Stock '05 STi vs lightly modded '03 Evo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock '05 STi vs lightly modded '03 Evo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It started off with me chillin, right off base, at an All-Sups gas station. This nice looking Yellow evo pulled ...

Stock '05 STi vs lightly modded '03 Evo

It started off with me chillin, right off base, at an All-Sups gas station. This nice looking Yellow evo pulled up next to us, goes in the store and on his way out I yell out "thats a nice car you got there" he compliments me on the same, and we get to talking. I later find out, hes been wanting to race a STi, seeing how theres only 1 on base, Mine, and maybe 2 in the whole town. Theres like an infestation of evo's running around here. Well I also find out, his mods are as follows:
    STi: Stock
    Evo:Tbe, Intake, bigger fuel pump, and some avr something, didnt understand him, im thinking Boost controller, with aftermarket clutch.
    Well we decide to race, with all our friends watching, a auto WS-6, 400whp Blue Evo, h-22 75 shot gutted hatch, white stock evo, Silver stock evo.
    We raced 3 Times, all from dead stops. I have just barely learned my car's tranny, and clutch, since this is my first stick. His friend flags us, on a VERY VERY deserted hick town road.
    Race 1: I get the launch, and hold a 1.5 car lead till about 110 where he begins to catch up, but I shut down, considering thats a little past the 1/4 mile, I think he would have caught me at 120 or so.
    Race 2: We launch about the same, but my second gear just rips him, and I get a good .5 to 1 car, and I finish at 110 by about .5 cars
    Race 3: He jumps his friends hands, and I shut down at 2nd gear, cause I knew I didnt have enough to begin to catch up to him.
    All in All I just very very much surprised I even kept up with him. I was pretty intimidated, seeing how he was a good driver, and he had modifications, plus racing from a stop (my advantage) versus another AWD car. I kept telling him how I couldnt believe I didnt get blasted away, and he kept saying "you should have more confidence, those STi's are no joke, I knew you would either hang, or get me, I just didnt know by how much." I have to give it to him, he did have from 110- up topend on me, maybe because of the mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

he had the apexi avc-r. an electronic boost controller. nice runs though. alot of evo's with his setup dyno around 300 whp or more. good race
    " I'm a bad man"

Banned
    Hahahahaaaa after allllllll those mods you still walked him

A flash would have put him into the 330awhp/tq if he was catless. Awesome run, strong running STI.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

from talking to him, I highly doubt he was tuned. But maybe he did it in another state.. or tuned it himself, but here in Clovis NM, theres really nothing around for hundreds of miles. I think he had 1 high flow cat too. But I was as surprised as alot of other people witnessing the races.

i have not raced any STI's in my evo yet, but then again, i have not raced anybody cuz i only have 300 miles on my car. once i get to 1000 miles, 350 whp here i come
    " I'm a bad man"

Since then he has put in a 75 Shot, and he keeps calling me up to race agian, but I have to decline every time , cause comon, if the race was that even an close, a 75 shot would destroy me

wow, you really must hurt have his ego a bit. he could have spent his money on a flash rather than nitrous.
    " I'm a bad man"

Damn, Evos arent as fast as I thought they were
    Gook kill

I was happy with the results, but people have told me before, the 03 evo cant beat a 05 sti stock for stock in a straight line, driver's race? dunno... I'm just happy i've had the opportunity to purchase my STi, VIVA SUBARU

Every EVO varies from one another. Some are alot faster then others. Dyno numbers prove that.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

Im really surprised on the out come of this. Good race!

alot of evo's with his setup dyno around 300 whp or more. good race
    This must be after a reflash, otherwise there is no way a stock sti would hang... let alone win.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

It's more like 250-260 at the wheels. A flash, S-AFC, or an ecu upgrade will put him very close to 300.
    Quote Originally Posted by dviousboxer
    he had the apexi avc-r. an electronic boost controller. nice runs though. alot of evo's with his setup dyno around 300 whp or more. good race

Agree with GREDDY, there can be a decent variation on those cars. Either way, very nice runs with some good driving!
    2004 Cobra 500/501 SAE
    11.5 @ 120 hotlapped
    *Sold* 2004 STI 20g
    11.7 @ 116, 11.9 @ 118

I think his EVO needs a tune. I met a guy at the track with a newish EVO that had basically the same mods (TBE, intake, EBC, and something else I can't remember)
    I was expecting him to run 12s for sure. The runs I saw him do were in the 13.6 @ 101 mph range. Way off the pace for an EVO with all those mods. I know stock EVO's can run these times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast