STi vs. LT1 Z28
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on STi vs. LT1 Z28 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Quick version: Following parents first to Winn-Dixie then to a cookout for church. On way to Winn-Dixie, we turned out ...

STi vs. LT1 Z28

Quick version: Following parents first to Winn-Dixie then to a cookout for church. On way to Winn-Dixie, we turned out onto the "highway" and a Z28 turned out coming from the other way. Turn to Winn-Dixie was not too terribly far ahead, so I needed to get over so slowed down to get behind the Z28 (wasn't wanting to race). Z28 slowed down and sped up with me to keep me from getting over. Drop to 4th at 60 mph, wail on the gas, see front end of Z28 get a little lift and then the Camaro becomes a distant spot. Got behind parents, made my turn. Camaro went straight but turned to come back into the shopping center. He passed by me in the parking lot when I was headed for Winn-Dixie with my dad. When I loudly commented to my dad that it's $20 up front to run me, Camaro driver got pissed looking and left.

I think he was stock. The Z28 had those flat looking dual exhaust tips. I say LT1 due to headlight shape since that's the only way I really know to identify the year model. It wasn't the curvier, molded looking lights like the new ones but the more squared ones. Only race I've had in quite some time and for the Z28, it wasn't pretty, so thought I'd just post the basics with as little commentary as possible.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The LT1 stock Z28 is slow. A stock WRX would give a good run in the quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    +1... stock they are nothing to be concerned with.

nice run
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Well, stock for stock, I knew they wouldn't stand against an STi, but then count in that I'm modded and it just made it that much easier to get where I needed to be. I just wish he hadn't forced it like that. Also, it was from a roll, though still no doubt about the outcome.

How much of a challenge would one present with a few mods? No one around here seems to mod those except with a huge dual exhaust system to make it loud but not much faster.

RN

Quote Originally Posted by renichms
    Well, stock for stock, I knew they wouldn't stand against an STi, but then count in that I'm modded and it just made it that much easier to get where I needed to be. I just wish he hadn't forced it like that. Also, it was from a roll, though still no doubt about the outcome.

How much of a challenge would one present with a few mods? No one around here seems to mod those except with a huge dual exhaust system to make it loud but not much faster.

RN
    They mod up ok, I have a friend in NJ with a 95 LT1 camaro that has a mild cam, its stroked to 383ci, msd, intake, headers, exhaust he dyno'd like 315whp i beleive, i know it was just over 300whp, he had huge problems with tracktion though (stock wheels & tires). I've seen a few of them reletively modded at the strip running mid-high 13's but usually its just the 98+ models that I see much faster than that.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    They mod up ok, I have a friend in NJ with a 95 LT1 camaro that has a mild cam, its stroked to 383ci, msd, intake, headers, exhaust he dyno'd like 315whp i beleive, i know it was just over 300whp, he had huge problems with tracktion though (stock wheels & tires). I've seen a few of them reletively modded at the strip running mid-high 13's but usually its just the 98+ models that I see much faster than that.
    Aren't the 98+ models LS1?

RN

Quote Originally Posted by renichms
    Aren't the 98+ models LS1?

RN
    Yes, 98+ are LS1s

I had a 94 z28 When it was running good it was a 14.0 @ 100 mph car. Definately faster than a WRX, especially from a roll.

One of the problems with LT1's is that not too many of them are in good running condition. Most have well over 100k miles on them.

But I know a guy with a stock looking LT1 that runs mid 12s with bolt ons, cam, and converter. So they can be made fast pretty easily.

Last edited by AsianWRX; 05-10-2005 at 10:16 AM.
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    Certainly you're not implying that a stock WRX is slow ?
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

i didnt have any problems with the lt1 z28 in a stock wrx wagon. but this was from a stop so i trounced it. it was creeping up on me pretty fast after we both were up in the 70-80 realm though.

this was stock vs stock by the way.

the owner of the camaro was shocked to have been owned by a wagon though
    Last edited by Mr Kooyulator; 05-10-2005 at 12:25 PM.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kooyulator
    i didnt have any problems with the lt1 z28 in a stock wrx wagon. but this was from a stop so i trounced it. it was creeping up on me pretty fast after we both were up in the 70-80 realm though.

this was stock vs stock by the way.

the owner of the camaro was shocked to have been owned by a wagon though
    I should try that sometime in my brother's wagon. If this had been from a stop, the Camaro would have been absolutely murdered. It would've gotten ugly very very fast. As it was, I started in 4th gear from 1 car behind and ended before redline in 4th gear, ahead by 1 car.

RN

wtf is your problem guys....honestly
    is flaming all you guys do anymore?
    why dont you flame everyone else who says welcome in the newbie section or nice win,kill,race or w/e in the race section
    Last edited by WRXcelration; 05-10-2005 at 03:28 PM.
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

There's a guy I work with who has a LT1 and he's always talking ****. He has long tube headers, CAI, chip, 373 gears oh and it's a auto. I'm stage 1 and that's it and he can't pass me from a dig until 80+ mph. I'm getting up-pipe and short shifter and he and I and some people are going to Cordova to drag race on May 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcelration
    why dont you flame everyone else who says welcome in the newbie section or nice win,kill,race or w/e in the race section
    Where did that come from?

RN

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcelration
    because 1,200 of your 1,208 posts say "nice kill"....

edit: don't get me wrong, your other 8 posts made sense and were helpfull to the thread starter.
    Last edited by GIDDYupREX; 05-18-2005 at 06:35 PM.
    Evan
    MY12 WRX Limited hatch - stock, still in break-in
    MY10 Forester Limited
    SOLD - MY03 WRX - PSM; AP Stage 2+up-pipe

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.