I don't like racing from a roll...it's not exactly fair...". Yeah I've heard that before....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast